Morning runs, do you eat first? (Read 945 times)

~Gordo~

Just a banana on weekdays with a water -- although banana burps can taste really bad Dead. Long run Saturdays is usually a banana, toast w/ peanut butter and a yogurt. As with others, it is usually at least 1 hour before I go run otherwise the tummy isn't happy. I would just experiment a little bit on your shorter runs and see what works.
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
      I eat before long morning runs. Usually pasta with peanut butter and a few hard boiled eggs....

Hawt and sexy

Nope. I have run up to 21 miles on just Gatorade during the run. But don't ask what I eat during the rest of the day after my long run. Kk?

I'm touching your pants.

Member Since 2008

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
          Dido.

The Greatest of All Time

Dido.
            Female English pop singer?
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Sweaty

Stop eating before running, I felt sick in the stomach as i was running, now only take one cup of coffee, water or a Energy bar that's all.
              I donĀ“r suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single moment. L.L
                Always eat before I go out- usually oatmeal & raisins, but have added some peanutbutter on toast too sometimes.
                  For me it depends on how early in the morning I'm running. If it's literally first thing (eg anywhere between 5.30am and say, 8.30) I'll always eat a banana and have a fair amount of water both during the night & in the morning (even though it means i'll have to stop & pee somewhere - I sweat a lot & get really thirsty so I HAVE to drink). If I'm running at say 10am I'll get up at 6.30ish & have porridge (oatmeal), which I seem to be able to digest pretty quickly (therefore not feel too full for the run). Any other type of fruit or milky type drinks and I feel sick. If I don't eat, my energy levels really drop & I spend most of my run whinging about being hungry & feeling tired. It's all trial and error. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you don't try it for the first time before a race, coz if something doesn't agree with you, it matters more than it does with a training run.
                    No, I don't eat in the AM before I run (even long runs up to 20 are w/just Gatorade)-I do have coffee. I can't eat before evening runs either, at least 3 hours...it makes me sick.
                      I don't eat before my morning runs. If it's a fairly long one - say 8 or more miles - sometimes I'll eat 3 clif shot bloks, and chase them with water, before I hit the road, just to get something in my system before running for an hour or longer.
                        I've heard that if one's stomach can't handle food in the morning it can be a good idea to have a high carb snack just before bed if you're going to attempt a long run the next day. Me, I wake up 2 hours before my long run, and eat my mother-in-law's banana bread. That is my food of choice, and helps my cause as a suck-up son-in-law Big grin
                        HOSS1961

Mid-weeks are at 5:30am or 6:00am so no chow. Weekends are later and usually longer and or faster so I fuel up w/peanutbutter on toast/bagel with banana and a cup of coffee. 2-3 hours ahead of a race and 2 hours ahead of a run.
                          HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured