The Bible on The History Channel (Read 414 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Well, since we are on the subject, I have one question that has stayed with me as I have grown up.  What I was taught when young by my parents now conflicts greatly with my current beliefs.   --(The question concerns Noah's ark, and 'assuming' that what the bible says about Noah's ark is true).

How is it that the worst event to ever occur on the planet earth (destruction of all mankind, including pregnant women, children, infants, in a horrible 40-day flood), can be somehow made into a pretty and positive children's book?

How do people that believe the Noah's Ark writings to be true take all that horror and turn it into a pastel colored book and a positive message for children?  That one item alone really gets my goat.

Well, BoilerTom pretty much took care of the theology behind it, but if you're just asking how the story itself is acceptable as a children's story, it's just a matter of focus.  In those books, you see a boat!  And lots of animals!  And a rainbow from God!  Pretty acceptable kid's stuff.  The horrible drownings, you don't see mentioned much.

...and like Wing points out, it's not just Biblical narratives that often get this treatment.  Remember how Cinderella's sisters chopped off parts of their feet in an effort to make them fit the glass slipper?  Not if you're only familiar with the Disney version.  And it's usually mentioned that Hansel and Gretel burned a human being alive, but it's rarely dwelt upon.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm sure Issac's sacrifice makes a very nice bedtime story.

You can just imagine:

LittleBobby: Daddy, so if God told you to kill me, you would?

Dad: Yes.  But don't worry.  An angel would stop me.

I have a feeling the next time there are monsters under the bed at 3am, Mommy gets called.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

#artbydmcbride

We are supposed to turn the stories of the Old Testament into pastel children's books?  I didn't get that memo.

Runners run

Wing

Joggaholic

We are supposed to turn the stories of the Old Testament into pastel children's books?  I didn't get that memo.

And action heroes!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

spoonerweb

We do it to more modern stories too. Who watches the Titanic just to see all the people drown?

Hmmmmm, who in the world was able to get the copyright to reproduce a likeness of Moses?  Who holds the rights to that?!  :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Most classic children's stories, from the bible or the Brothers Grimm or otherwise, were pretty gruesome. Back in pre-20th century times, they were presumably to give children an early introduction to the fact that life was as they say, nasty, brutish & short.

Dave

It's really not that hard understand, but you won't believe it if you won't believe the authenticity of the Bible.  God made a perfect world in every respect  (remember after every day of creation, God said "it was good!), and all of man except for Noah and his family stopped obeying him. God gave man plenty of chances to "clean up their act" but they refused. Essentially, the world was one evil wretch.  The flood was basically God's reset switch for the world, and afterwords He promised to never do it again. That promise is the rainbow.

But, that's not the whole story. God still can not stand the evil of this world. And we'd all be doomed to eternity in Hell if it weren't for Jesus. He paid the price for our sins/evil, but first a person has to chose to believe in Him.

Thank you.  Sincerely.  Thank you.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Most classic children's stories, from the bible or the Brothers Grimm or otherwise, were pretty gruesome. Back in pre-20th century times, they were presumably to give children an early introduction to the fact that life was as they say, nasty, brutish & short.

I certainly would not presume such.

I might guess, rather wildly, that children's stories started out as happy little adventure tales about cyanomethanimine and ethanamine in Sagittarius B2.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

That must have been one big ass ark.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jeffdonahue

That must have been one big ass ark.

It was pretty big - about 450 long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high.

It's really not that hard understand, but you won't believe it if you won't believe the authenticity of the Bible.  God made a perfect world in every respect  (remember after every day of creation, God said "it was good!), and all of man except for Noah and his family stopped obeying him. God gave man plenty of chances to "clean up their act" but they refused. Essentially, the world was one evil wretch.  The flood was basically God's reset switch for the world, and afterwords He promised to never do it again. That promise is the rainbow.

But, that's not the whole story. God still can not stand the evil of this world. And we'd all be doomed to eternity in Hell if it weren't for Jesus. He paid the price for our sins/evil, but first a person has to chose to believe in Him.

very well said.     and I would add that God promised to never distroy the earth by FLOOD again.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I think Woody Guthrie had it right:

"God gave Noah the rainbow sign 
                              It won't be water, but fire next time."

I think Woody Guthrie had it right:

"God gave Noah the rainbow sign 
                                It won't be water, but fire next time."

I think Bill Cosby had it right... 
                                "How long can you tread water? Ha Ha Ha Ha"

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life