2 random questions-breathing patterns and teeth (Read 228 times)

Baby bean!

Getting back to pounding the pavement after a hiatus.

Let's say I was going to focus on a breathing pattern of 123, 1234.  Is it better to have a longer inhale or a longer exhale?

I know, ridiculous question, but someone here has a logical answer, I'm sure!

My other question...I'm sure bizarre, no doubt.

Does anyone's teeth hurt when they run?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Everybody is a little different.

For, having the double-whammy of exercise induced asthma and 7000' of elevation, either a symmetric pattern (1234 1234) or exhaling faster (1234 123) works better.  This is described typically elsewhere as 4-4 and 4-3 respectively.  That is for recovery/base/easy runs.  General aerobic is usually around 3-3.  Tempo might start at 3-2 and transition to 2-2 with heart rate drift.  All-out is 2-1 -- and I'd better have the inhaler handy.

I don't think I have ever seen a reference that advises exhaling slower than inhaling.

kcam

This RW article talks about it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Interesting.  I took an interest in the breathing aspect of running early on in my running career, but this came late in life.  I felt that as an older runner, I had my age going against me, but could help myself by ensuring that I got enough oxygen.  I came to a similar conclusion as to an odd number of steps being desirable, but I believe that maximum O2 transfer happens during an extended exhale.  I therefore inhale for two steps, then exhale for three (a 2:3 pattern).  I haven't noticed any core stability problems.  For shorter races, I switch to a 2:2 pattern.

It may be pertinent that I was training in diaphragmatic breathing since I was a child; I have played the horn that long.

There was a time when I had a toothache, and the tooth was very sensitive to cool air, so yes, it hurt when I ran.

npaden

I just don't get the whole breathing pattern stuff?  I breathe when I run, but I have no idea when or where or how fast I take a breath or exhale.  When I run slow, I breathe slow, when I run fast, I breathe faster, but I've never noticed a pattern.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Just breathe, baby.

My breathing apparently does not synchronize to my pace, so I have never been able to determine a pattern.  Not that I spent much time trying.

About ten years ago, I convinced the doctor to give me a treadmill stress test.  This was a true maximum effort test where I was gasping for breath and felt like I was dying for lack of air toward the end.  Part of the test is a pulse oximeter monitor to measure blood oxygen.  My blood oxygen stayed at the same value through the entire test.  I think the number was 98%.  Like most people, my body's ability to get oxygen from the air to my blood was far better than my body's ability to get that oxygen from the blood to the muscles.

Don't worry about the breathing.  Your blood is getting all the oxygen it needs.  Further training will improve oxygen transfer from your blood to your muscles.

Love the Half

Practice a bit.  I read a lot of stuff about "correct" breathing patterns but have found that 2-2 at all levels of effort works best for me.  I never go out of that pattern no matter how easy or how hard I am running.  But, the only reason I know it works best for me is because I tried others and hated them.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

npaden

I tried counting my breathing the other day on an easy run.  I ended up between 2 and 7 steps on my inhale and between 2 and 9 steps on my exhale.  On average it was between 3 or 4 steps on an inhale and 4 or 5 steps on an exhale.  It varied quite a bit although my exhale tended to always be longer than my inhale.

I think I would hyper ventilate on an easy run if I was breathing in and out every 4 steps.  Not sure you could carry on much of a conversation breathing that fast.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

yeah, that's the one I was trying to think of....  kind of strange at first because you have to concentrate on your breathing but after a bit (just a couple of runs) it becomes more natural.  makes sense and has worked well for me in a short period of time.  even helps hip issues....  with the philosophy of landing on exhale with alternate feet...  if that makes sense.  and it will when you read the article Big grin

and no, my teeth have never hurt....

Tammarin.....