Big dog coming through! (Read 1402 times)

JoggingPanda

Today as I was finishing my run a dog tried to come take a chunk of me as his owners watched from the porch. I tried the usual look the dog in the eye and face him that seemed only to egg him on. Finally I booted him in his mouth when he got close enough to get at me. This is the second time in two weeks I have had a larger dog come at me and mean business.

Anyone have any secrets on how to handle this kind of thing? I am not afraid of dogs but about the time i put a good whooping on some ones dog and they call the police, and or i get charged with animal cruelty I will be pissed. Although I believe I am in my right to kick the shit out of any dog that wants a fight.

Slice

Pepper spray and/or a good punt should do it! I love dogs, but I won't hesitate to spray or kick one if I feel the slightest bit threatened.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Today as I was finishing my run a dog tried to come take a chunk of me as his owners watched from the porch. I tried the usual look the dog in the eye and face him that seemed only to egg him on. Finally I booted him in his mouth when he got close enough to get at me. This is the second time in two weeks I have had a larger dog come at me and mean business.

Anyone have any secrets on how to handle this kind of thing? I am not afraid of dogs but about the time i put a good whooping on some ones dog and they call the police, and or i get charged with animal cruelty I will be pissed. Although I believe I am in my right to kick the shit out of any dog that wants a fight.

You should have called the police. Do you  have lease laws?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Shikari1

Cotton mouth

RC,

You shouldn't have to worry about this-it's stupid.  I say this as a dog-hugger; if that dog charges you and gets close enough to bite you better defend yourself.  That means business.  Your reaction, to me, was a good one.  If you are on a sidewalk or any other public access way, you have some right to self defense. There are leash laws in most cities and states, check yours out.   I'd call the cops on the guy and file a report so that if anything happens again, this will be shown as a multi-occasion event. 

Not a mean dog story, but the other day was out running and a ankle biter came out to chase me and the kids where trying to call the dog back while parent just watched so I slowed down, then a truck was comeing down road so I just stoped so dog would not get hit, the kids got the dog but what upset me was the parent did not say thanks or even wave at me for trying to make sure dog was Ok, I was on the other side so dog  had to cross traffic, I have had trouble with dogs last time was big do rotwler type so picked up stick and bluffed my way out, then I clled police do not know what ever happened but did not see dog again.

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

Another "not a bad dog" story.

A few years back on New Year's morning, my brother-in-law and I were out running on a snowy road, and a big dumb lovable dog came and clipped me on the snowy road.  i went down, then he proceeded to lick my face all over.

Another story, though, I was out at like 6 AM once, and a guy was driving around, stopped and told me he was looking for his dog who had gotten out, and if I happened upon him, I wasn't to worry, he was very friendly and he wouldn't bite me.  Never saw the dog, so, he was probably going in the other direction.

Jeff

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

I booted him in his mouth when he got close enough to get at me. 

I think you've already got the basics down.  Did so with a trailer trash dog myself last night.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slice

Another "not a bad dog" story.

A few years back on New Year's morning, my brother-in-law and I were out running on a snowy road, and a big dumb lovable dog came and clipped me on the snowy road.  i went down, then he proceeded to lick my face all over.

I shot pepper spray at a big dumb lovable dog a while back when I was on my bike. Although I knew it wouldn't bite me, I was afraid its chase would knock me off my bike. I didn't hit but it did stop chasing me so I assume it got a little of the spray.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

JoggingPanda

I will have to check into the laws. Being informed of my rights and the dog owners rule/laws to follow could only help my situation. I will look into that. I think I will invest in some pepper spray also.

The worst part, for me, is the owners did not move to stop the dog they just kind of called his name. As I was finishing my run a kid on a bike rode by and the dog tried to go after him too. Thanks for the input guys, I never thought of pepper spray, we will see how that works.