New York Marathon 2013 Guaranteed Entry (Read 158 times)

ymmv

It looks like they finally published some news about it:

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/guaranteed_entry.htm

I'm a bit surprised that the 3-times-denied joggers like me will get in easier than those with qualifying times.

xhristopher

It looks like they finally published some news about it:

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/guaranteed_entry.htm

I'm a bit surprised that the 3-times-denied joggers like me will get in easier than those with qualifying times.

And they stiffened up the qualifying times recently. A 44 year old man must run under 2:50 for the marathon to qualify. Fortunately that same 44 year old can breeze in by running under 1:23 for the half.

Julia1971

Rats!  I would have had a half marathon qualifying time but took guaranteed entry to ensure I got in.  But, it looks like I still would have been subject to the whim of a lottery.  Oh well.

Congrats on getting in, YMMV.

I think it would be interesting if NYCM kept these tougher qualifying times for 2014.  Although, they really do need to tighten up that half marathon time.  They're really not equivalent.

ymmv

Congrats on getting in, YMMV.

Thanks! I can consistently lose up there with the best of 'em! Smile

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Hmm ... Less than 1 chance in 2000 of getting in to a race I don't actually want to run? No thanks. Y'all can have your fun without me. Wink

Liz

pace sera, sera

Resident Historian

I think it would be interesting if NYCM kept these tougher qualifying times for 2014.  Although, they really do need to tighten up that half marathon time.  They're really not equivalent.

Those standards are applicable for all future NYCM's, not just 2013.  For me the full marathon standard = BQ-46 minutes (since NYCM goes by your age on the day of the qualifiying race, rather than age on marathon day.  Not impossible, but I'd also find the half-marathon  standard easier (as would most people).

Buzzie - Not sure what your 1 in 2000 odds was based on, but certainly the lottery will be longer odds than usual.  And you get to pay for the lottery ticket too... you got the right conclusion!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Julia1971

Those standards are applicable for all future NYCM's, not just 2013.  For me the full marathon standard = BQ-46 minutes (since NYCM goes by your age on the day of the qualifiying race, rather than age on marathon day.  Not impossible, but I'd also find the half-marathon  standard easier (as would most people).

Buzzie - Not sure what your 1 in 2000 odds was based on, but certainly the lottery will be longer odds than usual.  And you get to pay for the lottery ticket too... you got the right conclusion!

I would think they're applicable to all future NYCMs until NYCM says they're not.  Wink  They changed the women's standard for 2012 after people pointed out how difficult they were, so, I don't know that NYRR feels locked in to these times once they're announced.

And, I think Buzzie is referencing only 2000 time qualifiers getting in via lottery.  However, if only 2000 time qualifiers apply, I think that means they have a 100% chance.

Resident Historian

"I would think they're applicable to all future NYCMs until NYCM says they're not.  Wink"  Joking OK, knew someone would call me on that.

"They changed the women's standard for 2012 after people pointed out how difficult they were, so, I don't know that NYRR feels locked in to these times once they're announced."  I thought sub-3 was a fair standard for open women!Big grin 

"And, I think Buzzie is referencing only 2000 time qualifiers getting in via lottery.  However, if only 2000 time qualifiers apply, I think that means they have a 100% chance."  Agreed.  

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

My bad ... clearly NOT math capable after this morning's tempo run. Black eye

Still, not interested. I'll watch it on TV.

Liz

pace sera, sera