Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

Npaden that was an exciting finish, a whole group of you covered by maybe a second! I love racing against other runners but it usually only happens in a big race where there are several people at about the same level. Congrats on setting a new time for that course, especially on a windy day.

Edith sometimes its nice to just do what you feel like without any structure or plan.

Tim, it takes real dedication to keep at it for all those months- I can follow a schedule for six months, but after that I need some down time.

Miele I have thought of running a marathon, and have intended to do that in the fall each year for the last 3 or 4 years. I have never felt properly trained, though, so this is still on the "someday" list at this point. The closest I have got is pacing my son in for the last 25 miles of a trail ultra this last May. An amazing experience to share with him.

Bluerun, good effort on the 5k, glad it all ended well! I enjoyed reading the full report, don't think I would have done that right after the dentist.

2ft your 5 mile time indicates you can break 50 minutes for 10k. Hope you get an opportunity this year.

Just a thought about local races in general and how different they can be....

Obviously the "4 mile" race npaden ran is marked by close competition and people keep track of how they compare with others in their age (and weight) group. In my area there are a couple of 5k races that are very different in nature. Both raise money for good causes and both attract mainly local runners. Of course there are some fairly serious looking runners who line up at the front, a mixture of male and female high schoolers behind them, then the mid packers and obvious tail enders- the people holding hands with very young children, leading small dogs in bandanas and sunglasses, the overweight bank manager, ladies from the bingo hall and so on.

At one of these events recently I lined up about a third of the way back behind a group of girls in matching running gear that I took to be a cross country team, but they must have been something else because they were really slow and it took a while to get past on a rather narrow path. I ran 24:36 and finished about 23rd of 300 runners. With a better run I would have been close to the top 10!

The other 5k is put on by the local running club, and draws a much smaller crowd. The last time I ran that race I manages a 22:08 and came 45th of 130 runners! The winner was just around 16 minutes, the top ten or twelve all under 18 minutes. I was soundly beaten by a man over 70 years old, and a guy who was 54 ran 16:59, which age grades to something like 97%. So a real quality field for a small event, and a bit of a shocker .

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Nathan, Congratulations!  It seems that you improved SIGNIFICANTLY in just a year.

Oh, and I wasn't familiar with the Clydesdale concept (actually I  didn't even know what masters were until just recently). . . and how wonderful!  I love the name!

Miele, Oh the Bay area! I'm soooo envious.  That's always one of the areas that comes to mind at this time of year when I'm constantly saying, "Why do I live in New England again?!?"  (Why DO I live in New England, anyway? Ugh. No, I love it, I do, I do.  Sort of.)

Simon,  I LOOOOVE your description of people at the starting line.  So true. I found, however, in my case, I am often struggling to keep up with the overweight bank manager.  Looks can be SO deceiving.  In that vein, I found in TWO of my smaller races this past fall, at the end I was struggling and failing to catch up with large, athletic looking guys my age (early 40s).  In both instances, by looking at race pictures and results, I figured out that my net or chip time was actually better than both of these guys AND that both of them had started on the very front and center of the starting line.  It really struck me because, as a slower or at least mid-pack runner, I would never dream of pushing my way to the front of the starting line, yet both of these guys ran these races more slowly than I did.  On the other hand, now that I'm improving, I need to be a little more assertive in my positioning, especially in races with narrow trails towards the start, or my next race, which is so small that it doesn't even have chips.

Current PRs:  Half-marathon: 2:04:46 (Nov. 2013) /10k: 55:01 (Oct. 2013)/ 5K: 25:40 (Dec. 2013)

Upcoming races:  5k Jan. 25, 2013

Half marathon Feb. 23, 2014

edith : Hey,  The marathon I am running (Operation Jack 2013)  is at Manhattan Beach California. It is actually the same one I did last Christmas (well dec26th).  It is really flat with just a few rises, not even hills. It is on the beachfront bikepath for 75% of the way and the 25 % is beside the harbor bay inlet thing.  So basically around water the whole time.  Great course and hope to post a great time.

