shoe suggestions for a beginner-intermediate runner (Read 85 times)

corbmonster

Hi friends, I'm relatively new to running for sport.  I've legitimately been running a year or so.  I've gone to a shoe store twice in 2 years to be sized and looked at they both said the same thing : I pronate heavily with my left foot.  My first pair were mizuno wave inspire 9's and I loved them.  When I replaced them I was torn between Mizuno wave inspire 10's, Adidas boost 2, and Brooks adrenaline GTS.  I went with brooks and they have been great.  Could anyone suggest other awesome shoes along the lines?  Lightweight, and stability.  Maybe something from new balance?  There are no running stores near me.  I have to drive over an hour to get to one, so since I know what I like, and my size, I was going to order online.  FYI, I run all terrain.  90% of the time I run street, and poorly covered crush granite track.  10% at Huntsville State Park.  And I do love the muddy races.  For what it's worth, I run 2 - 9 miles 3x's / week.  sometimes I can't run.  It all depends how much time I have.  Left foot is flat, right foot is normal arch ( I know I'm weird).  And I've had tendentious in my left knee for over a year.  I'm just glad I can run pain free.

Thank you much

emmbee

queen of headlamps

If the Adrenaline is working for you, do you want to switch away from it?

I'm a beginner, too, and I also have a wonky left foot that collapses a lot compared to the right foot!  I am running in the ASICS Kayano with blue Superfeet added for extra support/volume reduction.  They're a great shoe, if pricey.

runmichigan

My first pair were mizuno wave inspire 9's and I loved them.  When I replaced them I was torn between Mizuno wave inspire 10's, Adidas boost 2, and Brooks adrenaline GTS.  I went with brooks and they have been great.  

Since you know that both the Mizuno Wave Inspire and the Brooks Adrenaline GTS work for you, I would suggest one of each and that you alternate them.  Some people feel that alternating shoes allows them to dry out better and make them last longer. By alternating between models you take advantage of what one shoe will correct for you and then what the other shoe will correct for you.

Member Since 2008

I was a tester for New Balance and never liked the fit.  They seemed to be better for a wider foot.  I prefer Mitzano, Saucony and Brooks.  Addidas used to be crap but I have heard they have improved greatly in the last year.

jpdeaux

Full disclosure: I basically ran in the Asics GT line for a decade and know nothing about any of the shoes you mentioned.

I spent 2 hours a month ago playing a mystery guessing game of "try anything you throw at me" with the nice lady at the running store while test-running in 10 different shoes. When we finally grouped together the shoes I loved and isolated out the feature that I didn't need that I thought I needed my first 12 years of running? Stability. Either I don't need stability shoes any longer, or I never needed them and ran in a poor shoe selection simply because the shoes came in extra wide. So, I guess, be careful shopping strictly by type of shoe.

I ended up buying 4 different shoes that day and rotating through seems to keep the old stability-caused injury at bay. And I can't believe how  much more fun running is without that damn post, or whatever that stability support is called.

NHLA

NB minimus are my favorite shoe.   Brooks cacaidia fav. trail shoe for running on rocks.

If you like the Brooks minimus should fit.    Pearl Izumu most comfortable shoe.

If you are not concerned about your speed or distance for upcoming races, I would suggest the least amount of shoe that you can stand and concentrate on form. With good form you can run in anything and injuries will be at a minimum.

endurancenerd

Chief Endurance Dork

I would be careful with any serious minimalist shoes.  They're very trendy at the moment but they also are great at fostering injuries among new runners who haven't gotten proper instruction in how to run in them and/or aren't prepared physically to run in them.

Shoe selection can depend on lots of factors, but stick with these simple rules:

1.  The further outside of what is likely your ideal weight you are, the more you want to have a little cushion in the sole of the shoe.

2.  Try on and walk around in lots of shoes -- figure out what manufacturers feel the best to you.

3.  In the absence of a skilled person that can assess your foot, start with a neutral shoe.

you can experiment with lower drop shoes that still has a sole on it -- I think they're the best way to begin learning and improving on your running form, rather than going totally minimalist.

Hope this helps