Going very fast on the treadmill--safe? (Read 565 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

That's learning how to use it.

Being a road runner will never make you better on the treadmill. However learning to get good at treadmill training has exponential impact to improve your road, track or trail running techniques.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

#artbydmcbride

That's learning how to use it.

Being a road runner will never make you better on the treadmill. However learning to get good at treadmill training has exponential impact to improve your road, track or trail running techniques.

I would imagine form would be a critical component!

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

In outdoor running, forward motion is momentum, which is a balance force that simply doesn't exist if you're on a treadmill. For the observant coach, it amplifies the errors in running technique natural momentum masks.

That's why its the best place to focus on improving your form through improving your balance skills.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Bah, it's all relative.  I mean look how fast this fellow can run on one, and he's healthy....    :-)

18 Second Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyA0MlpFtg

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Clearly that guy is lacking balance.

Bah, it's all relative.  I mean look how fast this fellow can run on one, and he's healthy....    :-)

18 Second Video

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

sport jester

Biomimeticist

there's a huge difference between running 25MPH, and staying upright on a 25 MPH belt pulling underneath you.

Especially since he couldn't run 25 MPH on a firm surface...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Running on a treadmill at ANY speed is EXTREMELY dangerous.    If you're not careful, or if you are on it for more than five minutes, you risk your brain going into a complete and permanent vegatative state of mind!    Be afraid, be very afraid!

And if you're female and your uterus falls out it could get sucked under the belt and tangle in the motor and stuff.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TJoseph

18 Second Video

His legs were a complete blur.  I am pretty sure I would have hurt something trying that.

JPF

sport jester

Biomimeticist

High speed on a belt really doesn't mean anything. At some point, all you do is let the belt pull your foot back while your efforts are to get the weightless leg forward as fast as you can.

Is it impressive? Of course because it shows how fast in leg turnover speed we're capable of generating.

But is it a "real" running speed? Of course not.

The treadmill is an exercise in balance skill. The more refined your balance, the less energy wasted in forward movement.

NHLA

It is safe to go fast on a treadmill. Run 3-5 min intervals as fast as you can run for 8 min. then run 3-5 min slow. then do it again.  Put incline on 0.  Remember TM is not running its cross training. Get well and get back on the road.

It is safe to go fast on a treadmill. Run 3-5 min intervals as fast as you can run for 8 min. then run 3-5 min slow. then do it again.  Put incline on 0.  Remember TM is not running its cross training. Get well and get back on the road.

an amazing likeness

It is absolutely unsafe, and the government should ban it....I ran -- what is for me -- a very fast split today on  a treadmill only to notice the person next to me was going way faster. "She looks unsafe, there should be rules against that..." was the thought that came to mind. Or...something close to that.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Remember TM is not running its cross training. 

False.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

NHLA