Berlin 2013 - half marathon (Read 222 times)

Hi all...

I've decided to run my second half marathon... 7 april is the date.

looking forward to seeing how the training goes. My biggest downfall is consistancy and sticking to a plan. I've never really run according a running plan... I just ran...

So I figured I may as well come on the internet and see if I can gain a bit of motivation and advice along the way.

I'm thinking of starting a 14 week plan beginning in January (next week is ski vacation - woot!).

I'll be running 3-4 times a week (tues, thurs, sat, sun). I started up running again at the end of october after half a year nothing. I've been trying to follow a bit of a program:

tuesday - intervals (6-8 x 1kms with 2 minutes recovery) If I run three times a week this is the one i'll skip.

thursday - tempo pace (around 40minutes)

saturday - flat out (got down to 10km in 40:50 two weeks ago and then work got in the way)

sunday - easy long

I haven't got a goal time yet... we'll see how the training goes in the first few months before I make a goal.

any suggestions/comments?

cheers

Spartz

an amazing likeness

I'll be running 3-4 times a week (tues, thurs, sat, sun). I started up running again at the end of october after half a year nothing. I've been trying to follow a bit of a program:

tuesday - intervals (6-8 x 1kms with 2 minutes recovery) If I run three times a week this is the one i'll skip.

thursday - tempo pace (around 40minutes)

saturday - flat out (got down to 10km in 40:50 two weeks ago and then work got in the way)

sunday - easy long

Your plan has you running 3/4 (75%) of your runs as workouts every week.  That is not usually a recipe for success or quality training.

Most plans would have you rotate though intervals, tempo, hills, and speed in various combinations across weeks, filling in the 'off' days with easy miles.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I agree with the Truck.

If I did that much quality in a week, I think I'd fall apart, personally.

I especially worry about the Saturday "flat out."  Do you mean you intend to basically all-out race every Saturday?  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

yeah... maybe i'm over enthusiastic.

In november i did 2 weeks of 4 sessions a week and 3 weeks of 3 sessions a week (skipping the intervals).

Going flat out on saturday is not really the aim for the coming months... when I started in october I just wanted to see how quickly i could get down to 40min and I wanted to gauge it on a weekly basis...

I'm open to changing this up for a more longer term and viable training program.

for what it's worth, here's an update on my training.

I've decided to start with the Furman FIRST half marathon program without cross training (http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/Half%20Marathon%20Training%20Program%20-%20metric.pdf)

A few reasons for Furman:

1. It's the same general idea as I had beforehand (intervals tuesday, tempo thursday and long weekend) but with specific training progression and paces

2. I enjoying gauging what level I'm running at.... I did this before by running 5km-10km hard/flat-out on the weekend.. but that's not sustainable... now I gauge my fitness level based off the training pace tabels.

3.  I'm thinking of maybe in the future triathlon.... and apparently that works well with this program.

I've done two weeks of works outs and at the moment I'm running around 19:30 5km pace. I'm just going to try reduce the 5km pace with each training session. At this stage that fairly easy due to fact that I'm still in the early phase and building up fitness.

Unfortunately Berlin I didn't get in on time for Berlin, so it looks like I'll be doing a local race in holland. Don't suppose there are any other runners from Holland on this site?