Hats (Read 902 times)

Evil grin Be nice. I always wear a baseball style hat when I run, it keeps my bangs off my face and it keeps the sun out of my eyes....plus, it keeps my hair from sticking up and looking silly. ANYHOW...a friend of mine keeps telling me that I'm wrong by wearing it, she said that it (and I agree with this) keeps the heat in and also can damage hair by wearing a hat. She suggested a visor. I cannot imagine running in a visor. I could picture it just falling down and being annoying. My questions are: Does anyone have experience with wearing a visor? Does anyone have a hat brand preference? I honestly prefer velcro adjustable hats, they stay in place better and don't hurt. OR...are there baseball style hats made for runners, ones that allow more air or something? I don't want to give up my baseball cap but as warm weather approaches I think it would be better to find a "summer" hat. I hate shopping so it's much easier for me to know what I'm heading out to buy as opposed to starting blindly.

Michelle

Scout7

I wear a Nike Dri-fit hat, with velcro closure. I know they make ones that have an open weave. Dick's carries a selection, as does City Sport and probably any real running store.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think there is something to be said for any hat holding in the heat, even the open weaves, but I think that it's preferable to getting a sunburned scalp. That's the main reason why I wouldn't wear a visor. Scout's suggestion or anything similar would be a good idea b/c a hat made from technical fabric will wick the sweat away. Check out roadrunnersports.com, they have a fair amount of running hats, and even a few visors. If you're gonna wear a visor, better also bring a deck of cards. Tongue Finally, when it gets really hot and I'm not too concerned about looking completely dorktastic, I wear something like this, which keeps the sun off my neck and ears. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks Scout7 - How I hate to shop really does keep me ignorant to what is out there. I've only been in a running store once, and that was to buy my 13.1 sticker. My baseball cap now (the one I'm wearing in my avatar pic), is a Nike, Uconn hat, velcro closure, it's awesome, I wear it all the time and it's survived many many washings. I'll check out Dick's Sporting Goods, there's one about 15 minutes away.

Michelle

Finally, when it gets really hot and I'm not too concerned about looking completely dorktastic, I wear something like this, which keeps the sun off my neck and ears.
            Dorkastic - Big grin (funny word) I guess this would be good for a long long run on a sunny day, knowing that sunscreen may end up sweating off. Yeah, my husband would laugh his butt off at me if he saw me wearing that...he already is amused on how I look when I wear my soccer stuff. Roll eyes

Michelle

Scout7

Not a problem at all.
              JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I always wear a hat. I would not want to get a sunburned head ever! ouch! Plus, my hair's all layered and the hat keeps it tucked away. My favorite is one from Life Is Good and has a small pocket for carrying stuff like a key or a few dollars right over your forehead. It's wicks the moisture away and is light. I do worry about my ears being burnt, so thanks for the suggestion of covering them. Jeff, I've never seen such a hat. I usually lather on the sunscreen. Jilly
                "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff, I've never seen such a hat. I usually lather on the sunscreen.
                  There's nothing in my Irish-German-Serbian ancestry to suggest "sun resistance", so I tend to be fairly cautious. I actually originally got the hat (not that exact one but similar) for hiking, because that often involves many hours out in the sun. For running, I pretty much only break it out for long runs because a) it's dorktacular and b) sunscreen alone is usually fine for shorter runs. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I'm probably going to start wearing my old boonie hat for running.....
                    JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

There's nothing in my Irish-German-Serbian ancestry to suggest "sun resistance", so I tend to be fairly cautious. I actually originally got the hat (not that exact one but similar) for hiking, because that often involves many hours out in the sun. For running, I pretty much only break it out for long runs because a) it's dorktacular and b) sunscreen alone is usually fine for shorter runs. Cheers, Jeff
                      Does the wind get caught in the flap? I guess that I wouldn't have to worry, because i am the world's slowest runner, but what about a normal person? That would be something that I could start thinking about during a long run...."the drag from this hat is really slowing me down" I have a knack for thinking of 10 million reasons why I shouldn't do something and as soon as I saw that hat that's what I thought of. Oh brother. I don't think that it's dorktacular. I would be like, "wow, that guy runs a lot!" if you were running down the street. The cup can be half full, or half empty. I choose half full! Wink
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Dorktastic - Big grin (funny word)
                        I've found you can make some good descriptive words by using the suffixes -tacular and -tastic: dorktastic dorktacular sucktastic sucktacular craptastic craptacular Also lately been a fan of the "word" ridorkulous... Clowning around

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Does the wind get caught in the flap?
                          Yeah sometimes. It's not a perfect setup by any means. But it does the job as far as sunburn goes...

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

But it does save your ears! Smile So I say worth it. I can't get the cartoon image of a guy running as fast as he can with his head being pulled back by the wind out of my head. Oh, dear! Big grin Kind of like running up a hill that never stops going up? Have you ever had that dream?
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Kind of like running up a hill that never stops going up? Have you ever had that dream?
                              I live at the bottom of that hill now. Well, it's actually about a half-mile long. It only feels like it goes on forever since it's the first thing I see every morning when I run...

Wow, jeffgoblue, you're pretty brave mocking visors while wearing that odd contraption on your head. Is it on loan from the French Foreign Legion?