Some unwanted down time. Ease my mind. (Read 796 times)

I have a spot of degenerative arthritis that has decided to flair and it's causing me a bit of down time. I have a 5k scheduled for 12/15 but the Myrtle Beach Marathon on 02/16 is my big goal. You may remember, I went to Louisville on 10/21 feeling like I was trained for a 3:20 but ran a dumb race and finished in 3:35. 2 weeks later, my 13.1 at Marshall University in 1:35 verified my level of fitness somewhat and pleased me. 2 weeks after that was Philly. I ran as a rabbit and posted a report. The day after Philly I rested, then ran 4 miles Tue. Wed was when the pain started and I haven't ran for 4 days now. As long as I'm able to restart next week sometime, I still have 10 good weeks to train before a 2 week taper. My goal is the same as for Louisville, 3:20-3:25 and I honestly feel like I was there. So ..... I really just need to maintain and sharpen a little so I'm in hopes this down time won't hurt my chances of a good race. Ease my mind gang. Tell me it'll be O.K.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Well, if you need to hear it, here it is - It'll be OK. Smile Seriously, it sounds like you've answered your own questions. You know what the issue is, you have a plan, you have time on your side, and most of all... you aren't doing what many of us (especially me) would do, which is "run through it" and really turn a flare-up into an injury. You're definitely on the path to a speedy recovery. Can't wait to read your Myrtle Beach report! Jeff

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Well, if you need to hear it, here it is - It'll be OK. Smile Jeff
        Thank you. My doctor told me not to "baby" this issue but when I'm totally not capable of running, there's no sense in trying. When the discomfort is minimal (ie: swelling down), I can often start running easy and feel better the farther I go. I'm not at that point yet today, but maybe tomorrow.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

After 8 days of constant pain and discomfort, I went to the doctor. The xray showed the arthritis hasn't spread much, if any, since '99. I got back on the anti-inflammatory and yesterday and today are showing improvement. If I get up feeling good tomorrow (Sat), I'll try an easy run.

Me and my RP

I checked out your log and it looks like you're getting some miles in. How're you feeling?
              After 8 days of constant pain and discomfort, I went to the doctor. The xray showed the arthritis hasn't spread much, if any, since '99. I got back on the anti-inflammatory and yesterday and today are showing improvement. If I get up feeling good tomorrow (Sat), I'll try an easy run.
              That's great news! How are you feeling today?
              2009: BQ?
                I checked out your log and it looks like you're getting some miles in. How're you feeling?
                I'm feeling real good right now. A check of my log will show 12 yesterday and another 9 today. I lost some fitness in my 10 days of downtime as my HR/pace aren't like they were a month ago. I'll bounce back in time for a good showing at the Bi-Lo. I'm still seeking that 3:20 marathon.

I'm feeling real good right now. A check of my log will show 12 yesterday and another 9 today. I lost some fitness in my 10 days of downtime as my HR/pace aren't like they were a month ago. I'll bounce back in time for a good showing at the Bi-Lo. I'm still seeking that 3:20 marathon.
                  Good to hear Smile Give it some time, and your HR and pace will be back to where they were.
                  2009: BQ?
                    Good to hear Smile Give it some time, and your HR and pace will be back to where they were.
                    Thu evening (12/13) I did 5 miles, 7:33 pace, but my HR was real high. It always is on runs after a work day so I don't put much weight into it. I rested Friday, as usual, and want to go long (20+) on Saturday. After all, the Myrtle Beach Bi-Lo is a scant 9 weeks away. I want that 3:20 in the worst way.