Miele : I have been drinking Cytomax drink (Pomegranate / berry flavor ) for my midrun drinks on long long runs.  When I ran the 22 miler the other day I drank about 20 ounces in the first 4 miles or so (drink mixed at 1/2 strength) 32 ounces the next 10 miles mixed at 1/2 strength, and then 32 ounces the last 8 miles mixed at full strength.  I am estimating for the full mara I will probably drink a full 96 ounces or so of cytomax drink and then stop by a water station or two to grab some h2o.  This stuffs working great and I havent had to use gels or anything to keep crampys away.  Much better than my powerade that I have been using for about a year.

Bluerun : I will never complain about cold again after reading your RR's LOL  I give you big respect for showing up and running through that mess.  So crazy that you had the same exact time the year before.  Great pic with the bridge / snow / water.

Nathan : Sounds like another great race.  Sucks about being cut off though,  that picture tells the whole story lol.

Me : Ok, did the last long run on Sunday 17.2 miles.  I am now 7.5 days away from marathon raceday. This week will be super easy taper crap which is already bugging me out.  I have gained a few pounds, gone stir crazy, watched every youtube taper video to make sure I was doing it right .....   The taper blues again.  This marathon training cycle I have ran 790 miles total,   2 15 milers, 6 17.2milers, 3 20 milers, and a 22 miler. mild Hill training and speed training.  And for the last 300 miles I have switched from running on the dirt railtrail thing to the cement walkpath and sidewalks only.  The marathon I am running is all on concrete and asphalt so I wanted to be ready for that.  I have my fruitgrain bars, cytomax drink, good shoes, I am ready to tear this marathon UP!!!  I have decided on a 7:50 pace and running the first mile or two at 8:00 pace.  Somewhere around a 3:25ish.  Anything sub 3:30 would be freaking awesome.  My last time at that same course was 3:52.10 so it would be nice to drop almost a half hour off my PR time. The course is on the beach bikepath, its fast and flat with an oceanfront view.  It's called Operation Jack and benefits Autism research.  I will post some more in the next few days.  Plenty of time to sit around with the taper madness lol

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

That sounds like a  challenge you have set yourself, Wolf, but you are well trained and have plenty of speed so you should be confident of success.

I look forward to your report, as I am sure we all do.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

bluerun

Super B****

Simon -- well, sanity isn't my strong point.  Obviously.  And yes, you really do have to do the research re: how you'll place in a race, assuming that's your goal.  I seem to be good at cherry-picking ones that will get me awards even though I'm not that fast (relatively speaking).

Wolf -- hey, the going crazy is all part and parcel.  I'm sure you'll do great.  You have a good chance of coming in under 3:30.

me -- I had to run on a treadmill that wasn't the AlterG yesterday.  I haven't done that since early 2011, but the skating rink that was my neighborhood and my fragile old lady bones don't make a very good match -- I don't want to risk breaking a hip again.  Even though now my hips are sore from that treadmill.  I don't like treadmills.  Whine.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

npaden

Met my 2,000 mile goal on Tuesday while traveling in Arizona.  Got in 10.3 miles that got me to 2,000.8 miles on the year.

I'm still working on a holiday running streak so I'm afraid I'm going to go past 2,013 miles by quite a bit, but oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Still struggling to decide on goals for 2014.  I usually try to set goals that I'm fairly confident that I can reach, but all the milestone type goals seem to be a stretch for me right now.  A 3:30 marathon sounds good, but a 3:25 is a BQ, but even the 3:30 is a stretch and would be an 18 minute PR from my marathon this year.  I think a 1:40 half might be doable in 2014, maybe I should skip a marathon next year and just enjoy myself running half marathon and shorter races.

Oh well, I still have a couple weeks to decide!

Hope everyone else is doing good.  Merry Christmas!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I did run a few ultras this year (mostly for fun), but took the year off of the marathon to focus on the half.  I really feel like I have improved a lot as a runner, and if my half PRs are indicators, I'm ready to destroy my marathon PR come spring.

