New to running! (Read 1850 times)

vancouverskelly

Big grin I always thought "Uggghh..Running, impossible, I'm more of a weight lifter than a runner" I said this because I didn't think I had any endurance at all and that running was virtually impossible for me, but one of my clients the other day spoke with me about running and encouraged me to start a program, learn to run, because she enjoys it immensely (runs a fitness program), and I decided "Ok, what the heck, why not?" I've ran before, but not for long distances or even for the purpose of actually running--it has usually been to run away from things or people (what can I say? I was a mischievious kid) So, 3 days ago..I decided to start. I learned alot real quick--first off--gotta get some biker shorts because the chafing is not so good on the inner thighs Black eye, skater shoes are not good for running (The only shoes I had at the time) and yet--I managed to surprise myself immensely. I decided to go for intervals and try the walk 10 min, run 1 min. to gradually build up endurance and stamina, and I ended up running for 10 min. within a 24 min. period, the next night 10 min. in a 20 min. period, and last night 8 min. in a 12 min. period. Although I think I pushed a little too much I was testing myself, and I'm not such a horrible runner after all. But, I still need help. I just bought some runners today to make my runs better on my knees, ankles, et cetera-however, I still need to work on my form. I run heavy....not lightly, strides are short, any recommendations? I was going to just slow it down some, run in a more natural way not so forced, work on longer strides, and take more breaks to compensate for it, what do you advanced ones think?
    va

Hi Kelly, Welcome to running! I am a failrly new runner too (since August). My best advice to you is take it easy at first, and slowly increase your weekly mileage. Combining walking with running is a good way to do this. This will allow to keep improving, while not getting injured. It was hard for me at first, but I stuck with it, and after a few months, I was totally hooked. I am now doing 20+ miles per week. Here is an article from Galloway on running form. Efficient Running Through Better Running Form by Jeff Galloway He recommends a shorter stride. Good Luck!
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The best advice I can give you is: be patient and don't hurt yourself. So many people start running, get really motivated, injure themselves with overtraining, and then quit, believing that they're just not capable of running safely. The way I see it, running requires cardio fitness, muscle fitness, and joint fitness. The cardio comes quickly -- it improves week to week, especially when you're just starting. Muscle endurance improves more slowly, on the order of months. Joints fitness is the slowest to improve, and injured joints take a very long time to heal properly. So it's easy to fall into a trap of injuring yourself if you ignore any of these separate aspects of fitness. Your increased lung power will make you feel good, and you'll want to push much harder. But your muscles or joints might not be ready for that yet, and they'll let you know it. As you gain experience you'll learn which pains you can push through, and which pains will only get worse the more you try to ignore them. When a nagging pain threatens to become an injury you need to drastically reduce your training until you're feeling 100%. Form is very important. I just read 'ChiRunning" by Danny Dreyer, which applies Tai Chi techniques to get you to improve your form, and it's definitely helpling me. Good luck!
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        vancouverskelly

Big grin Thanks for the tips and all! I know last night I understood that I had pushed myself too much at one point in the last few days...and I was in incredible pain. My knees hurt incredibly and I didn't warm-up enough, fortunately, it is not anything too bad, tonight when I go out I will take it really easy and will try wearing my orthotic in my regular shoes in my runners and see if that helps because I apparently don't have normal arching. I will do the brisk walk and get my heart rate up with a warm-up and then run slowly (or jog, persay) until I feel some tenseness disappear, and will run slowly and not push myself too much. What do you recommend for training? Currently, I am running 6 nights a week, but maybe it's too much and I'm not giving myself enough time to recover, what do you think? I hear a big difference with different people.. Some say only 3 days a week, but I don't want to have to only run 3 days a week. I'm already hooked on running even though I'm not good yet..lol. I never thought I'd like running..the irony. I'm sure if I take it much more slow then 6 days a week would be fine, no?
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

