Question about taping... (Read 1045 times)

Before heading out for a long run I have learned to tape my known blister/callus spots. I was wondering if others do that, or if they've found some other way to avoid the need.

Michelle

Mississippi (did I spell right?): When you do distance running, some blisters are inevitable. But if your shoes fit your feet correctly, you shouldn't have them too frequently. Think about prevention instead of dealing with them. Note where you get blisters; do you have "hot spots" when you get shoes? Do you choose your shoes based on brand, price, looks...??? Or actual fit, the model that worked well before (knock on wood, they still have that model!)...??? Look for a pattern where you get blisters (you mention "callus"; so do you get blisters on pretty much the same spot all the time?); dig into why you're getting those blisters on the same spot. Taping could work--I've noticed many people talk about duct tape. I've used regular old Band Aid IF I have pre-existing blister(s)... I'm quite picky with shoes and I guess I don't get blisters (or black toe nails) as often.
        Mississippi (did I spell right?): When you do distance running, some blisters are inevitable. But if your shoes fit your feet correctly, you shouldn't have them too frequently. Think about prevention instead of dealing with them. Note where you get blisters; do you have "hot spots" when you get shoes? Do you choose your shoes based on brand, price, looks...??? Or actual fit, the model that worked well before (knock on wood, they still have that model!)...??? Look for a pattern where you get blisters (you mention "callus"; so do you get blisters on pretty much the same spot all the time?); dig into why you're getting those blisters on the same spot. Taping could work--I've noticed many people talk about duct tape. I've used regular old Band Aid IF I have pre-existing blister(s)... I'm quite picky with shoes and I guess I don't get blisters (or black toe nails) as often.
        I've gotten used to the blisters from really long runs, they come and go and don't bother me too much. It's the constant callus on my right foot that drives me crazy. I do my best to keep it at bay but it comes easily and often. And, not just on long runs. I've started taping it for all of my runs now. I might be due for some new shoes. My shoes are difficult to size because I have a bunion on my right foot and not one on my left since I had that removed when I was 12. So a shoe that fits well on my left foot isn't always the best for my right. Angry I pick my shoes based on comfort. I get a neutral shoe with extra cushion and a roomy toe box. Maybe it's the way I plant my foot with each step. If that's the case I'd better purchase a lifetime supply of tape!! When I tape I just use regular medical tape, just two short pieces over the spot. It helps but it does not eliminate. I've been dealing with this one for a year now and I'm looking for a way to make it go away for good!!!

Michelle

Michelle, I dealt with blisters and callouses for years until I finally found the right shoes. The last time I got a blister was when I ran the Rock n Roll marathon last year.

Jennifer mm#1231

Michelle, I dealt with blisters and callouses for years until I finally found the right shoes. The last time I got a blister was when I ran the Rock n Roll marathon last year.
            Really? Hmmmm. I think it's time for a trip to my running store. I would love for a new shoe to be the answer. This cycle of dealing with this thing is annoying! I was having a heck of a time with blisters on my toes until I started buying shoes with a larger toe box. So now I have to move onto the next issue.