The change in focus was really refreshing, and I've actually ran more this year than ever, too.

And a merry Christmas to you, too.

Met my 2,000 mile goal on Tuesday while traveling in Arizona.  Got in 10.3 miles that got me to 2,000.8 miles on the year.

I'm still working on a holiday running streak so I'm afraid I'm going to go past 2,013 miles by quite a bit, but oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Still struggling to decide on goals for 2014.  I usually try to set goals that I'm fairly confident that I can reach, but all the milestone type goals seem to be a stretch for me right now.  A 3:30 marathon sounds good, but a 3:25 is a BQ, but even the 3:30 is a stretch and would be an 18 minute PR from my marathon this year.  I think a 1:40 half might be doable in 2014, maybe I should skip a marathon next year and just enjoy myself running half marathon and shorter races.

Oh well, I still have a couple weeks to decide!

Hope everyone else is doing good.  Merry Christmas!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

npaden

I did run a few ultras this year (mostly for fun), but took the year off of the marathon to focus on the half.  I really feel like I have improved a lot as a runner, and if my half PRs are indicators, I'm ready to destroy my marathon PR come spring.

The change in focus was really refreshing, and I've actually ran more this year than ever, too.

And a merry Christmas to you, too.

Thanks for the input.  I've checked your running log several times and in many ways we are similar, except you've been running about 18 months longer than I have been and you really stepped it up this year.  I'm not sure I have it in my schedule to step it up to 3,000 miles next year, I've been actually thinking about dropping back down to about 1,500 miles instead.  It's crazy that we both ran our first marathons at the Flying Pig too.

I've been thinking about 2014 goals over the last few days and think I have them figured out.  Essentially they are:  Run 1,500 miles, keep my 100+ miles per month streak going, listen to the bible over the course of the year while I'm running, get back below 200lbs and stay there.  Stretch goals are a 1:38:15 half marathon (7:30 pace), set 2 more course records on the Clydesdale division running club races, and possibly run an ultra.

I hit 100 miles for December yesterday so that streak is alive an well at 22 months now.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

miele

Godzilla

Nathan- What a nail-biter of a finish!  I don't think I've ever seen a finish that close.  Sorry you got cut off.  I really hate that.  I'm always looking over my shoulder to make sure I don't cut somebody off.  It's really not that hard to do.  So it ticks me off when people don't pay attention or don't care about cutting off other people.  I don't think I've ever seen such a narrow finish line, either.  Congratulations on a great race on a great race!  How did your son do?

hector-  You might turn into a du-athlete or a tri-athlete if you keep adding disciplines.  I decided not to get mittens after all.  It rarely gets that cold where we live so I don't think I'd get much use out of them.  Although the next time my hands are frozen blocks of ice I'll be cussing myself out for not having gotten them.

Tim-  Thinking about it, if you you do the regular taper of the marathon plan plus a week 'off' between, that should give a little respite from following back-to-back plans.  I know that, by the end of the training plan, I need a psychological break as much as a physical break from high mileage.

Simon-  I would not be comfortable running a marathon if not properly trained so I can see why you didn't run any in the last few years.  Although pacing your son for 25 miles!?!  If that's not good training I don't know what is.  I find I do better in smaller races as far as placing is concerned but that 5k you mentioned sounds ridiculous.  Those are some speedy runners!  I'll avoid that 5k.

Pandora-  Every year when I see what terrible weather (to me anyway) other people are suffering through, I wonder why people live those places. But I know I have become soft and weak when it comes to weather and I keep reminding myself that a lot of people aren't bothered by the cold like I am.  Stay warm!

