Linux Users: Chime In... (Read 165 times)

Better I Leave

We got any? I'm sure we do. As for me, I've been running Linux in various "flavors" since about 2000. I started w/ Mandrake, then Redhat, then Gentoo (stayed with Gentoo for a long time....loved the portage tree), the Ubuntu, and just recently to LinuxMint w/ Cinnamon.

I believe it was about 3 years ago that I finally "blew away" my Windoze partition and went exclusively Linux.

Anyone else?

Only Linux I get to deal with are the VMWare servers in work, that's enough for me LOL.

Not dead. Yet.

I run Ubuntu at home; mostly Red Hat at work.  But I consider myself more of a Unix user than Linux.  At work I rarely look at a Gnome/KDE desktop.  Instead I am remoted into all kinds of different machines in our facility in the shell.  And my main machine at work is a Mac which I consider to be the best of both worlds.  It's a pretty and friendly interface, but is built on Unix and has built in support for all the common tools, the shell, compilers, open source software, etc, etc.

I am a Windoze hater too, but I try to keep a runnable copy around to run some games if I ever get the urge.  I rarely do.  I almost tried out Mint a while back.  Heard good things about it, but just never found the need.  Ubuntu has gotten so good that you forget it's not mainstream.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Better I Leave

I almost tried out Mint a while back.  Heard good things about it, but just never found the need.  Ubuntu has gotten so good that you forget it's not mainstream.

I ran Ubuntu for years and really enjoyed it...but then they threw their collective weight into "Unity". I know why they did, but I couldn't stand how they took a lot of the versatility away from the end user. I started looking for alternatives and even considered jumping back to Gentoo, but thought I'd try LinuxMint...and haven't looked back since. Clean, responsive, versatile...and still based on the Debian kernel. I've got 2 terabytes left and I'm thinking of trying Suse as well...after all...I am a former Certified Netware Engineer (yes I am dating myself...LOL)

Not dead. Yet.

I'm not even positive what Unity is.  I think it's this whole computer search bar or something.  It seems to work ok, but I rarely use it.  It's new to the latest versions...I think 11 and 12.  It does not bother me.  I'm interested in Mint though, maybe I will try out the live disc just to play around at least.

Wow, I had to look up Netware, but now I remember.  They were one of the big competing OSes in the beginning.  Novell had a popular software package too, Lotus Notes? or some other spreadsheet?  Sorry, but I guess that certificate is pretty useless nowadays.  I assume you turned it into something more relevent as Windows began to take over the world...

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Gentoo user for about 10 years now, plus occasional stints with OpenSUSE (including a couple of boxes at work right now for Android development). Started all 3 of my boys with their own Linux boxes (Gentoo/KDE) at age 2, even previously had set up my wife's eeePC 901 (1st-gen Atom CPU) with Gentoo - that KDE compile was a long, hellish process... Smile

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

dog person

I've installed and played with many distros over the years, starting with the days when you had to compile the kernel, and manually configure the X window system.

I wish I could use it more, but not being able to run Photoshop and Lightroom natively makes it impossible to leave Windows. There really are no Linux equivalents to top end Adobe programs, and running them in a virtual machine makes no sense.

I'm not a Mac fan at all, and MS seems to have decided to jump off a cliff with Widows 8, so I see myself using Windows 7 for quite awhile.

I'm pretty sure that google will be a major player on the desktop in a few years, though they seem to want to push everything onto the cloud, and I'm still not sold on that.

Kristian

I use ubuntu, and have used linux since sometime in the early 90s - first installed on my home PC involved downloading a whole load of floppy disk images at university, copying to floppy and then installing slackware from the disks.

I some dual boot machines, and have occasionally done work for windows. Up to now I've worked as a computer programmer, but I'm now embarking on a new career as a lawyer, I worry that I'll have to use the 'orrible MS word to collaborate with others...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I started out with Debian way back when, have been on Ubuntu or its spinoffs since Dapper.  Now using Xubuntu at home and Ubuntu Precise at work.   Zorin is a nice variant that's comfortable for Windows people.

Regular ass person

I am a former Certified Netware Engineer (yes I am dating myself...LOL)

Not a thing wrong with that!

I tinker with some old school Redhat on one of my VMs as well. There's so much Microsoft in my life these days, I need a breath of fresh Linux from time to time.

I like Zorin but it is just a tad too Windows for me.

Tejas Runner

Mandrake, Mandriva, Red Hat, SUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, openSUSE

JaPH

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I use ubuntu, and have used linux since sometime in the early 90s - first installed on my home PC involved downloading a whole load of floppy disk images at university, copying to floppy and then installing slackware from the disks.

Pre 1.0 Kernel here too.  On the school computer I figured out that the Mail Spooler partition didn't have user quotas enforced on it, so I would FTP all the floppies there overnight and image them to 3.5" in the morning.  Was crazy that Emacs took up more floppies than X.  Can't say I miss the days of manual X configuration -- nor of manually patching kernels.

I run debian at home (fluxbox).  Oddly work makes me use Windows for coding.  Cygwin, baby!

I use my wife's computer (winXP) because nobody has made Garmin 610 support for Linux.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TJoseph

I use Linux on servers (Centos, Redhat, and some others), but Windows 7 on my laptops and desktops.

Prince of Fatness

I hate Linux.  I've been a Windows guy for a long time and to me it just feels like it takes a completely different mindset to navigate around and get things done.  We have a couple of Linux servers in the office but are trying to move away from them.

Not really a knock on Linux, but it is different and there aren't enough hours in the day for me to familiarize myself with it.

Not at it at all. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I hate Linux.  I've been a Windows guy for a long time and to me it just feels like it takes a completely different mindset to navigate around and get things done.

No argument there.  Some of us just have that mindset.

And I have to say, the view from the other side of the looking glass is equally frustrating.  I always feel like I need to know a secret handshake to do anything off the beaten path in MS-Windows. (oh, no, don't send me to the Registry again! I hate that place).

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do