Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

Just thought I would update you on my race as although I didn't get under 90 (as I expected I would not) I did do much better than I could have hoped given my lack of training. During my trial 5 mile run on Thursday I had some calf/shin issues in my non-injured leg (go figure) but my IT band held up OK. I decided I would do a one mile trial the next day wearing heel lifts (which I did) and shin/calf felt a lot better. So, I decided no run on Saturday, do the race on Sunday and hope my knee/IT would hold out. I haven't managed to run 13 miles since I did my IT band in on February 1st.

My plan was to be cautious and start at 7:30 pace and hope that I could tough it out to the end. That WAS the plan but as soon as the gun went off it was forgotten. I had spoken to one of my MV60 rivals before the race and told him I would not be hunting him down today. Lo and behold he soon disappeared from view at the start but I kept a fairly constant pace (below my intended) without it feeling too uncomfortable but nevertheless expecting my lack of mileage to start letting me down at any moment. By mile 10 I started to catch glimpses of him up ahead and (exactly) at the 12 mile marker I caught him. By this time I was blowing pretty hard but I kept the pressure on and despite never really getting away I crossed the line 10 seconds ahead to take the MV60 win in 1:31:27. I have little doubt that my time would have been much slower if I had not had that friendly rivalry to spur me on.

Also goes to show there is more to racing than beating an arbitrary time - BUT I STILL WANT TO BEAT THAT 90!!

Friskney Half Marathon MV60 Winner 2012

I liked that story.  Super-encouraging development in your running, no doubt.  Hope those niggles clear up.  Congrats on your MV60 win.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Chris UK

Thanks NaderAlfie.

Turbolegs - thanks and also well done on achieving your sub-4 marathon this year.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Geez man, you ran pretty darned well for a guy who was just "living on hope". Nice run!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Next go for me - Rotorua Half, 28th April.  Still not quite ready I don't think but may be getting closer. 

Turbolegs

Thanks NaderAlfie.

Turbolegs - thanks and also well done on achieving your sub-4 marathon this year.

Thanks for the wishes ... happy running !

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

SMART Approach

Throw me on the list for the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon (HALF) on May 20th.  My training is going ok. I am not optimistic but on a great day you never know.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Lazy idiot

Had a great tune up race yesterday.  10 miler in 1:08:56.  On a flatter course (which I'll get for my attempt in three weeks), I have little doubt that I would have been able to hold the pace for another 3.1 miles to cut it close.

I feel increasingly good about my chances after yesterday.

Tick tock

Had a great tune up race yesterday.  10 miler in 1:08:56.  On a flatter course (which I'll get for my attempt in three weeks), I have little doubt that I would have been able to hold the pace for another 3.1 miles to cut it close.

I feel increasingly good about my chances after yesterday.

Nice work, Drew. Starting to pour it on at the right time. Keep rollin'...

My instinct is -- and I feel strongly about this -- that the heart rate monitor is really fouling up your training. 

Honest question: If you got rid of it, could you still train?  I think this is a perfect time in your training to kiss that thing goodbye.  Your fitness is good (6:34 x 4 didn't feel crazy) and your HM time (1:44) is way off your fitness level.  Even if you "lost" some short term success as you adjusted to HRM-free training, you would still improve your race times in the long-term, I think.

What do you think, though? 

Training gone well for the past few weeks so spirits on the up again... Gonna focus on getting some steady mileage before tackling a HM again. Also gonna run some 10km races in the next few months and maybe target a HM in the summer

Still wearing the HRM in training but not looking at it while I'm running - running by feel at the moment and just analyse the info at the end. Happy with my last 2 weeks training. 90mins is still my goal but aiming for sub 40 mins 10km in the short term !

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

90mins is still my goal but aiming for sub 40 mins 10km in the short term !

40 mins for 10km is probably harder than 90 for the HM!

If you can do a 40 min 10k you can probably do about 1:28 for the HM.

40 mins for 10km is probably harder than 90 for the HM!

If you can do a 40 min 10k you can probably do about 1:28 for the HM.

I was always more of a shorter distance runner (800m - 1,500m as a young fella...). the HM is a real challenge for me because I just don't have the mileage built up in my legs. There is speed in my legs and therefore I think my fitness levels will get me as far as a 10km but a HM is tough for me. It's a lomnger term aim but first want to get sub 40 mins for the 10km - that will tell me where I am

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

MandyS, Rotorua Half, NZ, 4/28

Good luck tomorrow MANDY!!!

I am (mostly) back from my stress-fractured fibula.

Put me down for a sub-90 attempt on October 7th at the Music City Half-Marathon. 

--

Nashville, TN

jaxn, you got it.

Mandy, how'd it go?

And...good luck this weekend Drew. Rock it.

Well, tried jogging for the first time in 2 weeks since I strained my calf muscle: didn't even make it 100 metres before the pulling started. It's looking more and more like I won't be making it to the start line at the May 6 BMO Vancouver Half Marathon this time around. 

I know I'm in better shape than I was 6 months ago, but if I can take any consolation from having to pass, I think I would've missed my sub-90 goal this time around....my training was feeling 1:40ish. OK, that really does nothing to console me. HATE giving up before starting! HATE giving up after starting. HATE giving up. Period.

SO frustrated!