February Swimming (Read 1249 times)

Dutchie42

1. breathing-( bi-laterally) 2. Rolling my hips. 3. "Gliding" 4. Correct arm posturing-bent elbows 5. Correct kicking ( from the hips) and 6. forward quadrant ( Keeping the arm out front until the next one almost reaches it ) When I do get all that together it's amazing! When I don't....well I drink alot of the pool. Big grin Andy
    Andy, thanks, that's very helpful. I'm gonna try that.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

OK, I tried that, but don't think I got it Smile What exactly is gliding? Had my 60 min. swim class today. I did 14 laps in 30 minutes, which is a record for me. Total of 44 laps. Mostly freestyle, with some breast stroke laps for recovery. I counted 13 strokes to get to the other side of the pool (counting right arm) and 14 strokes to get back..... That doesn't sound right, does it? Guess I forgot to count a few strokes.

Dutchie

The Greatest of All Time

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind that I crash this thread, but I have a question. I've been swimming nearly all my life but breast stroke only. Learned the freestyle last Sept. Got my advanced swim level certificate in November. Have since joined a Mon swim class (mix of breast stroke, freestyle, butterfly, diving, etc.) and a Thu swim class (freestyle only). I need and want to get faster swimming freestyle. My Thu instructor pays a lot of attention to my technique but says I need more strength in my pecs to be able to swim faster. Mon instructor tells me to work my shoulders more when strength training. Now I'm confused. To swim the freestyle faster, do I need to focus more on my pecs, or my shoulders when I strength train? Thanks.
        It's all technique. I trained alongside the University of Texas swim team and none of those guys did any lifting. I got into triathlon from a running background and swam like a typical runner....dragging legs, etc. I went to some stroke clinics by Shaun Jordan (Olympic Gold Medalist) and just some minor tweaking improved my swimming dramatically. From then on I was in the top 1/3 of all triathlon swims whereas before I was in the bottom 1/4 or worse. You should count how many strokes it takes you to go from wall to wall and as your stroke becomes more efficient you will need less strokes and you will also be much much faster. Just my $.02
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          I counted 13 strokes to get to the other side of the pool (counting right arm) and 14 strokes to get back..... That doesn't sound right, does it? Guess I forgot to count a few strokes.
          Count a stroke as each hand enters the water. I count breaths, and figure three strokes per breath when I'm breathing bi-laterally.
            Dutchie, if you're getting 13 or 14 strokes (each hand in the water is one stroke) per length, that's great! Edited to add -- if you're counting just your right hand, that's 26 or 28 strokes per length...not so great. I had a swim lesson today and got my golf score down to 87, woohoo! 57+15+15. So the process of speeding up my catch-up into a freestyle stroke has started to take hold. (my pool is yards, btw) And notice I'm still slow....but it's an effortless kinda slow...heehee Now I gotta work on NOT hauling my entire head out of the water when I breathe.
            Dutchie42

if you're counting just your right hand, that's 26 or 28 strokes per length...not so great.
              You've just given me a goal then Smile

Dutchie

Good week for swimming...Friday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday & Thursday (today). A record! Does anyone else get sneezy & sniffly for several hours after a swim?

Supa Dupa Fly

Good week for swimming...Friday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday & Thursday (today). A record! Does anyone else get sneezy & sniffly for several hours after a swim?
                  Way to go! Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday for moi. possibly Tomrrow too. re: sneezy -- Not I. It usually clears me out for the rest of the evening, actually.
                  ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--

TRIing to beat the heat!

I just started back up swimming again in preparation for my first triathlon this coming May. I swam competitvely for 13 years, but when you're out of swimming shape... well, you're out of swimming shape! Blush My very first workout consisted of about 1000 yds (in roughly 30 minutes) with 20 to 30 sec. breaks between the 50's and 100's. I then moved on to around 1300 yds (in 33 minutes) with breaks between the 100's. I'm currently up around 1750 to 1800 yds (in 33 minutes) with 10 sec. breaks between 100's/200's/300's. The improvement happened within a matter of 2.5 weeks... so everything is coming along quite nicely (quickly too). I plan on doing 2000 ladders this week. Big grin I'm also really being cognizant of breathing bilaterally. I've always been a right-sided breather, so I really have to 'think' about this right now. However, it's not as uncomfortable or unnatural as I thought it would be. Keep it up everyone! Even if you aren't a triathlete, swimming is SUCH awesome cross-training.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Hiro11

Workout from last night: 300 warm up 3X cycle (swim cycle-pull cycle-swim cycle) 200 @ 3:15 100 @ 1:35 50 @ :45 2X Cycle 200 IM @ 3:30 100 free pull @ 1:40 10X25 fast at :30 Total: 2200 yards, takes about 40 minutes. I generally don't do any kicking because I really hate it. I used to do 8K practices all the time in high school, I suck these days...