Runner's Knee vs. Shoe Heel Drop (Read 245 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Does anyone have an opinion/thoughts if shoe heel drop matters for PFPS?

rmcj001

More then likely depends more on how you land AND the shoe type.  The more you forefoot strike, the less likely the shoe matters...

Ray

Still kicking

I'm a forefoot striker and have been running pain free for three years in 4-6mm drop shoes. I went through 2 pairs of Altra zero drop shoes. My shins, an old SF ache, and my left knee cried UNCLE, and I gave up on zero drop. Back to my 4-6mm drop shoes and all is pain free again. I weight train and cycle like an animal, so theres not an imbalance or strength issue. The zero drop simply does't work with my mechanics.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

I think that a shoe with an overly cushioned heel makes it I easier to overstride, which can contribute to runners knee among other things. But as always individual results will vary.

Runners run

Chantilly75

I don't really believe in runners' knee. The knee joint  hurts because the ligaments/muscles around the knee are weak And are letting the joint do all the work.

This kind of pain can be cleared up with doing strength exercises for the knee, like leg extensions, squats, hamstring curls.

Just my opinion.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

pedaling fool

I can't speak to shoe design, since I don't really pay attention to my shoes; I just buy the cheapest ones and I sometimes run barefoot.

However, I have basically a permanent case of Runner's Knee in my right knee due to an injury I sustained as a young kid -- I nearly ripped off my knee cap, from the bottom and I believe there is major damage to my patellar tendon. However, I've never been to the doctor to get it looked at, but you can see the scar from the injury and some puffiness in that area when it really hurts.

I also cycle a lot and lift weights and I've found that exercises that focus on my hamstrings helps a lot, especially deep squats.

Funny thing happened at the gym today. For the past few days I've been running hills and it irritated my right knee, but I ran so much up and down that I started feeling a Runner's knee effect on my good knee, so obviously I'm taking a couple days off. While at the gym I promised my legs I wouldn't make them do the slightest amount of work, total upperbody workout. However, as I was leaving the gym I passed a machine that works the hamstrings in such a way that it completely isolates the hamstrings so the quads do nothing at all.

A voice in my head said you must do that exercise and I did; not heavy weights, just light/moderate weight, but a fairly high number of sets and reps. After I was done (I emphasize: I already did a workout and was nearly out the door) my legs felt like they had renewed springiness in them and much of the pain was gone.

It was weird how that voice in my head (seemingly separate from me) just stopped me and said: Do This....

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think that some shoes, in particular, heavy, stiff, or "motion control" shoes can contribute to runner's knee. It's a combination of factors; you need to find the combination that works for you.

Half Fanatic #846

Or, you could wait till well past middle age to start running like I did, in which case your knees would be "fresh"...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

keeponrunning

I think that some shoes, in particular, heavy, stiff, or "motion control" shoes can contribute to runner's knee. It's a combination of factors; you need to find the combination that works for you.

+1 to this.  I used to run in highly cushioned shoes because that's what I thought you were "supposed" to wear running.  Then I started dealing with runner's knee (along with some other knee issues).  I did some physio and switched to 4mm drop shoes (Kinvaras in my case) and while they still don't like the cold or being twisted in hockey I have significantly less pain than I did. (running 30mi/week rather than limping up stairs)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022