You need recovery time. That can either be days when you don't run, or days when you run really easy. As long as you feel refreshed and not sore after your recovery day, then it's working. If not, lighten up. A recovery run is not a workout, it's more like just doing a warmup to get the blood flowing and loosen up. I've spent whole summers running six days a week, and it really does wear me down. Eventually I need to take a serious break. Right now I"m training for my third marathon and only running four days per week. I can do much better workouts if I put rest days in between.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              I would consider going to a running specific store. Many places have running shoes but only a few know how to get you into the right shoe for you. This is a critical piece of running information. The wrong shoe could cause pain and injury. I would suggest running on softer surfaces for a while to get your body used to the impact. Hopefully there are some trails nearby or maybe a golfcourse that is closed for the winter. Your body will adapt and your can start adding runs on harder surfaces. It looks like your starting out the right way with running and walking. Like some other posters, I would suggest taking a day off between each run for a while. I have been running for over 20 years, am currently running around 70 miles/week and always take a day off each week. Good luck and welcome to running.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't let the sore knees get you down. I would say that the first 4-5 months for me were all about sore knees--now I really don't have too much in the way of knee soreness, anymore. Now what causes soreness is running on snow and ice, but those pains aren't so much in my knees. Sounds like you are on the right track and you've got some great advice from others here. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ok first of WOOOHOOOOOOO at having another female bb in this forum!! And second off the others have given some pretty good advice. Welcome to RA and Congrats on getting started running!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Mike R

Kelly, Hi Smile I'm brand new to this forum and yours just happened to be the first post I read! I am a runner of 31 years. First off, it's always great to have another runner join our ranks out there. You happened to unfortunately fall into the trap of being overzealous, too eager, too fast! Just started running and 6 nights/week is a recipe for disaster. But, now that you are beginning to realize your mistake and get sound advice from the posters here, you may be on your way to a successful running regimen. The 2 groups of runners that get injured the most are, unfortunately the beginners, like yourself, not that knowledgable and the very "elite" who have incredible knowledge at their disposal, but are always training on the "edge". You should've started by taking baby steps, just set a goal of working up to 30 min. of steady running, 3x week. If you have to walk say 15 and run 15 on the same workout, that's great. Allow a day of rest, then attempt another 30 min. effort. You'll find you are well rested and eventually the walking time will decrease while the running time increases. You would be wise, to go to a running specialty store and get a professional to properly fit you. Some stores have a forceplate that you run over and they can tell instantly how you land and fit you accordingly. A good price range is around $50/70 dollars. That is about a mid range and you can get an excellent running shoe. If you become hooked in this sport, you will naturally seek out subject matter on the art of running. Don't fret, most everyone goes through trial and error, before things really go right, but stay the course and you'll be fine! Hope you become a runner for Life!!
                    Mike R

Stretch

Hi I'm new to running since about April 2010. I've been working on the Couch to 5K program which I have really enjoyed and am running my first race in September. One thing I have noticed during my training though is my knees are really sore after I have ran on a treadmill vs running out side. Does any one else have this and is there something I am doing wrong? I love to run out side but unless I get out early in the morning I run on the treadmill so as not to over head my self or be eaten alive by mosquitoes. Any tips I would be very grateful for. Thanks!
                         my knees are really sore after I have ran on a treadmill vs running out side 

I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that knee pain can be caused by landing too heavily on your heels, do you find that you are more prone to doing this on the treadmill?

Gina

As far as the chafing issue, try Nike Pro Compression shorts underneath your running shorts.  They are extremely light weight.

A Saucy Wench

some people struggle with overstriding on a treadmill because of the action of the belt dragging the standing  foot backwards.  You can neutralize your stride to be more similar to outside with a 1-2% grade. 

The other issue can be pace.  Some people run much faster on a TM than outside because it seems easier to hold pace, but that can result in pounding.  Or even just the lack of pace and incline variation can be much harder on the body.  Any time you think of it, push a button.  Speed up, slow down, incline up, incline down. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

As far as the chafing issue, try Nike Pro Compression shorts underneath your running shorts.  They are extremely light weight.

I would hope vancouverskelly figured a solution in the ensuing 3.5ish years Wink

And +1 to what Ennay said. I haven't had pains, but I've always set my mill at 1.5. I've heard some folks say the belt can pull your foot back, which might account for knee pain. So you may want to experiment with slowing the pace a bit.

Argh, I hate it when old threads get bumped