Post-Race Blues... (Read 817 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gosh...I don't know that I've ever experienced this before, but ever since last night I have been really feeling bummed. I trained for Saturday's race for an entire year...and now it's over. I still have 2 HMs this fall and a couple of races this Summer, but that was my big goal race for the year. Am I the only one who feels pretty sad after the big race is over? I honestly thought I would be insanely relieved to have that pressure off and the hardest training of the year behind me, but I'm only a little bit relieved. If I could do a big race like that every month I think I would--I had a hella good time, even though I didn't get under my goal time. Sad k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Am I the only one who feels pretty sad after the big race is over?
      Nope! After marathons I initially feel a high, can't-be-beat feeling, and then over the following week or so... BLAH. Post-race blues are TOTALLY NORMAL! I would suggest finding fun, non racing stuff to do while the feelings work their way out of your body... massage, pedicure?! Big grin
      2009: BQ?
      Jeffrey

Put another run/race on your calendar. That helps! Smile
          Gosh...I don't know that I've ever experienced this before, but ever since last night I have been really feeling bummed. I trained for Saturday's race for an entire year...and now it's over. I still have 2 HMs this fall and a couple of races this Summer, but that was my big goal race for the year. Am I the only one who feels pretty sad after the big race is over? I honestly thought I would be insanely relieved to have that pressure off and the hardest training of the year behind me, but I'm only a little bit relieved. If I could do a big race like that every month I think I would--I had a hella good time, even though I didn't get under my goal time. k
          I can relate a little bit. After running my first HM I was hoping for more feelings of accomplishment or something, it was strange. I felt like I just did something totally amazing but I'm not sure why I didn't feel happier about it. MAYBE it's a runner thing. We know that we can and will do better so it's not like when we finish a race, it's truly over. We're just getting ready for the next one. The second we cross a finish line we know there's another race ahead.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Put another run/race on your calendar. That helps! Smile
            I have one in less than 6 weeks...but I wish there were others nearby in the meantime. Trishie, that pedicure idea sounds great, though--would be perfect timing for Summer, too. Smile Luckily the next few weeks will be pretty busy, so that should help. School will be getting out soon, then my mom and my nephew plan to visit and we'll probably drive to see them either before or after they are here. That's a big road trip to plan for (about a 9-10 hour drive). k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The second we cross a finish line we know there's another race ahead.
              That does help. And my next race is really a milestone for me, too. Last year my very first race was the 5k event. This year I will be doing the simultaneous 15k. That 5k was the race that got me so hooked in the first place. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Here's a totally selfish tactic. Run a small town race. After running two really big races this year I have learned to appreciate the small ones, where there's at least a chance that I'll actually place in my age group! In the big races I felt like "just another bib number".

Michelle

where there's at least a chance that I'll actually place in my age group
                  I WISH I could do this! Everyone and their mother is a runner in the D.C./ Baltimore/ Northern VA area ... (and their mothers are probably masters' winners too Tongue) . I ran by best 10K in 47:29 and placed 11th in my age group! Le sigh, maybe when I'm 80 ... Wink
                  2009: BQ?
                    I placed first in a local 5k last month. I've never done that before, and the time wasn't all that great for placing (25:10)...but since it was such a small crowd, I did. When they called my name it took a few seconds and then my husband nudged me, since it hadn't even registered in my brain that they just called my name out.

Michelle

Gosh...I don't know that I've ever experienced this before, but ever since last night I have been really feeling bummed. I trained for Saturday's race for an entire year...and now it's over. I still have 2 HMs this fall and a couple of races this Summer, but that was my big goal race for the year. Am I the only one who feels pretty sad after the big race is over? I honestly thought I would be insanely relieved to have that pressure off and the hardest training of the year behind me, but I'm only a little bit relieved. If I could do a big race like that every month I think I would--I had a hella good time, even though I didn't get under my goal time. Sad k
                      Your definetly not alone. I've actually started considering doing a race every week as my speed work. For some reason I have REALLY gotten bitten by the race bug!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Crap, I had a response all typed up and then I accidentally closed the browser. Doh! Blush I love the ideas of running a few more races, esp small ones. Or, you could run a big one and crush your 10k pr. Or you could run a great 15k and have a fun weekend up north. Also, be sure to draw on the energy from last Saturday. Think about that Cheesy grin you told us about, and the emotions you were feeling at that time. You weren't a spectator to it -- it happened to you. And definitely treat yourself to something nice (massage, pedicure, Garmin, MacBook). You deserve it. Sometimes I plan in advance what incentives/rewards I'm gonna give myself when I reach a goal, so that I know I have something to look forward to "the day after."

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

And definitely treat yourself to something nice (massage, pedicure, Garmin, MacBook). You deserve it. Sometimes I plan in advance what incentives/rewards I'm gonna give myself when I reach a goal, so that I know I have something to look forward to "the day after."
                          I agree. That makes the reward of finishing a long trained for race last all that much longer!

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love the ideas of running a few more races, esp small ones. Or, you could run a big one and crush your 10k pr. Or you could run a great 15k and have a fun weekend up north. Also, be sure to draw on the energy from last Saturday. Think about that Cheesy grin you told us about, and the emotions you were feeling at that time. You weren't a spectator to it -- it happened to you. And definitely treat yourself to something nice (massage, pedicure, Garmin, MacBook). You deserve it. Sometimes I plan in advance what incentives/rewards I'm gonna give myself when I reach a goal, so that I know I have something to look forward to "the day after."
                            Reed's Lake is one I have thought of, though I am planning to kill my shitty 10k PR at the CG fest, again. I think that's only a week after the Chronicle Seaway 15k, anyhow...might be a bit much to have those races 2 weekends in a row. That Cherry Fest race DOES look fun, though. Too bad I am *trying* to not cram too much in this Summer so that hubby can train hard for his JDRF benefit ride in Montana in mid-Aug. I did treat myself to some nice stuff with eBay auction sale $ and Mother's Day dough from my MIL. Just ordered a nice pair of Keen sandals (my old Tevas are too narrow...I swear running has made my already wide feet that much wider) and an Amphipod 20-20 bottle pack for running in hot weather. That will work nicely if my son and I do some little runs and he wants his own bottle, too (which mommy pack mule will carry, of course). k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Post race is ABSOLUTELY a low point! You will need to push yourself out the door! But do it! Others have covered the "get another race on your calendar bit... OK, this isn't too far from you is it? Looks like fun! http://www.mlive.com/seawayrun/ OK, here's the deal, I did some checking and you're just gonna hafta move! OR...take a lesson from Trent and create your own race! Yeah, that's it...the Kristin Klassik! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, this isn't too far from you is it? Looks like fun! http://www.mlive.com/seawayrun/ OK, here's the deal, I did some checking and you're just gonna hafta move! OR...take a lesson from Trent and create your own race! Yeah, that's it...the Kristin Klassik! Lynn B
                                Yep, that was my first race last year--the 5k--and the start of my little addiction. I'm doing the 15k this year. It is a really awesome race. Not very big, but they have chipped start and finish, nice course, great atmosphere. And the best part is that it's less than a half hour away! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay