Running Clubs (Read 1217 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This week I passed another milestone. I have 66,018 miles of running since 1978 for an average of 10K a day
    Dude, that is awesome! Shocked That's over 2-1/2 times around the Earth! You are a true road warrior! WTG! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I have not joined a club. On the fence about it right now, because I'm either going to miss the track workouts, or the group run (depending on my class schedule at that time). Other than that, I would get a discount at a local store. Mostly, though, I prefer training alone as it is. So it's hard for me to justify joining a club if I'm not going to participate.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Mostly, though, I prefer training alone as it is. So it's hard for me to justify joining a club if I'm not going to participate.
        Agreed. When I train alone, I prefer to be by myself.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

Thanks, Mr. Thoroughgood.
            Cute. Big grin

Michelle

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I belong to a club. It's the best thing I did in terms of running. They helped me get my speed up, while provided me with company on the long runs. I hate running more than 10 miles by myself.
                I do. CanadaFit, based in Oakville where I live. They organize weekly long runs and Wed night track or hill workouts. They also have 4 'benchmark' runs in the summer, leading up to the targetted marathon/half marathon. These simulate races of varying distances. Mostly, it is an excuse to eat at the end! They also have weekly speakers following our long runs from anything to gears and wears to nutrition to injury prevention and rehabilitation. For me, it was about getting back into running after a long, long haitus. Now, it is mostly social.
                evillee

How about the Bucks County Road Runners club? http://www.bcrr.info/
                  Thanks I'm going to check them out.
                  mbk

I'm a member of North Texas Trail Runners (www.nttr.org). I prefer to train alone and I usually can't go to the club events, but I like to support the local trail running/walking scene. Even though I'm not very active I've met a lot of great people (RA member jlynnbob is also an NTTR member) and I like the fact that NTTR promotes the sport and protects the trails (we do a trail cleanup each summer and also encourage trail respect). I would say that joining a club just to support the local community is a great thing to do.
                    jcasetnl

I belong to Dolphin South End (www.dserunners.com) and Lake Merritt Joggers and Striders (www.lmjs.org) Both put on low-key/social races in the CA bay area for around five bucks. I participate in both because it's a great way to stay motivated and run in places you normally don't.

Burninated Peasant

The vast majority of my running begins at the end of my driveway. It's a 30 minute drive to the normal meeting spots for the closest running clubs, so I don't expect to be joining one anytime soon. Even if there were one that was fairly close, I don't know if I would want to change my schedule to mesh with theirs.

Ran my first run ever with a club last night - Woodbridge Run Co. - and it was pretty damn fun. Will race with these dudes in the fall. Never run with a group before, didn't really know what to expect...guess I shouldn't have been surprised, it was a bunch of dudes just like me, a couple of easy get to know warm up miles, a couple of test you out hammer miles, good conversation throughout (races coming up, injuries, races past, shoes, life, etc.), beers after. Good times. Hope I can continue to make this work with my schedule, because it's a pretty cool thing.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Mmmmm...beer

I joined the Tidewater Striders in Dec.  Great club, lots of good people, they do the timing for a lot of the races in the area and put on a lot of races themselves.  They offer discounts and have running groups several times a week, usually at least one day of speed work and one day of easy running.  Plus they also put on free clinics, hosted by certified coaches, I'm going to one this Sunday.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

http://www.tidewaterstriders.com/  Tidewater Striders Rocks!

Now this is one of the biggest clubs in the nation with thousands of paying menbers.  They offer so many things:  Directing of many of the local races in the Tidewater/Virginia Beach area, Great volunteer coaches who run an awesome youth running club, associated "Youth Grand Prix" running series to keep those kids motivated about winning awards, adult Grand Prix series, even Multi-Sport Grand Prix series for those who also do Du and Tri events...  Community involvement in Volunteer events (on non-race days :-) ) So many things.

PS.  Tidewater Striders members in the early 1970's founded the Shamrock Marathon, so if you have run Shamrock and enjoyed it, credit goes to the original members of the Tidewater Striders of 41 years ago :-)

Now expanding out to all running clubs in General,  the biggest thing has to be the PEOPLE.  It is a community of great people who all have a common passion for running.  ---No matter the size of the running club, everyone who joins has one major commonality with all the other members:  A love of running! :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

kcam

I joined a running club about 4 years ago.  Ran for many years before that but my race times are much faster and I'm a much better runner than I ever was since joining the club.  Highly recommended, by far the best bang-for-the-buck $20 a year I've ever spent on running.