Crutches (mental) (Read 629 times)

I found that I rely too much on other stuff to get me out of my comfort zone. I'm chatting with dh and hear myself complaining about today and realized that it's really up to me to push myself not the crowd, bands, MP3 player or dh. I've been spoiled in the races that I've run. They have all been nicely organized. I shouldn't be dissappointed with the fact that there really wasn't much of a crowd or much music or that I didn't have my MP3 player (my choice) or dh to keep me company. I have to be able to do it on my own. Guess that is one more thing I need to work on in my training. Pushing myself! Good thing I plan on starting speed work training. It will be interesting to see if I can push myself enough to do it!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Yeah, we have gotten spoiled with the circus that surrounds races Wink
      2009: BQ?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I definitely slow down in races if I'm on a stretch by myself. It's hard to stay motivated without the hubbub. I don't like not having my iPod, either, but I refuse to deal with one extra gadget on race day--even if iPods are allowed in a race. I do miss having the music to help me keep tempo, though. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Yeah, we have gotten spoiled with the circus that surrounds races Wink
          Not all races: http://www.harpethhillsmarathon.com/ You're welcome, Trent.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Yeah yeah, I was waiting for that Tongue
              Yeah yeah, I was waiting for that Tongue
                I mentioned in my race report that the Monkey was looking alot more appealing Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm glad this wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Hmmm. The race is the week of my birthday. What would be a better way to celebrate (runner's style that is) than running my first marathon?

Michelle

My whole race mood was thrown off but I think that actually helped me. If I had run with my friends I wouldn't have finished in 1:21 -- they were all around above 1:24 up to 1:30. I didn't have my ipod because my 12 y/o had my ear buds, but that's okay, there was enough going on around me. I didn't mind the crowd while running, it was helpful to have motivation around me.

Michelle

I had a hard time at my Half this weekend. I've been doing a lot of my training and almost all of my long runs alone. The crowds and the bands really threw me off. Of course the whole race was like a circus. 35,000 runners. Crowds every where. Bands. Cheerleaders. It was really distracting to me. I couldn't get the mental thing going at all. Sad You'd think that living in this house with 4 kids, a dh who works at home, 2 loony dogs and 2 cats that I'd be used to chaos. LOL! Teresa