First Race (Read 725 times)

So I just registered for my first race ever...in January...the PF Chang Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon in Phoenix, AZ. Any tips from you experienced racers? Like: 1) Is it a faux pas to listen to your iPod while running in a race? I assume it would be for this run in particular, since they were kind enough to place a rock band every mile along the course! ;-) 2) Any special preparation for a race vs. a regular run? I usually throw salt over one shoulder and say a quick prayer to Osiris, the God of Shin Splints before I run. 3) If there's a Jack in the Box along the route, would it be okay if I stopped in for a quick breakfast burrito? Or is that frowned on by the "serious competitors"? 4) Is tripping allowed? 5) If I wear a ton of cologne, will I get a little more elbow room? 6) etc....?

You'll ruin your knees!

So I just registered for my first race ever...in January...the PF Chang Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon in Phoenix, AZ. Any tips from you experienced racers? Like: 1) Is it a faux pas to listen to your iPod while running in a race? I assume it would be for this run in particular, since they were kind enough to place a rock band every mile along the course! ;-) 2) Any special preparation for a race vs. a regular run? I usually throw salt over one shoulder and say a quick prayer to Osiris, the God of Shin Splints before I run. 3) If there's a Jack in the Box along the route, would it be okay if I stopped in for a quick breakfast burrito? Or is that frowned on by the "serious competitors"? 4) Is tripping allowed? 5) If I wear a ton of cologne, will I get a little more elbow room? 6) etc....?
      1. Not as long as you keep the volume low enough to hear those around you. I would not turn it on from the start, but after the field has opened up a bit. 2. Whatever works for you... 3. Isn't that a mandatory aid station? 4. Only if you are tripping relay runners, that's OK. 5. I find that bean burritos the night before is more effective. 6. At the start of the race, particularly marathons, sprint the first 100 yards all out and yell out "I'm winning", with arms thrust up in the air! The RNR ought to be a blast! Enjoy! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Jlynnbob, great responses, especially about the relay runners! Big grin But seriously, allenccook, make sure you hit every aid station along the way, starting at mile 1. I've run two HMs. On the first one, I didn't take any liquids until almost half-way through the race. At mile 10, my calves cramped up so bad you couldn't have driven a nail through them. I somehow managed to finish, lost 9 pounds, and took 3 weeks to recover. On my second (just a couple of weeks ago), I took liquids at every aid station. Not only did I not get any cramps, I finished strong (PR by almost 8 minutes) and took 3 days to recover. They'll probably have both Gatorade (or something similar) and water at each one. On my last HM, I alternated between the two at every other rest stop, and it worked very well. And run a little slower the first few miles. If you go out too fast, you'll fade at the end. But most importantly, have fun! Wink
        JakeKnight

