5k here too! (Read 959 times)

Finished!

well, the thick brown cloud ( Dead) appears to be moving off Big grin So I went for my run today, targeting 5k distance Smile And I made it! Yes I'm so pleased. I've got just a little less than a month before my first race - I seem to be settling into about an 11:40 pace these days, so I'm still hoping to trim some time off to finish the race in 35:00 or less. But we'll see - I'm not doing any speed training yet because well...everything I've read basically says lay off the speed training until I've been running for a while...
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, that's awesome!!! I think you will have no problem doing that race well under 35 minutes--you're already well on your way and a race will probably make you run faster than you thought possible. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Awesome! I am super confident bordering on absolutely sure that you will get under 35:00 for the 5k if you're running at that pace, especially if your training runs have even the slightest hint of hills.

You'll ruin your knees!

well, the thick brown cloud - excuse me Blush everything I've read basically says lay off the speed training until I've been running for a while... - so, which will you be laying off, 400's or 800's? Evil grin
          On a more serious note...Waaaahooooo! Way to go! You'll get there on the speed, just take what your body gives you! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Finished!

Awesome! I am super confident bordering on absolutely sure that you will get under 35:00 for the 5k if you're running at that pace, especially if your training runs have even the slightest hint of hills.
            LOL - well that's good to hear....my training route definitely has a hill - the grade isn't terrible, but it's certainly enough to make me work harder!
            Walk + Jog = wog.

Finished!

thanks everyone, for the votes of confidence Big grin I figure I'll keep working on adding a smidge of mileage as I train - since I'm still "new" I know as I continue to condition, the speed should continue to get better (esp as the excess poundage melts off Wink )
              Walk + Jog = wog.
                That's very good to hear that! I haven't ran a race yet, but everybody keeps telling me that during a race, you'll run faster than during your training runs, so I think you can be very confident that you'll make it within 35 min.

Running in Belgium
                Ann

Wingz

Professional Noob

Go get 'em!!! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Well done! And AnnVR is absolutely correct--your race will be faster than your training runs. You'll be ready, you'll be nervous, you'll be excited, all of which, combined with a little race-day magic, will result in a fast race for you. All you'll need to worry about is smiling for the race photo Cool (you should probably practice during some of your training runs).
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Finished!

All you'll need to worry about is smiling for the race photo Cool (you should probably practice during some of your training runs).
                      LOL - and here i thought I was being silly trying to remind myself to not breath out through my mouth while making it into an o shape...
                      Walk + Jog = wog.

gimme some sugar, baby

All you'll need to worry about is smiling for the race photo Cool (you should probably practice during some of your training runs).
                        I recommend doing the hang-ten sign or leaping high into the air right before the picture is taken. You should scout out the course beforehand and make sure you know where the camera will be... It's all about looking pretty for the camera...
                        George: Runner/Law Student
                        www.gimme-five.com
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, the GR marathon had a TON of cameras...I ran the half and I think there are still at least 6 unposed shots taken of me along the course. And pretty much all of them have me looking really lame-o. The ones where I facially look like I'm not constipated also make me look like I'm just taking a leisurely stroll... Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay