Do young children get sore muscles from activity? (Read 179 times)

Dream Maker

This is a little random, but -- Do young kids get sore muscles?

I've noticed that my  5 year old daughter no matter what she does doesn't seem to have DOMS.

Yesterday, she did a 1.2 mile race fast (no walking, fast for a 5 year old) and then an hour later did 0.8 miles mud/obstacle race. Then spent most the day running and climbing at the playground. She feels great today.  She always has swim lessons and gymnastics on the same day and when weather is good, playground between them... 7 miles of hiking last Sunday and playing after...  Never any soreness (She has gotten sore joints as growing pains but that's not related to activities)  She clearly has no reduction in activities and I've specifically asked and she says no.

I guess I don't often get sore from cardio type activities - more weight lifting.

Are small kids more resistant to DOMS because they're growing? or just less likely to push themselves over? Or less time for lack of fitness to take over?

I know it doesn't really matter, but I'm curious. Anyone know?

I tried googling but I can't find anything related to activities only illness; which I guess supports that that are resistant... but why exactly?

TJoseph

I am not an expert either, but I would guess your daughter's fitness is high enough for those activities that she doesn't get sore, but she would get sore if she wasn't used to or adapted to it.  Or maybe she is a natural athlete.  I am pretty sure I got sore a few times when I was a kid.  I remember my Mom telling me to take a bath with Epsom salts when that happened.  I don't remember if that actually helped.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

From my years as a Boy Scout, having backpacking trips, the answer is of course they do.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Village people

Just asked my 9 year old and he looked at me like I was crazy, he said yeah. He never complains, though so maybe kids just grin and bear it.

Birdwell

From my years as a Boy Scout, having backpacking trips, the answer is of course they do.

+1

I know my kids won't ever tell me they're tired if we're out hiking or biking.

We have a very strict family rule that complainers and whiners get left at home during the next adventure.

I guess that makes me a mean dad, but the trips sure are enjoyable.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

My 13 year old daughter started cross fit training two days a week about six weeks ago. She is a competitive swimmer who was already in great shape. Her coach started the team on cross fit to "build explosiveness." She was sore after the first few sessions of cross fit. Now, after  only six weeks of it, she is already stronger and more ripped. But, yes, she was sore.

BeeRunB

When I ran baby marathons, I always got sore--but that's because I never held back. Wasn't gonna let those other poopie pants beat me.

When I pretended to be Superman (George Reeves version), and  dove through the kitchen window when I was 6, I also got quite sore.

And cut up.

So, yes, muscles are muscles, and when you push it to its limits... some might recover quicker at different ages, but it will be the same at all ages.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Not sure when I was 5, but certainly a few years later I distinctly remember being sore from long family hikes.

(aged 7-8)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I don't remember being sore when I was little. I do remember being all-over tired.  I think the system as a whole gives out before isolated muscles do when you're little.

The exception is baseball season, when your arm gets sore early in the Spring.  That's the only time I can remember having isolated soreness.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Village people

Okay, I quizzed him again about noncontact sports. He said no. Maybe their little bodies are just more elastic? I wish I could bottle it.

SillyC

Oooh oooh!  I asked my kids' pediatrician this question, and got a fascinating answer!

Apparently, muscle soreness is a lot different in little kids.  They'll tend to get growing pains and muscle spasms rather than DOMS as we do.  So, if they've overdone it, rather than experiencing DOMS like a grown up, they'll wake up in the night with sore legs.  You do know that we don't entirely know WHAT the mechanism is behind the pain of DOMS, right?  Well, what's going on in kids is interesting because our ability to experience DOMS is something that develops as we mature.  Ergo, if we could figure out what changes we could better understand DOMS.

Oooh oooh!  I asked my kids' pediatrician this question, and got a fascinating answer!

Apparently, muscle soreness is a lot different in little kids.  They'll tend to get growing pains and muscle spasms rather than DOMS as we do.  So, if they've overdone it, rather than experiencing DOMS like a grown up, they'll wake up in the night with sore legs.  You do know that we don't entirely know WHAT the mechanism is behind the pain of DOMS, right?  Well, what's going on in kids is interesting because our ability to experience DOMS is something that develops as we mature.  Ergo, if we could figure out what changes we could better understand DOMS.

I thought DOMS was caused by micro tears of the muscles? Have I been mislead? 

SillyC

I thought DOMS was caused by micro tears of the muscles? Have I been mislead? 

Um, not sure?  DOMS is pain, right?  And that's a neurological process.  Why the process of exercising leads to the neurological process of of experiencing pain several days later is not all that well understood.  Like, which chemical and which neuron?  My ped said we didn't know.

A Saucy Wench

When I was a kid I dont recall getting the same kind of sore muscles, but my knees would KILL me when I was trying to sleep.  I didnt get serious muscle soreness until college.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Best Present Ever

My 10 year old swims every day, but will occasionally be sore after a particular workout -- sore like rubbing his arm muscles.  Unusual, but happens from time to time.

My 13 year old daughter started cross fit training two days a week about six weeks ago. She is a competitive swimmer who was already in great shape. Her coach started the team on cross fit to "build explosiveness." She was sore after the first few sessions of cross fit. Now, after  only six weeks of it, she is already stronger and more ripped. But, yes, she was sore.