Runners that take themselves too Seriously (Read 1533 times)

milkbaby

Maybe half the time I am happy with a race result, half the time I am disappointed. But so what? It's not like I will starve or have to give up my home because I didn't race well. But for some people they are so deeply invested in their race performances it kind of blinds them. I like to run with a group and there are runners of different abilities, so sometimes I'll run with the faster folk, sometimes I'll run with the slower folks, and no matter what it is always fun. However, unless somebody directly asks me for my advice, I will not comment on anybody's training except for the occassional, "You're doing great!" or "Wow, you're running a lot of miles!" I've told other runners that I would like to run until I am 200 years old, but the day it isn't fun anymore, I will stop. Life is too short to waste my time doing something I don't enjoy anymore, y'know?
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
    evtish

Just replace Runners in the subject with any other sport, especially Golfers. Golf leagues are filled with people giving excrutiatingly, painfully boring, hole by hole shot by shot recounts of the "round" and how they should have scored a few shots lower Dead You have to gravitate to the fun people that drink and laugh, this stuff is supposed to be fun Smile !
      Kimmie

I know some runners who fit the mold that you describe. It's sometimes hard for me personally not to get sucked in by it. I just smile and nod, and thank goodnes that racing doesn't make me miserable like that. The point about finding some new partners (while not abandoning your old ones) is a good one, if it's feasable. Hstreet also hit the nail on the head with the comment on aging. It's not easy slowing down due to age (I'm living it). Some people get perspective from it, others don't. If I can just mention my pet peeve .... that's people who always have an excuse for not running as fast as they think they should have. That's one thing about racing that I love. The clock doesn't lie. My time on thgat day is what I had (all things considered). If I'm gonna complain about it, I need only look in the mirror for the person to blame. Too slow? I should have run faster. Period. Blaming your shoes or the course or the weather or other runners is just whining, IMO. Good running to you hup
        Hup! you probably don't remember me, but you've helped me a ton over on coolrunning with various issues over the years. I've read your race reports and I'm so glad that you're here.
        hup

Hey, I wondered if you were the same "Kimmie" from the other place! Nice to see you, and I hope that you are doing well. It's kind of you to say that I helped you out .... very happy to do so. I'm 10 days post knee surgery! I trained for the Napa Valley Marathon over the winter and two weeks out my knee blew up Sad Seems so far that the surgery went OK and I'm looking forward to being over it and back to running. Take care hup/Henry