Talk me out of buying a Garmin Forerunner 205 (Read 1617 times)

va

Hi Mikey, Before you spend the $185 dollars, remember you can get a the Nike + iPod sport kit for for $30.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hi Mikey, Before you spend the $185 dollars, remember you can get a the Nike + iPod sport kit for for $30.
      Not a GPS device. Wink
        so, did I read right? are races/courses often times longer? because I was thinking my garmin was really off! But then it couldn't really be since my races totally jive with my training... yeah, I would hold out for the 305...wasn't it on sale just recently for a little over $200? I have the 301 and love it! I almost want to buy another for such a time as this one dies on me. I really like the strap and display of the 301 vs the 305. I have tiny wrists and can't get a good fit with the 305.

Jennifer mm#1231

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

so, did I read right? are races/courses often times longer? because I was thinking my garmin was really off! But then it couldn't really be since my races totally jive with my training...
          Correct. Making a new thread now...
            Help me.
            Well, I wouldn't talk you out of it, but I think there's a case to be made for running au naturel ... and no I don't mean nude.... I know you all were thinking it. Big grin Although I know some people who feel naked when they don't wear their watches. While I confess I wouldn't mind having one for workouts and whatnot....Isn't it nice to do some of your runs with the freedom of not having a watch or worrying about pace, heart rate, etc.? I purposely leave my watch at home when I do a nice relaxing long run through the woods or exploring new trails, etc.... Sometimes, I just don't want to look at my pace and worry that I'm going too slow, so I can enjoy my surroundings.... But then you could always leave your Garmin at home just as easily as a watch.... Surprised That was my best attempt to talk you out of it, and I don't think it was very good. In fact, I'm probably going to end up with one someday in any case, just because I like maps a lot. Go for it.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Isn't it nice to do some of your runs with the freedom of not having a watch or worrying about pace, heart rate, etc.? ... But then you could always leave your Garmin at home just as easily as a watch....
              'nuff said. Wink
                Well, I wouldn't talk you out of it, but I think there's a case to be made for running au naturel ... and no I don't mean nude.... I know you all were thinking it. Big grin Although I know some people who feel naked when they don't wear their watches. While I confess I wouldn't mind having one for workouts and whatnot....Isn't it nice to do some of your runs with the freedom of not having a watch or worrying about pace, heart rate, etc.? I purposely leave my watch at home when I do a nice relaxing long run through the woods or exploring new trails, etc.... Sometimes, I just don't want to look at my pace and worry that I'm going too slow, so I can enjoy my surroundings.... But then you could always leave your Garmin at home just as easily as a watch.... Surprised That was my best attempt to talk you out of it, and I don't think it was very good. In fact, I'm probably going to end up with one someday in any case, just because I like maps a lot. Go for it.
                This is exactly my dilema. I've been running au natural for my whole life. I like it. I like being able to feel kung fu not to have to think kung fu. And I often lament that so many new runners get so into the gadgets they never learn how to "feel" the run. When I started running formally I was 14 years old. I didn't even own a watch for running until I was in my mid 20's. I know how to pace myself in races and I know how to monitor my effort level. That's not it at all. That's why I don't even want the HRM. What I want it for is really two things: 1.) to be able to make up a new route ad hoc and then produce a map of it later...if I liked it, and 2.) to do workouts on the roads and actually know how far I've gone and/or how fast during the workout portion of the run. I do a lot of my workouts on the roads by time. It would be nice to be able to--in the middle of a 15 mile run on any given stretch of road--do 5 x 2 miles with 1/4 mile recoveries, for example, and not be guessing what 2 miles is. I'm pretty much settled on the 205 at this point.

Runners run

By the way the $185 is before the $50 rebate. It's $135 net.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A compelling argument for the 205. That said, your perceived effort will change as you get older. But I am a data geek and so I am biased towards more data... Hard to beat that price!
                    derek

Why? What's it got that the 205 doesn't have? I don't want a HRM.
                      The main difference is the HRM, but the 305 will also support the upcoming footpod so you can use it indoors or on a treadmill. I bought the 305 and I only used the HRM once, but I like having it so if I ever want to do HRM tarining, it's available. The 205 doesn't support the HRM even as a future add-on

Derek

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I just bought the 205!

Runners run

Buy a 305. It's worth the extra money. I've used mine 3 times now and having the HR feeback is really helping.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A fool and his money are soon parted... Wink

Why is it sideways?

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I just bought the 205!
                              Traitor! Corrupted! Another purist now lost! Let us know how it turns out...
                                Traitor! Corrupted! Another purist now lost!
                                I deserve that, especially after I heckled Scout7 for running with a HRM. I feel like such a sellout... I can't wait 'til it gets here!

Runners run