Where to run in Vegas (Read 1270 times)

Everything's marked very well. There are little signs at any point where you may be in doubt. I don't recall the White Rock Trail loop, but if it's like most of the others in Red Rock Canyon, you'll be doing a lot of running on flash flood "beds" composed of loose, large gravel. No fun to walk on, much less run on. Hope White Rock is different/better.

Good for you if you're going to run that....a smooth XC course is hard enough! Smile If you get into it, you might want to climb Turtlehead Peak. Hard (it's rated "Strenuous" by the Park Service) but worth every bit of it.

Thanks! Got some reports from folks who have done it - seems like it's runnable. I'll report back  - looking forward to it.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Two very different runs.

1) Strip: lots to look at, impossible to get into a rhythm, lots o' stairs, hot, lots o' concrete, cars, noise, lights.

2) Red Rock Canyon - maybe the most beautiful run I've ever been on. Did the White Rock Trail loop twice, then Keystone Thrust, then a few miles on the Scenic Road to cool down. No description I can give will do it justice. Just, if you're out in Vegas, and can get a car - do yourself a favor and drive out there. I picked up a car at the airport rental place at 6:30 and was on the trail running at 7:15. And the trail and the scenery are absolutely unreal. Like breathtaking unreal.

Trail shoes probably would have been good, but I did it in my NB890s and was okay. On that White rock trail, of the 6.2 miles there's about a mile of that large pebble river wash stuff that was a little tough. Other than that, mix of gravel, packed dirt, regular trial type stuff. The loop took a little over an hour at a good steady run - some decent elevation change.

$7 to enter park, $17 to rent car, $4 gas, $35 taxi to and from the airport - but all completely worth it.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      RuralRunner

Two very different runs.

1) Strip: lots to look at, impossible to get into a rhythm, lots o' stairs, hot, lots o' concrete, cars, noise, lights.

2) Red Rock Canyon - maybe the most beautiful run I've ever been on. Did the White Rock Trail loop twice, then Keystone Thrust, then a few miles on the Scenic Road to cool down. No description I can give will do it justice. Just, if you're out in Vegas, and can get a car - do yourself a favor and drive out there. I picked up a car at the airport rental place at 6:30 and was on the trail running at 7:15. And the trail and the scenery are absolutely unreal. Like breathtaking unreal.

Trail shoes probably would have been good, but I did it in my NB890s and was okay. On that White rock trail, of the 6.2 miles there's about a mile of that large pebble river wash stuff that was a little tough. Other than that, mix of gravel, packed dirt, regular trial type stuff. The loop took a little over an hour at a good steady run - some decent elevation change.

$7 to enter park, $17 to rent car, $4 gas, $35 taxi to and from the airport - but all completely worth it.

Glad to hear it, Gville. I couldn't agree more....any run in the RRC area is worth it. Amazing.