Stinky clothes (Read 359 times)

spinach

There is an advantage to smelly clothes.  If they really smell bad and if you start fast in a race, the competition behind you have an incentive not to catch up to you.  Something to think about.

There is an advantage to smelly clothes.  If they really smell bad and if you start fast in a race, the competition behind you have an incentive not to catch up to you.  Something to think about.

Isn't that just an incentive to catch and pass you?

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Isn't that just an incentive to catch and pass you?

Yeah, no one wants to be downwind of the rank runner!

Best thing I have found for stank and yellowing pits on really old white tech tops is old school Borax.  It even helps somewhat for the awful yellow staining from sunblocks, but still I mostly avoid tops with white anywhere near the neck or arms area, since there's no way to totally remedy those stains.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JanaLamb

The vinegar and baking soda worked for me, although my clothes don't really stink that bad.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Menace to Sobriety

I had a friend suggest presoaking in 10% Scope mouthwash and water. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but sounds reasonable.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

my quick dry stuff doesn't smell at all, could just be me though. I wonder if that Borax shit will work for the yellow stains in the front of my undies.

I get permastink in running clothes and bath towels occasionally. I get it out by filling the washer with 2c. vinegar and NO detergent, and using the hot cycle. Put stinky stuff in after the washer fills up. Then dry normally.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Fabuloso

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

The future differentiates into space time events.

ymmv

I discovered, while on vacation by the ocean, that sea water killed the stink in my running clothes.

Aside from the sports laundry detergent, I recommend buying some LuLu Lemon shorts, shirts, and socks.  Yes, they are expensive, but buy a couple over time.  I've never had my LuLu stuff stink so the stink-free technology works as advertised.

I read a bunch of reviews and bought HEX detergent. I've only used it once so far, but it worked great. Even old stuff that "reactivates" the stink after the first sign of sweat came out much better. I won't use it every time, but once every couple months I'll load all my running stuff and wash them with it. Just regular washing between then.

As for clothes, I wear just the regular poly/nylon activewear shorts, shirts, hats and underwear. Some claim to be "antimicrobial" and actually do seem to not get as smelly. Other generic stuff grabs and holds on to stink, even after washing. Wool is great, but I run in warmer climate so it's not too practical as a shirt or shorts year round. Cotton kills (mountaineering soundbite), so I avoid it for anything where I may sweat.

Diet; yes, a meat-rich diet will make you more pungent, but I can affirm that a vegetarian or even vegan diet has it's own distinct stink (my life accomplice is a health food professional). I think the myth about "vegans don't smell" probably originates from them not being sensitive to their own microbiome smell from being desensitized, just like omnivores don't think THEY smell as much as they do, same with smokers. The smell of omnivores is more rancid, the smell of vegans is more sour. Rancid is more unpleasant. There are no human carnivores, except maybe some remaining natives living in the far North on iceflows that eat only seals, fish and whales.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

BeeRunB

I'll be honest and admit that my clothes stink.  I run a lot, I sweat a lot (yes, even in the Minnesota winters) and my running clothes stink.   I still haven't found the best way to help eliminate odors.  What tips do you have to help manage the stink in your running clothes?  Any tips would be appreciated.

A dab of bleach along with regular detergent keeps them fresh. Mine have never smelled after washing using this ancient method.

KCRuns

Every other wash cycle I alternate between baking soda/vinegar and Lysol Laundry Sanitizer.  Whether you're using Lysol or Vinegar, put it in the downey ball (3/4 full) so it opens during the rinse cycle.  Seems to do the trick.

Joann Y

I must not be running enough. My running cloths only smell right after I wear them. I let them dry out before putting them in the laundry basket, never wear those stupid technical fabric shirts that are like wearing plastic bags, and never use fabric softener. No problems. Maybe it's my delicate feminine nature. I am pretty much like a flower.