Your very first race and its a half marathon? Why start there? Why not a full? In fact, there are plenty of 100 mile ultramarathons in the springtime ... maybe you should start there instead. Roll eyes Okay, assuming you're going to insist on by passing the 5-ks and 10-ks (you manly man, you), I'll address your goofiness point by point: (By the way, all the Rock n' Roll series races are fun! I've heard PF Chang's is one of the best, and I'll definitely be down there to run it one of these days. Good choice!) 1) Just about every race I've ever run or seen specifically prohibits iPods; just about every race I've run or seen, a sizable number of runners ignore the rule and wears it anyway. I *always* start out wearing my iPod - or arrange to have someone hand it to me at mile 15 or so, when some tunes might be nice. So if you wanna wear, wear it. That said - even though I carry the thing, even though I always listen when I run, the truth is that I don't actually listen much in a race. There's too much to see, too many people to talk to, cheering crowds ... and those bands you mentioned. So don't be surprised if you never turn it on. And you may want to have a spectator waiting so you can hand it to 'em when you decide it's not worth carrying. I know, you think you'll listen the whole way. I did, too. I'm addicted to it on training runs. But like Lynn said, keep the sound down. People will get ornery if they try to pass you and you can't hear 'em. And be a little discrete at the beginning of the race. I *have* heard stories about people being yanked off races for breaking the no iPod rule. (Never seen it, tho). Bottom line: you'll be amazed how many people will wear them. And won't use them. But it's a nice comfort blanket to have. 2) Try throwing pepper. Osiris likes that, too, especially with his eggs in the morning. Okay, the only "special preparation" may be taking some extra time in the bathroom. Don't wait until the last minute at a race that big. Line up at the porta-Johns early. Intestinal issues suddenly become a big deal. And trust me on this - bring some toilet paper. You'll be glad you did. 3) Only if you're planning to share with everyone. 4) No, but elbowing is fine. Accidental headbutts are frowned upon, but as long as you're sly about it, you should get away with it. 5) No, but it might help with the babes. And the babes are a significantly underrated factor in the big races. There you are, surrounded by literally thousands of fit young ladies, all dressed in running shorts, an easy topic to start conversations already set up for you (hint: it rhymes with running) ... if you're single, seize the day, my friend. Try wearing Aramis. But no Aqua Velva. 6) Ignore (or leave behind) your watch, and have fun! Plenty of time for timing on the next one. Start slow in the first couple of miles, then slow down. You'll have more fun passing all the early sprinters later on. Good luck!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

6. At the start of the race, particularly marathons, sprint the first 100 yards all out and yell out "I'm winning", with arms thrust up in the air!
            AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I am sooooo going to do that!
              Allen, The main problem I had in running my first race, a 5K not a HM, was pace. I always run alone so when the race started, I wasn't used to hearing all of those plodding feet and heavy breaths around me. It caused me to push my pace to early (partly because of my competitive nature) and I ran out of steam about 2/3 through. Imagine playing in a band where everyone is trying to play at a different tempo. Eventually, everyone tends toward unity in tempo and the same is true in racing and it can really throw you off if you aren't prepared. jlynnbob's suggestion to run a little slower at the beginning, especially at this distance, will help you to adjust. I've personally even considered ear plugs to help me focus. Haven't tried it yet though.
                Your very first race and its a half marathon? Why start there? Why not a full? In fact, there are plenty of 100 mile ultramarathons in the springtime ... maybe you should start there instead. Roll eyes
                Yea...I'm a total overacheiver. Sick, really.
                I *always* start out wearing my iPod - or arrange to have someone hand it to me at mile 15 or so, when some tunes might be nice. So if you wanna wear, wear it.
                Thanks for the iAdvice.
                Try throwing pepper. Osiris likes that, too, especially with his eggs in the morning. Okay, the only "special preparation" may be taking some extra time in the bathroom. Don't wait until the last minute at a race that big. Line up at the porta-Johns early. Intestinal issues suddenly become a big deal. And trust me on this - bring some toilet paper. You'll be glad you did.
                Pepper, toilet paper....check.
                No, but it might help with the babes. And the babes are a significantly underrated factor in the big races. There you are, surrounded by literally thousands of fit young ladies, all dressed in running shorts, an easy topic to start conversations already set up for you (hint: it rhymes with running) ... if you're single, seize the day, my friend. Try wearing Aramis. But no Aqua Velva.
                Bullseye! You have just hit on the real reason I am running this race and why I run in general. Hell, why I do anything, pretty much, now that I think about it. Rhymes with running? Sunning? Munning? Oh wait, that's not a word. Uhmmmm.........Plumbing? Anyway....great advice....thanks!!!!!!
                Purdey

Self anointed title

5) No, but it might help with the babes. And the babes are a significantly underrated factor in the big races. There you are, surrounded by literally thousands of fit young ladies, all dressed in running shorts, an easy topic to start conversations already set up for you (hint: it rhymes with running) ... if you're single, seize the day, my friend. Try wearing Aramis. But no Aqua Velva. quote> Rhymes with running.... go on, put us out of our misery...