Cooling off (Read 665 times)

jeffdonahue

Okay, so now that the nice weather is coming I could use some help. I love to get runs in outside in teh nice weather at lunch. However, I sweat a lot - and I mean A LOT. Does anyone have any good tips on how to cool down quickly after a run so that I am not sweating through my work clothes for the rest of the afternoon?
    C-R

Assuming you shower prior to returning to work ----- this is what works for me. Run easy - I mean very easy. So for instance I'm 2:30 more than 10K pace. Your HR stays lower and you cool down quicker. I also dedicate a little more time for cool down stretch. It shortens my distance at lunch but keeps me from looking like Kareem Adbul Jabbar flying the plane in Airplane. (Roger - Roger) Wink

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

icy cold shower.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I did a bunch of runs at lunch last summer. What I found works the best is.... walk the last 1/2 mile. Then cold shower... It could just be a time thing but I think planning to walk the last 1/2 mile lets the body cool down some first then the cold shower finishes the job. Otherwise just a cold shower shuts the sweating down for say 5 minutes then I am sweating again.
          jeffdonahue

Otherwise just a cold shower shuts the sweating down for say 5 minutes then I am sweating again.
            That is what I run into. I take a cold shower and the sweating stops for about five minutes. By the time I have my work clothes back on I am sweating again.
              When I used to have a swimming pool, I'd get back from a hot run and jump right in. The water was nice and cool and I'd feel very refreshed after a few minutes. I'd get out and start sweating like crazy. I've also tried cold showers, sitting in front of fans, sitting in air conditioning. Sometimes I'll get to the point where I'm uncomfortably cold. And I still sweat as soon as I leave those conditions. We sweaters just have to accept that we'll be sweating long after our runs.

-------------------------------------
              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Don't shower right away after your run. When I get done running I follow these steps: 1. Walk for about 2 minutes (perfect for outside the school to get to the pool and locker room) 2. Eat a granola bar (usually while walking around in the locker room a little longer) - often with sweaty clothes mostly removed. 3. Warm shower (w/soap and rinse) 4. Cold shower (continue cooling down) It's usually at least 5-10 minutes from the end of the run (which involves easy running for the last 8/10 of a mile if not the entire run) until I get in the shower, which gives my body a chance to wind down and stop sweating. The warm shower allows me to use the soap and actually get it to sud up and do some cleaning and then rinse off, and the cold shower to finish off just feels good and cools me off well. I'm not a huge sweater unless it is hot and humid anyway, but that seems to work out pretty well for me.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)