Run Down Cancer! (Read 73 times)

Fightinlibrarian

I ran in high school and college, and my younger brother followed that tradition.  We both really loved to run.  But after college, he took it to the next level.  He became competitive in local road races and was known as one of the best area runners.  He was in the best shape of his life.  That is when he got sick.  I guess the cancer genes were always inside of him, but at age 24 it tragically manifested itself, and what seemed to be a "belly" on someone who was in top shape turned out to be a large almost basketball sized tumor.  The surgery to remove that was just the first of many, because as it turns out, he had a rare sarcoma for which there is no cure.  And it is aggressive.  Only 20% live 5 years beyond their diagnosis.  And he beat the odds by making it to almost 6.  He passed away on his 30th birthday.  And since then I have tried out a new pair of shoes...those of a race director.  So now I want our page on facebook to go viral.  So if you are interested in running down cancer for good, please like Run Down Cancer on facebook at www.facebook.com/RunDownCancerNow and invite your friends to do the same.  The more support we can get, the closer we can come to a cure.  Thank you!

Wow, that's terrible and I'm sorry for your loss. I don't do facebook, but good luck to you.

jfa

Liked.

Sorry for your loss.

Fightinlibrarian

Thank you both for your support.  I always get a little crazy obsessed about this event as his birthday gets close.  Continuing to fight this battle is the only thing on my mind somedays.  That and running of course.  Lots of running.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am sorry for your loss.

I apologize in advance if this is rude, but I have always wondered: how does collecting "Likes" on facebook help fight a disease?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Fightinlibrarian

I am sorry for your loss.

I apologize in advance if this is rude, but I have always wondered: how does collecting "Likes" on facebook help fight a disease?

I can understand the confusion.  The page itself was created to generate interest in a 5k run/walk event designed to raise money for sarcoma research.  It attracts the interest of potential participants and sponsors who will further help raise money for the cause.  The more support in the form of "likes" that the page recieves, the more opportunity for the page to be viewed by potential participants, sponsors, and donors to the cause.  I know that larger sponsors and potential participants also like to see that an event is generating a significant amount of interest before they decide to become a part of the event themselves.  So, indeed, likes can essentially help garner support for cancer research.  Crazy, isn't it?  But makes me happy to see such support.  After hosting our event for only one year, our local news station did a story on the event as part of a research dedication day and used our social media and webpages to help encourage the community to donate to local cancer research efforts as well.  So please, keep those likes coming!  Smile  And thank you for the support.