Nantucket Rock Run Report (Read 1215 times)

Thanks for the info Shaunna, I am definitly interested for next year. As time gets closer I will let you know.. I don't know enough.. or any runners.. to put my own team together so that would be wonderful!
      Loved the RR. Sounds like an absolute blast (at least, once you're done Big grin). What will you different next time (ie, lessons learned)?
      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
        Thanks Pron8r! hmmm, next time..... I think I will try training barefoot, or with duct tape. I will definitely do a lot more of my runs on the soft sand instead of the hardpack. I don't know how to train for the slope of the beach really since our beach doesn't have much of a slope, but at least if I train to run more of it on the flat soft sand, I will be better prepared and won't have to take so many walk breaks. As far as running out of water, I'm not sure how to fix that other than take along a disposable water bottle and drink from that first then leave it behind somewhere. I hate to leave garbage out there though, and it really is No-Man's land, so there really isn't a place to arrange to drop off or pick up a bottle from someone. I will have to think about that more if I end up doing that leg again.
          Maybe a camelbak for the water situation - high capacity and no trash.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow! That sounds like an awesome race. Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Yeah, that's probably the best solution. I already used my Fuelbelt with 4 8 oz bottles. That was fine for 12 miles in training, but this took longer and there was a headwind so everytime I opened my mouth to breathe it got really dry. A larger (like 64 oz) Camelback may be the way to go instead of the FuelBelt and something else.
                Maybe this footwear for sand running Yes www.vibramfivefingers.com
                  Wow, those are interesting. It looks like the sprint ones wound work well, but I wonder about sand getting in and rubbing. I may have to check them out in the spring depending on how the barefoot running is going. Thanks Sara!
                    no prob! I thought the same thing about the sand though... maybe duct tape around the top of your foot to keep it out.