Ice baths are fn cold! (Read 1676 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Off season swimming pools work great!
    After running the Rocket City Marathon a few years back I tried to dangle my legs in their outdoor swimming pool, December. OUCH! Shocked Such pain!

Hawt and sexy

TMI...jeez. Save it for the swamp baby.
      Trent started it....

I'm touching your pants.

Bugs

Wear a hat. Enter slowly. Add ice. Dig Deep.

Bugs

Hawt and sexy

Um, Bugs. Are we talking about the same thing here? Big grin

I'm touching your pants.

Bugs

Um, Bugs. Are we talking about the same thing here? Big grin
            LOL. Willa your so hot you may need to add more ice.

Bugs

ymmv

Wear a hat. Enter slowly. Add ice. Dig Deep.
              you forgot HTFU....
              evtish

OK, so I didn't do a true ice bath. I filled it with cold water, got in, then added a bowl full of ice. Wore a hoody and listened to my sons ipod tunes for 15-20 minutes while the ice cubes slowly melted. Not that hardcore, but it seemed to work. Went skiiing 3-10 last night after my long run, and my legs felt OK. Legs were not that sore for my 5 miler this morning either. It seemed to help. I wasn't full hardcore, it was softcore. What are we talking about again? Confused Evil grin

uncontrollable

Just got out of my ice bath. My hip is my arch nemesis so no getting away without the full body submerged! Big bag of ice from the local corner store. Filler up. Hat, fleece, scream, get in. Shocking for about a minute then tolerable. Works for me. I use it after 20's, very hilly, super speed workouts. I can't say I ever 'look forward to them' but 10 minutes isn't really that long when your numb after the first minute!!! Wink

peace

OK, so I didn't do a true ice bath. I filled it with cold water, got in, then added a bowl full of ice. Wore a hoody and listened to my sons ipod tunes for 15-20 minutes while the ice cubes slowly melted. Not that hardcore, but it seemed to work. Went skiiing 3-10 last night after my long run, and my legs felt OK. Legs were not that sore for my 5 miler this morning either. It seemed to help. I wasn't full hardcore, it was softcore. What are we talking about again? Confused Evil grin
                    This is the right way of doing it. Jumping into ice water is just plain CRAZY! You get in to luke warm water and add ice slowly until the ice isn't melting as fast anymore... that way you can stand it. Some of you people are just crazy. That said, I'm new here.... Smile
                      Some of you people are just crazy.
                      You say "crazy" like it's a bad thing. Big grin Big grin
                      hup

This is the right way of doing it. Jumping into ice water is just plain CRAZY! You get in to luke warm water and add ice slowly until the ice isn't melting as fast anymore... that way you can stand it. Some of you people are just crazy. That said, I'm new here.... Smile
                        This is the way I do it, as well. Run the cold water, get in, add ice.
                          Somebody's thinking... http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/608106477/m/2721059062 Kneeling in the tub sounds like a good idea, you get the benefit of the ice bath without the personal agony. I think you would want one of those foam gardening kneeler pads, or at least a rolled towel for cushioning.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

holy....I'll second the thread title. 60 seconds is all I could muster as a first-time ice bather. Shocked But all tingly after a few minutes out.
                            HOSS1961

After a long run, I'll turn the shower as cold as I can and just spray my legs - it helps a bit. After a brutal run (18-20 mile progressive run or HM or longer race) I'll bit the bullet, fill the tub up with cold water, drop in two bags of ice and sit for 10 minutes. It does help./
                              Same here. I tried it after a couple of hot 20 milers and a marathon and I think it works well! 10 minutes is the key. I do a very quick shower before
                              HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured