2nd run of double = fastest run ever?? (Read 391 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yesterday I did a very rare, for me, double.  Later in the day, on the spur of the moment, I decided to do another easy run.  Gaging solely by feel, I thought I was plodding through another easy run.  Legs felt pretty good, guts were threatening to cramp as they tend to do around mile eighteen.  When I got home and logged my time, however, it turned out to be one of my fastest non-race runs ever!  Is this typical?  Do I need a twelve mile warmup to be at my best?  Do you experience this as well?

Yesterday I did a very rare, for me, double.  Later in the day, on the spur of the moment, I decided to do another easy run.  Gaging solely by feel, I thought I was plodding through another easy run.  Legs felt pretty good, guts were threatening to cramp as they tend to do around mile eighteen.  When I got home and logged my time, however, it turned out to be one of my fastest non-race runs ever!  Is this typical?  Do I need a twelve mile warmup to be at my best?  Do you experience this as well?

I've been telling ya all along... ;o)

This happens to me pretty regularly.  Whenever I run in the morning, the second run of the day is almost always faster at the same effort.  My watch only displays HR and time, so I usually don't find out until I got home from the run, either.  It's always a great feeling.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Do you experience this as well?

Yup, most recently on Thursday.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

yup.  almost always.  Whether the am workout is a run or something else, the afternoon run is always much much better.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

I like using a 4-6 mile shakeout run in the morning to prepare for solid afternoon workouts.  Always worked for me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

B-Plus

I have the same experience - well, it doesn't lead to my fastest runs ever, but I can definitely say that my afternoon runs feel easier at the same effort after a morning shuffle.

If I may ask a question. Assume this runner does the main run in the afternoon/evening, and doesn't double every day, would it be more beneficial to:

(a) Do morning shakeout run before hard workout to prepare for said workout;

(b) Do morning shakeout run the next morning after hard workout to recover and prepare for the day's normal run; or

(c) It doesn't matter, it's just running?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've been telling ya all along... ;o)

Oh, when will I learn to listen to Nobby?  Smile