Bike Lust (Read 1697 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I'm scaling back on the running for the week to rest my randomly cranky right knee. Been getting out on the POS 10 year old Schwinn mountain bike with slick tires a bit. Except for my girly bits and butt complaining some (time for a better saddle), I love going faster than my usual 5.5-6 mph pace while on foot. I have a feeling once DS is big enough for a junior road bike (probably another 2-3 years as fast as that beanpole keeps growing) that my running days will be *mostly* over in favor of a pair of roadie wheels and rides with my guys... Smile It's a shame we don't have more duathlons in these parts. I have no interest in swimming, but biking and running would be a whole lotta fun in a race.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

there IS therapy for this...
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lemme guess...it comes with a crank...? Wink

~ Sarah Kay

fxdgear

After a brief foray back into running, its back to cycling full time. Seems like I always ached, or was hurt, most of the time when I ran. I have seriously and cautiously tried to get back into running for the past year but this last bout of achilles problems have made me throw away the running shoes for good. Be aware though, that it starts with a decent entry level bike, then a custom frame with Campy Record, then a mtn bike (mistake) and finally the ultimate...a fixed gear Smile For me, there just is no comparison between running a cycling....cycling rocks.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Smile For me, there just is no comparison between running a cycling....cycling rocks.
            You sound just like my hubby (who has at least 3 bikes in regular rotation at the moment...a roadie, a mtn. bike and a road bike that he is converting to a cyclocross bike). He used to run...but he's a big guy (6'2", between 225-250 depending upon the season) with big quads, so biking won out. DS is built like a runner and would probably be a natural, but dislikes "formal" running at age 7...get him on his bike and he'll go for miles without a single complaint, though. So biking is looking more and more appealing to me every day. As much as I enjoy running, it is a huge time (and $) commitment to train for races. What I see long-term is mixing the two sports. Maybe limiting myself to HMs and 25ks, then doing a lot more biking in the Summer--when it's often more comfortable to ride in the heat than run in it. I guess I'll see how my first marathon this Fall goes. Perhaps I'll complete that race and want to do more long running races, or maybe I'll be content to stick with those races I can do in 2 hours or so and supplement with biking. It's good cross-training.

~ Sarah Kay

fxdgear

Once you do the National 24 Hour Challenge, you will be hooked forever. Smile
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Once you do the National 24 Hour Challenge, you will be hooked forever. Smile
                What is that? DH is already trying to talk me into eventually doing a bike across MI. I'm like "dude, I need a proper road bike, first, and a few century rides under my belt...then we can talk." Wink

~ Sarah Kay

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Zoom, my brother's family does the PALM ride every year (it's going on now). Nice, easy ride.
                  fxdgear

What is that? DH is already trying to talk me into eventually doing a bike across MI. I'm like "dude, I need a proper road bike, first, and a few century rides under my belt...then we can talk." Wink
                    A nice little 24 hour race near Grand Rapids www.n24hc.org.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A nice little 24 hour race near Grand Rapids www.n24hc.org.
                      DH just told me that that's a race "insane" people do. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom, my brother's family does the PALM ride every year (it's going on now). Nice, easy ride.
                        That does look nice...and not too tough. The ODRAM is the ride DH eventually wants to do...nice thing is it starts IN our town. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

fxdgear

DH just told me that that's a race "insane" people do. Wink
                          Insane, well yeah, that helps. But it is so cool. Over the last ten years we have made some really great friends there. It is not as hardcore as it sounds. Some people will ride until about 9 pm, call it quits and hit the sleeping bag, get up at 5am and ride some more. Others will ride all night. They bill it more as a personal challenge that a race. It really is a great time
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

DH is already trying to talk me into eventually doing a bike across MI.
                            You could to a bike ride across Michigan here. That wouldn't be too bad.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You could to a bike ride across Michigan here. That wouldn't be too bad.
                              Ooh, then I could bike across Wisconsin, next! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

I could and would get into biking except for one thing. When you run, you know you have to put out a certain amount of effort. There is just no way around it, you will breathe hard and sweat. With biking, I would probably get lazy and just peddle along at a leisurely pace and not accomplish much in regard to fitness training. I don't have the discipline to bike hard, I could see myself biking at not a very much faster pace than I'm running.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius