pre race meal (Read 955 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I am running tonight at 7:30 pm gmt, it is now 11am. I am just wanting your advice on what I should eat from now and drink right up to I race. It is a 4 mile race, so quick. What is best to have for my lunch and before etc (food and drink wise). Many thanks. I will be posting a race report.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I am running tonight at 7:30 pm gmt, it is now 11am. I am just wanting your advice on what I should eat from now and drink right up to I race. It is a 4 mile race, so quick. What is best to have for my lunch and before etc (food and drink wise). Many thanks. I will be posting a race report.
      On a race this short I'm not sure that it matters very much besides not eating too close too the race and staying well hydrated throughout the day.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

For a short race like this, its much better to eat less than more. Go with a small all-carbo lunch -- fats and proteins take too long to digest.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

i usually go pasta and rice the night before a 5k
            I learned this lesson just last week. DO NOT have 3 beers and a buffalo chicken cheese steak the night before running a 5k. My stomach was not very user friendly at all, and the heat of the 10 a.m. race did not help. Roll eyes Live and learn.

Michelle

I am running tonight at 7:30 pm gmt, it is now 11am. I am just wanting your advice on what I should eat from now and drink right up to I race. It is a 4 mile race, so quick. What is best to have for my lunch and before etc (food and drink wise).
              I would just stick to what you normally eat and what keeps your stomach calm and happy. If the race is at 7:30, I would (personally), eat a bowl of oatmeal with some almonds and honey around 5:30 and drink some water. Good luck!
              2009: BQ?
                3 beers and a buffalo chicken cheese steak the night before running a 5k. Roll eyes Now thats funny......but only if someone else does it. Evil grin
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had whole wheat french toast with real maple syrup the night before my most recent race (25k). I felt AWESOME the next day! I think that will be my pre-race supper for every race, now. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

3 beers and a buffalo chicken cheese steak the night before running a 5k. Roll eyes Now thats funny......but only if someone else does it. Evil grin
                    It really wasn't all that funny!! But I'm glad that I amused someone at least. Roll eyes Normally I have a gyro for lunch two days prior (it's becoming a tradition) and then the night before I have pizza...plain pizza, no beer.

Michelle