VERY out of shape beginner (Read 1278 times)

Hey another word of encouragement hopefully. My wife and I just started running 3-4 weeks ago and I have her on the beginner running plan, modified a litlle. Just so you know she is 45 and has never ran before. She startd with the 5 minute walk then 30 second run. She thought she was not seeing improvement and did not think she was going to get anywhere. Guess what today was a 5 minute walk 3 minute run day and she did it. It's slow go process but she is doing it. Her limitation is her lungs. She does not feel she can get a deep breath. She feltthat way at the end of 30 seconds the first week and today she is feeling that way at 3 minutes. She is getting better and so will you. Everyone is so right take it slow. Have fun, well it will be fun soon enough. Your setting your groundwork for a great future. Derrick
    If the road less traveled was easy, would it be...?
    BTY

The great thing about being waaaay out of shape, is that it doesn't require hours and hours of running to get into better shape. Almost anything at all will lead to improvement. 3 days a week of walking, without even adding the running, will improve yur fitness level, and make running more enjoyable in time. Be easy on yourself. Enjoy it. bty
      Kenotic Runner

Hey another word of encouragement hopefully. My wife and I just started running 3-4 weeks ago and I have her on the beginner running plan, modified a litlle. Just so you know she is 45 and has never ran before. She startd with the 5 minute walk then 30 second run. She thought she was not seeing improvement and did not think she was going to get anywhere. Guess what today was a 5 minute walk 3 minute run day and she did it. It's slow go process but she is doing it. Her limitation is her lungs. She does not feel she can get a deep breath. She feltthat way at the end of 30 seconds the first week and today she is feeling that way at 3 minutes. She is getting better and so will you. Everyone is so right take it slow. Have fun, well it will be fun soon enough. Your setting your groundwork for a great future. Derrick
        I find this an interested observation (wrt bolded comment on lungs). I remember when I was starting I went through multiple phases of different "weakest links." At one point my shins. At one point side stitches. At one point heart and lungs. And a number of points will power. However, I was patient enough to just recognize as such and have a few brief set backs here and there, that over a number of months, I was able to overcome each of these issues, even with some reoccurring. Anyhow, best of luck.
        JakeKnight

The great thing about being waaaay out of shape, is that it doesn't require hours and hours of running to get into better shape. Almost anything at all will lead to improvement. 3 days a week of walking, without even adding the running, will improve yur fitness level, and make running more enjoyable in time. Be easy on yourself. Enjoy it.
          Great post. And so very true. Being a real beginner is a lot of fun because the improvements come so fast and they're sometimes huge. I sometimes feel sorry for the elite runners who train and struggle for months just to shave a few seconds off a race time. Taking a couple minutes off your 5-k time or 20 minutes off a marathon PR is a lot more fun. You'll get there, Turtle. It was only 3 or so years ago that I was running 5 minutes and walking 4 just to get through a daily 3 mile run. When you start to enjoy it and run consistently, the improvements - in all areas - come fast. MTA: and I agree with some of the comments above - just get moving. Instead of days off, turn those days into brisk walks. With a little jogging thrown in, if you feel like it. Just be consistent, even if its 90% walking. If you stay with it, you'll be stunned at the improvements in a few months.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Just keep going and keep it slow. I started running several years ago and most of the people who saw me and made comments assumed I was a walker. Build up your body at a slow but steady pace to prevent injuries and to prevent yourself from becomming discouraged. I saw a couple of other posts that were similar to my experience in that my pains shifted through many different body parts over the course of a couple of years. Great job on starting, that is the hardest part. The next hardest part will be running that first step each and every day you are scheduled to run.
            Hugoriffic

Don't forget your post-run stretching.