What do you do while running? (Read 1927 times)

I am The Tortoise

Daydream

People watch

Evaluate pony-tails, etc, etc...

Try to look like I know what I'm doing

Observe nature

Work on my breathing control

One of the ChiRunning principles is "Body Sensing" so I also work on that

Run, try to keep from face planting, keep eyes and ears open for other traffic (people, wildlife) as well as falling trees (been windy lately)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      trail2wlns

Remind myself this is "my time" ...not work, nor the neighbors space, no reason to wax and wane over the fiscal cliff, don't need to worry about why the Patriots will only win by 7 pts or be bothered by why my soccer kids' parents take forever to respond to my emails, the fact that there's only 3 weeks left before Xmas and the bank balance looks agonizingly low... just be... I try and take notice of everything I missed the last time I ran this or that trail, how there are still vibrant yellow leaves left on that elm, or the surf sounds incredibly loud today, feeling the rhythm..stride, arms, breath... it's similar to getting the wax right on that day you hit the trail skating on perfectly groomed snow on a slight downhill as you round the bend - everything is in alignment ,as it should be ...it's my meditation, my zen to be one with nature ..........and last but not least,  lest I break my neck,  as I'm flying down the trail, managing to avoid rocks and roots allowing gravity to carry me on it's wings ..feeling totally free when Otis ( my running partner - labradoodle puppy ) decides he absolutely has to stop right here, right now  in front of me to take note of that smell ... and in the most ungraceful manner  I manage to hurdle over him and avoid injuring both he and I, only to smile and remember how lucky I am to have such an opportunity

Buelligan

I ruminate.  I'm quite a ruminater while I'm running.

I never contemplate however... because only joggers contemplate.

Troy.

I listen to the coyotes calling to each other and try to judge how far away they are. And then I try to figure out if it will come down to a race or a fight.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Luke79

When I run without the iPod...I get songs stuck in my head and I cannot get them out.  It's always some random song and it goes on repeat, sometimes just the chorus or a certain part of a verse or something. 

I tend to be a bit more introspective on trails because you don't have other people or activities going on around you.  Sometimes that's good....sometimes I don't want to think too much. 

I don't see running as an opportunity to mull anything over.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I look at all of the pretty houses around Nashville and try not to get angry with the pedestrians that are oblivious to sidewalk-manner and the drivers that seem opposed to the concept of crosswalks.

I am a simpleton I guess....  Mostly daydreaming and checking how far I have gone as less often as possible. 

I don't use any Ipod, but I do usually think about the same song over and over again in my head.  Odd that it is just one song that I will think about on any given day as opposed to many, but it is what I have noticed occurs while I am running. 

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mmmmm...beer

I try to zone out as much as possible, while still paying enough attention to not get hit by a car.  I usually end up thinking about running of all things, how I'll run in my next race, past races, etc..  I also like to check out the neighborhood, or nature if I'm out on a trail.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dtothe2nd (Dave), was great to meet you at the Jingle Bell 5K race this weekend!  First time so far that I have put a face to an RA/RWOL connection. Glad that you met Blake+ others and  are joining the Tidewater Striders as well, great group of folks!  :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

an amazing likeness

Usually, I just run. Am I supposed to be doing something else?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

wonder if I can gamble on a fart

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Usually, I just run. Am I supposed to be doing something else?

Just run,baby.

Mmmmm...beer

Dtothe2nd (Dave), was great to meet you at the Jingle Bell 5K race this weekend!  First time so far that I have put a face to an RA/RWOL connection. Glad that you met Blake+ others and  are joining the Tidewater Striders as well, great group of folks!  :-)

Likewise!  They're definitely a good group, looking forward to more Strider events.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jane

I'm also like Butter Tart, my mind goes everywhere on easy runs, I think more about running related stuff when doing some sort of pace/speed work.

Never run, if you want to never run, don't start because you'll never stop.