Pacific Coast Trail Runs Shuts Its Doors (Read 1113 times)

xor

I might join MM - Then I will proceed to get 5 friends to help me create a race every few days to help keep SRL busy.  I think I could do an ultra every other day for a few months with my 5 buddies ...

This is not a new idea.  And it won't cause me extra work... I just won't list stuff like this. :-D

The whole flavor/vibe/whatever of the club has changed over the years.  This kind of "hey, let's put on our own show!" attitude has become a lot more prevalent, coupled with the more-must-be-better idea that is endemic to US society.  So, why put in one fat ass over the holidays when we can run loops in the park for 4 days in a row and call it a quadzilla, etc.

AnneCA

Once marathon ideas start showing up on Pinterest, then you'll really be in trouble.

(yes, was my e-mail)

xor

Help! Officer!  They are looting the Food King!

(I have no idea how that applies here.  I was just trying to have a dramatic reaction.)

((it's just running))

HermosaBoy

Help! Officer!  They are looting the Food King!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I have ran many of Sarah and Wendel's races over the years.  It is very sad what has happened to PCTR but there are many things changing in the running community overall.

UItra-Running used to be laid back - actually signed up for a 50miler the morning of , there were <25 of us and the RD simply drew a line on the ground saying, "This is the start and finish, the course is ~50 miles but may be a bit longer.  I assume everyone knows the course but, if not, just ask someone. We start server burgers here at 3pm.  3...2...1...Go!".  We all stood around for the next ~min talking then starting running. Those were fun and simple days.

Now, you must sign up months in advance, go through a lottery in some cases, RD's must pay more for permits and insurance, the cost of races increasing each year....things have changed.

Kalsarikännit

PCTR had an odd situation (that I see more of in the future).  When they did get permits for many of their races it was with the condition that gu/gels were not to be distributed at aid stations.  I assume the same stipulation also applies to the other RD's in the area.  It seems the new wave of trail runners think that gu tops will be picked up by volunteers as part of their race registration fees.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

PCTR had an odd situation (that I see more of in the future).  When they did get permits for many of their races it was with the condition that gu/gels were not to be distributed at aid stations.  I assume the same stipulation also applies to the other RD's in the area.  It seems the new wave of trail runners think that gu tops will be picked up by volunteers as part of their race registration fees.

Mountain Mist was really bad this year. Gel packs all over the place. I wouldn't be surprised if that trend continues. And yeah, I picked up a couple but there were just too many.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016