Sitting through a USATF class (Read 627 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Right now I'm on a five minute break in my USATF Level 1 class. So far I have learned: The heart serves as a pump, pumping blood throughout the body. The lungs take in air and extract oxygen from it. The blood is a liquid. Doping is unethical, but will increase performance. Milo, from Greek mythology, lifted an ox everyday and got stronger as the calf grew up. Newton's first law isn'tt about forefoot running, but rather that an object will retain its state of motion until acted upon. Who knew!? Self image is the way you feel about yourself -- it's a product of most of your life interactions. The guy speaking wrote a forward to a sports book, but can't recall the book's title. Soon we will learn that verbal communication uses the spoken word. Hopefully tomorrow will be more interesting. I get to learn about the hammer throw and jumping events.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

jpdeaux

The hammer throw involves throwing an object called a hammer.

In jumping events, athletes are asked to jump as far as they can.

Somebody wins.

You're done. Take tomorrow off.

ultramarathon/triathlete

The hammer throw involves throwing an object called a hammer.

In jumping events, athletes are asked to jump as far as they can.

Somebody wins.

You're done. Take tomorrow off.

ex., does that mean I now owe you $100? Hahaha

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

jpdeaux

Cash only, please.

I like the Milo tale.

Soon we will learn that verbal communication uses the spoken word.

Technically, it involves the use of words, whether spoken or written.  So they're right, but only partially.

$100, please.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe in level two you will learn that the blood has several constituent components - maybe even many? (I haven't taken level two).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

You assume some people don't need to start at this level. Based on recent experiences with some in the running community, I think you assume too much. Be happy that you are already advanced and don't need it, pretend to take diligent notes on your iPad while playing Angry Birds while the minions catch up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ultramarathon/triathlete

You assume some people don't need to start at this level. Based on recent experiences with some in the running community, I think you assume too much. Be happy that you are already advanced and don't need it, pretend to take diligent notes on your iPad while playing Angry Birds while the minions catch up.

Spaniel, it's like you're sitting right behind me :-) Angry Birds it is hahaha

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team