Need some plyometrics info (Read 1599 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey folks, wondering if anyone can recommend a good plyometrics routine. I'm hoping to improve my explosiveness, economy, and strengthen me hammies, and I've heard that hopping/skipping/jumping can help. But I'm not sure where to start. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

God, plyometrics is a word that gave me nightmares in HS. I remember doing sort of high skipping, butt kicks, and runs with knees up high. That's about all I recall. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Butt kicks, eh? I've got a few in-laws I could use that one on... Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Butt kicks, eh? I've got a few in-laws I could use that one on... Clowning around
          *snort* I hear that! Wink

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Scout, thanks for posting those. Now I'm really thinking the weight workouts I have been doing all Winter have had an even greater benefit to my running than I had first thought...I've easily dropped 30-60 seconds off of my average pace for every type of run I'm doing (my speed workouts in the past month haven't hurt, either, I'm certain). And I know backroadrunner did minimal running this Winter and her pace didn't suffer a whit--but she has been doing a ton of strength-training.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Good stuff, Scout. Thanks dude. Big grin

Scout7

Welcome. I will say this much, and this is more of a personal view than a scientific one. I consider weight training as a subset of strength training. I don't do weight training. I do some level of strength training (such as some of the form drills), and I consider hill running to be strength training. To me, I would much rather spend my time doing task-specific training, so my strength training is running. Weight workouts won't produce the same effects I'm looking for. For some people, weights work great. For others, they don't. I have not seen any sort of conclusive statement that says weight training makes a difference or not to endurance athletes. I'm not saying don't lift weights. I'm just expressing my personal views on weight training v. strength training v. endurance training.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I will say this much, and this is more of a personal view than a scientific one. ... I'm not saying don't lift weights. I'm just expressing my personal views on weight training v. strength training v. endurance training.
                  The views expressed in this post are the expressed personal views of Scout7 and inclusion of them in this forum does not in any way shape or form indicate endorsement on the part of Running Ahead, its founder, members, or the running community as a whole. Any re-broadcast or re-transmission of this post without the expressed written permission of Scout7 is prohibited. For entertainment purposes only. Not intended to foster a belief in psychic reading. Results shown are not typical. Your results may very. May cause nausea, dizziness and flatulence. Clowning around

Scout7

Particularly the flatulence. Just ask my wife. And thanks for the disclaimer.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Particularly the flatulence. Just ask my wife.
                      Running makes me toot. Burp, too. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

I have tried and failed to make drills--such as those that zoom and scout mentioned--a part of my routine. I have not doubt they can help. Honestly, once I started religiously making simple strides a part of my regimen, all manner of tight/strained/pulled hamstrings completely disappeared. And I used to battle sore/strained hammies all the time. Especially when I started doing speedwork and racing. Now, I do strides at least 2x week most weeks and my hammies are solid--strong and not tight. I know I must sound like a broken record recommending strides for everything but I can't say enough about them. Probably the single biggest bang for my buck (aside from just more mileage) that I've ever gotten from any single change in my training.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Honestly, once I started religiously making simple strides a part of my regimen, all manner of tight/strained/pulled hamstrings completely disappeared. And I used to battle sore/strained hammies all the time. Especially when I started doing speedwork and racing. Now, I do strides at least 2x week most weeks and my hammies are solid--strong and not tight.
                          MM, when you do your strides: 1) How long? (I'm assuming about 100m) 2) Do you sprinkle them throughout the run, or are they more towards the beginning? Thanks, Jeff

MM, when you do your strides: 1) How long? (I'm assuming about 100m) 2) Do you sprinkle them throughout the run, or are they more towards the beginning? Thanks, Jeff
                            1.) I generally do them by time. I'll do 8 x 20 seconds with 40-45 second recoveries. That's probably about 150m each or so. Once in a while I'lld go to the track and do 10 x 100 or 6 x 200, or I'll do barfoot strides on the field-turf football field. But mostly its on the roads, in the middle of an otherwise easy run. 2.) On a normal "strides" run, I'll do an easy 3-5 mile warmup, then do 8 x 20 secs with 40 sec recoveries, then run easy the rest of the way home. So if anything they are closer to the end of a run than the beginning. This is a pretty easy run all in all--it takes almost no recovery. I do these the day before a workout no problem. I also include a few strides after a lot of my workouts. So on Sunday I did a 12-mile run with 6 x 800 on the track, then about 25 minutes of easy runnning, then 4 x 30 second strides, then jog the last 1.7 miles home...stuff like that. So if it's a week when I have two runs that are actually labeled "strides", I may wind up doing *some* strides in 4 of my runs (2 strides runs, 2 workouts.)

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Running makes me toot.
                              Legend has it that some guy from my high school (back in the late 70's / early 80's) tooted on 21 consecutive steps while running. (I think my PR is like 7~8, but I never really trained properly for the event.) Oddly, they don't have that school record hanging on the wall in the gym... Clowning around