Virtual Race (Read 98 times)

Dream Maker

would you or have you run a virtual race?

Would you keep the medal?

I was signed up for the Cowtown Marathon that cancelled.  I was able thankfully to drive down and run the Army Marathon the next day despite the extreme last second cancellation.

They put on the marathon and ultra as a virtual run and sent shirts and medals and a race number.

I've had a marathon or ultra each weekend since but sometime I won't or I can do a weekday to go out and run a virtual race.

I never would sign up for one and I certainly won't count it towards anything, but considering it because it is a cool medal and it could be fun and as good an excuse as any for a really long run.

So, what are your thoughts on virtual runs?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've done a virtual run. I signed up to support the organizer who was a friend of mine. I chose to run a distance that I hadn't raced before (10 mile) so it doesn't interfere with my PRs.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

Don't sweat it, nobody's judging. It's all 'bout the bling as explained in this  WSJ Article.

"...Nearly every time...takes a walk—typically of 10-kilometer or half-marathon length—she adds another medal to her collection, purchased via virtual race sites. “I’ve earned 35 medals so far this year,” ...said in March..."

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I have done a few for charities.  Good idea and they were for friends and good causes.  Tehy let us pick our own distance and just had to report it back.  Used them as training runs.  The medals were cute, but I still would have done it for the cuase.  One cause we gave the medals to the kids we ran for.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189