Hansons vs Arthur Lydiard (Read 234 times)

ckerr1999

Don't want to open up a can of worms here, but does someone have a good comparison between Hansons and Lydiard's training method. Still very new to running, so just looking to become more educated and understand some of the the key differences. Thanks.

pcaharrier

There are others here who can (and probably will) give a much more detailed answer, but it's my understanding that a lot of the Hansons' method is based on principles they share with Lydiard.

There are others here who can (and probably will) give a much more detailed answer, but it's my understanding that a lot of the Hansons' method is based on principles they share with Lydiard.

That's true with a lot of the programs, other than FIRST, which is based on the microwave theory of training.

Don't want to open up a can of worms here, but does someone have a good comparison between Hansons and Lydiard's training method. Still very new to running, so just looking to become more educated and understand some of the the key differences. Thanks.

Was there anything specific you were wondering about? Have you looked up any of their websites. (Lydiard Foundation seems to be under reconstruction at the moment.)

I mean Lydiard was known for having his 800-m guys run 22-mi long runs with his longer distance guys. Hanson is generally is known for shorter long runs (16mi) for his recreational runners. Hanson's recreational programs have 10 day schedules with SOS (Something of Substance) workouts every 3 days. Both are into hills, but different approaches. (note: I'm being a little facetious on picking on some of the details rather than broad ideas.)

You might look in the Running Wizard group here to see what some of the "Lydiard-inspired" schedules look like. "Healthy Intelligent Training" by Keith Livingstone is a good explanation of Lydiard.

I think Hanson has a couple books.

Broad concepts are similar as already mentioned.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

That's true with a lot of the programs, other than FIRST, which is based on the microwave theory of training.

Tom,

Help me understand what you mean by that.

I have read "Run Less, Run Faster", and have a decent understanding of FIRST.

Likewise, I have a decent understanding of Lydiard.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

an amazing likeness

Take a look at this excellent summary and thread here (courtesy of bhearn) on RA, it might be in-line with your topic.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Take a look at this excellent summary and thread here (courtesy of bhearn) on RA, it might be in-line with your topic.

Thanks for posting that. I remembered the thread, but not which two authors (thought Hanson was one).

Here's a post about Lydiard method by JML in the Running Wizard group here.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/RunningWizard/forum/Post/89ea435c7f514e2ea52a919733aca937#focus or you can see the article directly at http://nyflyers.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-lydiard-approach-to-training-and.html

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog