Vicodin (Read 141 times)

bigdumidiot

Big Sur Marathon is this Sunday and continue to have IT Band pain and plan to take my prescription Vicodin before the start in hope to finish under the six hour limit , hope it will help with the pain ?

zonykel

the topic has some responses in letsrun.com on the side effects:

"Vicodin is a hydrocodone barbiturate. Basically, it is 2-8 times as potent as codeine, so it is a very potent pain killer.

A warning tagged to hydrocodone  is that it produces dose dependant respiratory depression by acting on the brainstem respiratory centre, so your respiration will be decreased.

Sedation, drowsiness, mental clouding, lethargy, impairment of mental and physical performance, anxiety, fear, dysphoria, dizziness, psychic dependence, mood changes and blurred vision are all side effects of the drug on the central nervous system.

Dry mouth is also another side effect that may help to explain your dehydrated feeling."

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=1793629#ixzz2ReZUEC00

Mysecondnewname

Were you prescribed the Vicodin to address the IT band pain or is it for another condition?

If it's for the IT Band and it still hurts that badly, maybe you might consider skipping the race to avoid further injury?

I would respectfully suggest discussing this with the doctor who prescribed the Vicodin.

No Talent Drips

I assert, without regard to respect, that the op's screen name says it all.

Double up on the Vikes and then get after it!

Dei Gratia

joescott

I think if your IT band pain is so bad that it requires Vicodin to deal with it then probably you should consider not running the race and take some weeks to really work on physical therapy to try to address the real problem.  I took hydrocodone after each of my knee surgeries for pain.  While very effective for me for the pain, it also knocked my on backside.  I can't imagine taking it before trying to race.  In other words, I verify by experience everything zonykel said:  sedation, drowsiness, mental clouding, lethargy, impairment of mental and physical performance.....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

sedation, drowsiness, mental clouding, lethargy, impairment of mental and physical performance.....

Don't forget constipation... Black eye

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jeff F

Free Beer

Troll

Revenge of the Nerd

The use of Vicodin during a marathon is contraindicated.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The use of Vicodin during a marathon is contraindicated.

*dingdingding*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay