OK, I need a excercise DVD, any suggestions? (Read 1250 times)

I just moved to a new place, have no treadmill, but I have an area in front of theTV to workout. ( can't afford a gym membership- until my D is final ) ...... So, I want a good core strenghtening workout that has some cardio. I still run, obviously so the cardio is not all too important, I guess. I really need to work my arms, my upper back, and my glutes. Running is great for the quads, but not my rear so much!!! I have 3, 5, and 10 lb weights and a band. I'm just starting my research and would really appreciate any tips. Thanks!!!

- Anya

De-slacking in progress

Can start using the RW Video's online http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-1-0-5,00.html Lots to watch there. The core series of work outs are very good- killers- I'm trying to get my core stronger also and all of this can be done at home

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Gotta TRI

I'm still a fan of the P90X DVDs. Core, Pilates, Yoga, Stretch,Strength, and Cardio are all covered.
        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a HUGE fan of Cathe Friedrich's stuff. She has a few DVDs that use the band...and all of her workouts use free weights and the barbell with plates in some capacity. Most of her stuff is intermediate/advanced level and uses fairly heavy stuff, but anything can be adapted with lighter weights for getting started. Her core work is BRUTAL. Lots of planks. She does some stuff on the ball that really hurts, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

I use this yoga DVD and like it. There is not much in the way of cardio, but it is great for flexibilty, strength, and balance. I've been doing it twice a week for about six weeks now, and have noticed the difference in my core and my hips (a lot of focus is on those areas). I never really noticed how inflexible my hips are until I started doing this DVD.

Not at it at all. 

xor

Rodney Yee's yoga stuff. I haven't come across a bad one in the series. The Yoga for Runners DVD is HARD.

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll head out to Best Buy or something to find some. Thank God I've been keeping up with my planks and stuff from my bootcamp days. Thanks for the help!

- Anya

Along for the Ride

"Core Performance" from Mark Verstegen is very good. If you go to the Core Performance Website, you can find some exercises without having to pay or join. There is also an EXCELLENT resource on the web for personal trainers - "PT on the net.com". It is by subscription, but is only $99 per year. They continuously update the site and the site is recommended by ASCM (American College of Sports Mediciine.) You can search by exercise and put together whole programs by muscle groups to be worked. I also got some very nice gifts for Christmas... "The perfect pushup" - yes, the thingie that's shown on TV. Awesome workout! I was able to do do 15 regular pushups before ... not with these things. 5 knee-pushups is all I have right now. And I got a "Total Body Fitness Kit" with a workout DVD in it. The cool thing it has different resistance bands and a dowel thingie that you can put in your door and then close the door on it. You can do Lat-pull downs and all the things where you needed machines before. I honestly think you don't ever need a gym membership to have an effective workout.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

This is the BEST dvd for runners out there! http://runningdvds.com/ Download it today! If I had your email, I could try and send you a copy.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Queen of 3rd Place

This is the BEST dvd for runners out there! http://runningdvds.com/ Download it today! If I had your email, I could try and send you a copy.
                      It appears from the preview of Vol. 1 that you need someone to help you with those exercises - is that the case? Arla

Ex runner

For that set of exercises, yes. I have never done them because of that fact. The rest is worth the price, and all I have needed. I do wish to someday employ DW to help with those, but if not...no biggie.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

xor

It appears from the preview of Vol. 1 that you need someone to help you with those exercises - is that the case? Arla
                          (raises hand)

too bad I'm all alone .... .lol

- Anya