Looking for a soft, supportive Nike trainer (Read 108 times)

I've been wearing Nike for the past 6 years.   Love the products, the look, the durability.

I'm a mild over-pronator and I'm 6-2, 160lbs.   I love a pillow-soft mushy trainer with lots of forefoot cushioning for my easy and long runs, but use racing shoes for workouts.

I had my best luck with the LunarGlide 1 and 2.  Also enjoyed running with Vomero 5 + 6, and Pegasus 27 + 28 and have resorted to eBay to buy all of these shoes recently but they are becoming scarce.

I decided to buy the LunarGlide 7 with the hopes that it would be somewhat similar to the early versions.  This was not to be and I find the shoe to be heavy, clunky, hard, and somewhat unresponsive.   I also had the Structure Triax for awhile and disliked it for the same reasons.

So, a few questions:

1.  Is the new LunarTempo and the new Pegasus softer than the new LunarGlides?

2.  Has Vomero gone back to being a soft, plush shoe like the previous versions?

3.  What is currently Nike's softest shoe with the most forefoot cushioning?

Doug-

Have you tried the Zoom Elite's?  I know that wasn't your direct question but it might be something you'd like if you want a Nike with forefoot cushioning, mild stability control, in a very responsive trainer.

(I run for an adidas club now, and haven't worn Nike's for a couple of years. However I grew up in Niketown (Beaverton) and ran in Nike's for 25 years.)

thanks for the reply...

I've never tried those, but will look into them.  My biggest concern is forefoot cushioning, as tend to land on the ball of my foot.

I did have the Nike Air Elite 4 as well as the Nike Lunar Elite about 4 years ago and both led to some serious ankle issues.  I was doing about 60mpw back then and noticed that whenever I'd wear either of those shoes I'd be in a world of pain afterwards. 

I find the Pegasus 32 pretty much the same as the 29 as far as the cushioning goes. I have both currently in rotation and maybe the only difference I notice is a bit less space in the toebox in the 32.

I went out for the long run today and wore the 29 in the first part and then the 32 in the second, for the sake of comparison. I do find the 32 slightly less cushioned in the forefoot in the 32 than in the 29.

I went out for the long run today and wore the 29 in the first part and then the 32 in the second, for the sake of comparison. I do find the 32 slightly less cushioned in the forefoot in the 32 than in the 29.

This is frustrating.  I understand that in order for a company to stay competitive, they must continue to evolve their products.  However, it seems like Nike shoes have gotten worse with each new model update.

Have you tried the Zoom Elite's?  I know that wasn't your direct question but it might be something you'd like if you want a Nike with forefoot cushioning, mild stability control, in a very responsive trainer.

(I run for an adidas club now, and haven't worn Nike's for a couple of years. However I grew up in Niketown (Beaverton) and ran in Nike's for 25 years.)

My last 2200 miles (other than races) are in zoom elites (just ordered pair #6 today). They aren't super cushioned in forefoot. Good solid everyday shoe though, for any pace.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                Alrunr

Might want to check out the Nike Zoom Fly. It offers some support for mild overpronators and offers a nice amount of cushioning under the forefoot. It's not a well known shoe but is inexpensive compared to the other Nike shoes listed. You can usually find them on 3rd party sites at a deep discount. Just picked up the Zoom Fly 2 for $60.

Might want to check out the Nike Zoom Fly. It offers some support for mild overpronators and offers a nice amount of cushioning under the forefoot. It's not a well known shoe but is inexpensive compared to the other Nike shoes listed. You can usually find them on 3rd party sites at a deep discount. Just picked up the Zoom Fly 2 for $60.

Thanks for the hint. I looked for them on the page where I usually buy my shoes and they have them on sale for 50-66€. Now I just have to convince my husband that I REALLY need another pair. 

I˙ve ordered the Fly- AND a pair of running thights. I totally needed those too. Badly.

Those might be the shoe I'm looking for.  Thanks!

Feeling the growl again

This is frustrating.  I understand that in order for a company to stay competitive, they must continue to evolve their products.  However, it seems like Nike shoes have gotten worse with each new model update.

Heh.  I said that 15 years ago.

I'd branch out and try some other brands.  You may be surprised.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills