Suggestion for a sub 2hr hm (Read 781 times)

Hi all. I have a hm target date of May 3rd and could use any advice to get my times below 2hrs. Some info about me training wise I built my base from around June 07 until Dec 07 before starting any speedwork. I do intervals 1/week either 6x600 or 3x1600. Tempo 1-2/week mixing between 2-3 miles tempo pace, 10 mile run with 6 miles 10k+ pace, or longer run with a 2 mile stronger finish. I have ran in training a 2:17 hm but had plenty of gas left. I can run a 6'30" mile(maybe a bit faster) am trying to stretch out my stamina for the longer runs. 16.5 miles is my long run currently(i like running distance but might stick here for awhile). So is what I'm doing good enough? I seem to have the lungsbut I'm thinking I could use more leg strength and possibly hill repeats next month? Anyways thanks for any input and feel free to check out my log. The months before my log started where at maf levels 10% increases at the most per week. Thanks, Mark
      I bet you could break 2:00 in a race situation right now, with a good taper. You do quite a bit of running.
        I bet you could break 2:00 in a race situation right now, with a good taper. You do quite a bit of running.
        I agree - you are already there. Sign up for one sooner and find out. Then run the one in May even faster.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Lazy idiot

Mark, This was my goal for my first HM in October, so I know what you're shooting for. The interval sessions I had (when I did them) were 8x400 at 6:00/mile pace, but I'm not sure they were really necessary on my amount of mileage. I think your easy runs are at about the right pace (based on my limited experience). A 2-hour marathon is a 9:09 pace, so you really don't need 6:30 speed. I tried to do the first half at goal pace and see how I felt at about six miles and go from there. I felt great, so I kept it up and pushed a little, finishing in 1:54. Based on a quick look at your log, you're running more mileage than I did. I think you can make your goal, just fine. You have over three months to prepare (which was the length of my entire training program), so there is plenty of time. I have no experience with MAF, or any of that stuff. I just ran. Some days faster, most days slower. Best of luck, and let us know how things progress. Drew

Tick tock

Maniac

I bet you could run 1:50-1:55 right now. I ran a 1:59:48 (everybody like how I keep working this into every post?) last Sunday and you run a LOT more than I do. Also, it looks like (it's pretty obvious actually) that you are a lot faster than I am. I also didn't do any real speedwork (look at my log). You're going to do great. Just don't injure yourself between now and then, and as another poster mentioned, do a pretty good taper.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Maniac

One other suggestion (and others might not agree...likely won't)....If you're "goal race" is the half marathon, you might consider shortening some of those long runs to make sure you don't fatigue yourself. Focus on running them stronger rather than longer. You don't really need to run 16+ miles for a long run to train for a half marathon....Know what I mean. Just my opinion, though...I have nothing other than personal experience to back it up.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Dave

As others have said, you can probably do it now. I think that one key is trusting your ability, hitting your target pace (but controlled so that you're not going out faster than your target), and holding it for a longer duration. You might want to think about adding some longer tempo efforts at your target pace or just a bit faster (9:00 perhaps). Maybe something like: 1 mile warmup 6 miles @ 9 1 mile cooldown If you can hold that pace for 6 in training, it should give you some confidence to hold it on race day. I experienced a bit of this with my last 10 miler. I didn't trust myself initially for an 8 minute pace and by the time I got into miles 2 and 3, I was too far behind to get my total run time under 1:20. I was absolutely winded by the end but I had enough to hold the 8 minute pace and a bit faster all the way to the end.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hawt and sexy

Why all the speedwork now if the peak race is in May? Are we skipping the base phase or is there another race soon to peak for? Look up interval and what it is used for, then you will understand what i am saying here. I ran 1:46Tight lippedx in 80 degrees temps. I did this while only 4 weeks into my peak phase in prep for a marathon. I would drop all speedwork right now and start peaking 8 weeks out from my race. Then you could probably get a huge PR. If you keep the speedwork all the way through though, I would hazard a guess that you would PR but the overall gain would be smaller.

I'm touching your pants.

Why all the speedwork now if the peak race is in May? Are we skipping the base phase or is there another race soon to peak for? Look up interval and what it is used for, then you will understand what i am saying here. I ran 1:46Tight lippedx in 80 degrees temps. I did this while only 4 weeks into my peak phase in prep for a marathon. I would drop all speedwork right now and start peaking 8 weeks out from my race. Then you could probably get a huge PR. If you keep the speedwork all the way through though, I would hazard a guess that you would PR but the overall gain would be smaller.
                    Well my thinking was kinda of a build the base then sharpen it type thinking and then rinse repeat. I got to where I could handle then long runs easily at a conversational pace (11-10mm) but when i was goofing around one day running a little faster i didn't fell great running for long at speeds much faster than that and figured i need to start sticking in some faster stuff to get my body use to it. I am definitely noticing gains now at the faster speeds and still feel great on slower long runs(in fact they are gettign quicker at same hr). Posted because I was really unsure if I should continue with the speedwork or more or less. I really don't understand the school of thought that you "peak" to early if you start speedwork but I don't understand women yet somehow have remained happily marriedSmile Maybe I can finish some speedwork this month go back to easy running in Feb. Then back to speedwork in march 2 months before race. I know everbody is different though and I should listen to my body mainly in the long run. I still have my secret weapon up my sleeve for speed though I am a fat a$$ and have a good 40ish lbs to lose stillSmile I know those equal speed. Thanks for the responses, Mark
                      1. Keep your long runs up, just like you are doing; 13-16 is a good range. It’s a big plus that you like doing them—they are key. 2. Keep the 1600’s, but ditch the 600’s. You could alternate between those, 1000’s and 1200’s from workout to workout, or if you don’t get bored with the 1600’s, just keep doing them. Run them between 10k and HM pace (what you think you could race them in now, not goal pace) and take a short recovery jog between each (90-120 sec). Not everyone will agree with this, btw, but it has worked for me. Many people think you have to hammer away at 5k goal pace and faster. I don’t agree—especially if your focus is HM. Week to week consistency and not getting hurt will keep you on an improving trend for a long time. 3. Keep doing the tempos. 4. Runs some shorter races. 8k-10k would be the perfect range, imo, but even 5k’s can help. Races make you tougher and also race your aerobic threshold. One or two a month would help. Skip one of your key workouts, such as tempo or intervals on weeks that you race, but don’t taper mileage for prep races. So those are the keys…long runs, tempos, and long intervals. Keep your pace nice and easy on all other days. Don’t get hurt! If you can keep your mileage in the range you’ve been in these past few weeks, and hold it there for a while, you are going to improve a lot in the months to come. Weight is an issue for you too, and by continuing like you have been you are just bound to start taking off the lbs. Keep up the good work. You are on the right track.
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                        another agreement from me that you'll get under 2hrs. you are a bit faster than me over the mile (i've only managed 6.41) and your long runs are longer than mine were when i was HM training (13-14 miles). yet i managed 1hr50 on a day that had gale force winds and a hailstorm. anyway - i'm aiming to go under 1hr45 on may 4th - so maybe see you on the virtual racing group?? Big grin
                          Another vote for longer tempo runs. I used a plan below which calls for longer tempo runs and doing a fast finish every other week on the long runs. Worked well for me. Doing the longer tempo runs really helped my confidence that I could sustain a faster pace longer than I had imagined I could. Good luck- I predict that you will be on your second post-race bagel when the timer hits 2 hours! http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-12006-0,00.html

SMART Approach

Also agree with eliminating fast short intervals right now or in the quantity you ar doing them. Cut them to 3-4 X 200M after your tempo. Also, 6 miles at 10K pace is a race. If you are doing this weekly or twice weekly, it is too much. 30 min at 10K pace or a bit slower is the most I would recommend for a fast tempo. 6 miles at 30-40 sec slower than 10K pace would have excellent conditioning effect and not as hard on body. You will reach your goal. Train smart.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com