Michelle

Mississippi: Finding the right shoes is very very important. Once you get them, seach some internet shop or mail-order shop where you can get a good discount (or find a local store who could possibly give you discount for purchasing several pairs) and get a half a dozen pairs (I used to do that as well). Wherever you may be gettin blisters/callous, I'm assuming it's on the base of your big toe???, you don't want any extra reinforcement or anything because that will most likely add extra bulk to it. If any of those reinforcement is wrinkling up, cut it up and saw it up again. I can even show you some images how to do it. The shoe should NOT have any pressure point; not just when you put them on; but when you go through "running action", meaning, flexing of your toes, etc. Even when you flex your foot (pointing your toes) because this is when the so-called Achilles tab would dig into your Achilles tendon. I know you're not having an Achilles problem (or are you?); but I'm just making a point. In regards to the issue of your right foot and left foot; you may want to consider cutting off a piece off from where you're getting a problem. You don't want to get shoes that's too big, trying to get a wider toe box. Bunions grow (?) if your shoes, for running or for non-running, are too pointy and squeeze your toes at the tip. You DO need some room on your toe box. I had a bunion problem once when the shoes that were provided to us (for a corporate team) had too pointy a toe box. As soon as I changed the shoe to wider toe boxed shoes, the problem went away. You can also practice spreading your toes (there's a simple spongy device at drug store) you can wear at night or when you're walking around at home. You can also try socks with sperate toes (Injinji, I believe, is the one in the US)--quite popular in Japan. Walking around barefoot also helps. For the actual blister problem, there is a product called Engo (from local MN company) that you can actually place inside the shoe to eliminate rubbing. This is a low friction adhisive patch. If you want, I can send you some samples--I don't work for them; I never gotten paid by them but I do believe this helps and I have helped them distribute this product at some ultra races in the past. If my e-mail address is not available (I'm not quite sure if I've done it right and if my e-mail address is available on the forum here...), it's nobby415@msn.com. Feel free to drop me your mailing address; I'll send you a few samples and see if it works. Like I said, you place this inside the shoe and it stays there--so you don't have to replace it every time you run (taping your foot instead).
                Before heading out for a long run I have learned to tape my known blister/callus spots. I was wondering if others do that, or if they've found some other way to avoid the need.
                A roomy enough toe box will solve some problems, like the callus I had on the outside front edge of the feet. I use the little elastic tubes, lined with gel on half the inside, over problem toes with permanent corns or calluses.
                  Had a quick peak in your log and saw that you're currently running on two different shoes - the Asics Gel Nimbus 9 and the New Balance 1061. I noticed that the NBs are 1/2 size larger than the Asics. Could it be that the Asics are a bit tight? Would going up a 1/2 size make a difference? The Asics are notorious for fitting a bit small, in fact, many people have recommended buying 1/2 larger because of the narrow fit. By the way, how do you like Nimbus 9's? I am still running on the 8's. www.efootwear.com was clearing them out for $79.99, so I picked up a few pair.
                    Had a quick peak in your log and saw that you're currently running on two different shoes - the Asics Gel Nimbus 9 and the New Balance 1061. I noticed that the NBs are 1/2 size larger than the Asics. Could it be that the Asics are a bit tight? Would going up a 1/2 size make a difference? The Asics are notorious for fitting a bit small, in fact, many people have recommended buying 1/2 larger because of the narrow fit. By the way, how do you like Nimbus 9's? I am still running on the 8's. www.efootwear.com was clearing them out for $79.99, so I picked up a few pair.
                    The Asics have been great, they were perfect from the first mile I ran, no breaking them in was needed. This is my second pair of Asics that I've owned. The NB are ones that my aunt bought for me, without my trying them on...which is why they are a half a size larger than what I would normally get. At first they were great with extra cushioning, but now I'm starting to think they might be a big factor in my callus issue. My plan is to get new shoes at the start of February (already spent my running money for the month of January).

Michelle

Finding the right shoes is very very important. I know you're not having an Achilles problem (or are you?)... For the actual blister problem, there is a product called Engo (from local MN company) that you can actually place inside the shoe to eliminate rubbing. This is a low friction adhisive patch. If you want, I can send you some samples--I don't work for them; I never gotten paid by them but I do believe this helps and I have helped them distribute this product at some ultra races in the past. If my e-mail address is not available (I'm not quite sure if I've done it right and if my e-mail address is available on the forum here...), it's nobby415@msn.com. Feel free to drop me your mailing address; I'll send you a few samples and see if it works. Like I said, you place this inside the shoe and it stays there--so you don't have to replace it every time you run (taping your foot instead).
                      Thanks Nobby. I think that I've now determined that I still need to continue my search for the perfect shoe. I am not having Achilles problems at all - and hope to never have them. The blisters I don't worry about too much now that I've gotten into the habit of buying a shoe with the bigger toe box. Thanks for the offer though! Of course now that I've said this I'll be getting blisters all the time and then I'll come looking for your e-mail address to get some of those samples!!! Big grin

Michelle

The Asics have been great, they were perfect from the first mile I ran, no breaking them in was needed. This is my second pair of Asics that I've owned. The NB are ones that my aunt bought for me, without my trying them on...which is why they are a half a size larger than what I would normally get. At first they were great with extra cushioning, but now I'm starting to think they might be a big factor in my callus issue. My plan is to get new shoes at the start of February (already spent my running money for the month of January).
                        Turn those shoe over and check the shape from the bottom. Most likely NB shoes are quite a bit more straight than ASICS. In general, NB shoes are more straight (except for those bright orange ones from Japan). There is a place for those "more straight" shoes but if you have "more curved type" of feet, something's gotta stick out (by trying to fit them in more straight shoe). Usually the spots that would stick out would be heel, outside the base of your little toe or the base of your big toe. I would imagine ASICS Nimbus have quite roomy toe box??? In most cases, if the shoe fits your foot right, you shouldn't have to get the shoe a half a size bigger. Also, sizing can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It is quite irritating they do it that way but ideally don't go by simple number (sizing); put them on and make sure they fit.

Think Whirled Peas

I too am running the Nimbus 8's and have wondered about the 9's...also, I'm a 1/2 size bigger in Asics than in most other shoes.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Try double ply socks (like Wright Socks) - the only times I get blisters with those is if my feet get thoroughly soaked early in a long run.