Training plan immediately before race (Read 561 times)

Hi All-

My first race is still pretty far out (June 16th 5k Obstacle/Mud run), but I was wondering what the general philosophy is regarding training in the last week or so running up to a race - ease off, take a couple days off before the race, or just keep going full on?

Thanks!

-James

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

runfaster235

For a 5K you really only need about a 3 day taper.  I usually go with a day off 2 days before the race and then an easy run of a few miles (2mi-5mi) the day before with some strides at the end of the run. 

Good luck

Steve

www.runningmybest.com

As mentioned above,  a 5K needs minimal tapering. Just watch your intensity 4 days before an up to race. I personally don't taper miles before a 5K, just intensity. Tues  before the race I like to get the legs moving a bit - 3 X 1K at 10K effort followed by some striders. I also like to run the day before and take the day before off. If higher miles, you don't need to take any days off if accustomed to training every day. For you, just run 20-30 minutes easy the day before. Do a mile jog the day of race with last 2 min at race pace. Do this 20-30 min before the race. Keep moving, a few striders etc. until the gone goes off.

Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, succeed!!

One of the things I wish someone told me early in my racing days was: even though you're not running that hard the day before your race...do not eat a whole bunch of sushi or drink a bunch of soju the night before the race.

This also goes for doing track workouts or hills or going out to the movies late or deciding to try yoga for the first time the day before the race...

In your last few days before the race it is less about what you do to prepare and more about what you don't do to sabotage yourself.

Whatever you do don't try a new sport on Wed/Thu before a sat race. Painful lesson learned a couple of years ago.  Although I can sort of get away with such idiocy on Friday night.  Takes a couple of days for DOMS to kick in for me.

Regarding your question I too think taking Thursday off  (if you want to) and running 2-3 miles easy with a few striders on Friday works best for me, rather than taking Friday off (with or without Thursday off).  Feel sluggish, heavy after a day off even on normal everyday runs. 

Thanks for the advice all! Smile

I'll definitely have to watch out for the sushi and soju combination - that sounds like it wouldn't work out too well... Wink

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)