Wolfy-  5 days and counting!!!  Try not to go too nuts.   I've thought about using something like cytomax or gatorade instead of gels but then I think I would have to carry two bottles which I won't do.  Gels I can stash in my gloves and chase with water.  I find that easier.  You're going to do great in your race.

blue-  So I was checking out the Garmin 220/620 thread (although now I don't need a watch since my trusty 405 lasted the entire marathon, much to my surprise) and I saw where SOMEBODY got a new 620!  How're you liking it?

me-  Sorry for being so absent lately.  Christmas/family stuff.  I've been running every other day this week.  Every run feels a little better but the first 4 mile run was difficult.  6 milers on the other days.  Next week I'll bump it up a little.  I have to say that I recovered pretty quickly from the marathon as far as soreness is concerned.  Probably due to the higher mileage but Sunday night was the worst then the soreness was almost completely gone by Tues.  That's usually the worst day for me.  Monday and Tuesday I was able to walk up and down flights of stairs without problems and that never happens after a marathon.

If I get caught up in life again and can't make it back before Christmas, Merry Christmas!!!!!  I'm too late for a Happy Hannukah.  Happy belated Hannukah!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

2ft -- well??  Did you do the 10K??

miele -- the temperature wasn't so bad (I dressed properly for once), and it wasn't really windy (HALLELUJAH!)... just the slush/ice on the ground!  I'll get there one day.  Yes, this IS the one 2ft was going to run -- I don't know if he did in the end!

I arrived early and walked round the course before the race (I knew the course as I had run it a few months back (one lap out of two, as the race was neutralized after lap one except for the very fastest due to a truck on fire on the bridge overhead) Parts of it were still icey (I slipped just walking) and the upper west side and the northern tip of the course were extremely slushy. As a result, I decided that it really wasn't worth running this full out as 1. dangerous and 2. even if I didn't fall, no chance of running fast in the slush. As it turned out, the course was slightly chaqnged to take out the northern tip (by far worse than the upper west side) but it was still not going to be a PR course for anyone.

I turned this into a progression run in three equal two mile parts (8:56 / 8:13 / 7:53) Course was short (6 miles dead) but cannot really blame the organizers due to the last minute change that they had to make.

This week was a scheduled rest week, which I sort of respected (didn't run Monday, Tuesday, Wedensday, Thursday) Did 3 miles gently on Friday and tried to go for a 10K record on the track. Held the pace for the first 4 miles, but legs really heavy and getting heavier in mile 5 so called it a day after 19 of the 25 scheduled laps. Window of PRing has closed for the moment, focus is on FM training and base building period. Program starts Monday....with a rest day! I think I can handle that! Perhaps I might be able to do something when I get into the race preparation cycle in March which includes preparation races (definitely try for 10K, and maybe HM also)

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

bluerun

Super B****

blue-  So I was checking out the Garmin 220/620 thread (although now I don't need a watch since my trusty 405 lasted the entire marathon, much to my surprise) and I saw where SOMEBODY got a new 620!  How're you liking it?

LoL!!  I actually didn't even USE it until this morning, because my planned inaugural run (last Wednesday) was scrapped in favor of the treadmill thanks to the ice... and the internal accelerometer has to calibrate itself to your stride first with an outdoor run, so I had to use my FR70 on the treadmill.

But I finally used it today, and it was glorious.  One of the most exciting things (besides for the fact that I picked up a signal pretty much instantaneously): I got the 620 over the 220 partly because I've grown so accustomed to four data fields that going down to three would drive me crazy.  The way I have it set, the top field is time.  The top and bottom fields have a bit more space than the middle two, which are side by side... so now, once I pass the one-hour mark, I can still see the seconds.  This doesn't sound like a big deal, but trust me, when you're trying to break 1:45 in a half marathon and all you can see on your watch is 1:44?  It's a big deal!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Tim_Easterday

It was a wet group run this morning. I checked the weather radar right after getting up and saw the line of heavy rain already moving into Georgia. I got out a little earlier than usual so I could get a few miles in before everyone showed up, and before the rain came (at least I hoped). My car showed 68°F outside and it really felt nice. My goal was 10 miles today and most of the group stops at 7 - that's the distance from town center and out to one end of the greenway and back. I got out while it was still dark and ran 3.5 miles and then met the group at 7:30 to start our run. It was raining off and on while I did my solo run but stopped right at 7:30. We had a great run out towards the end of the greenway. There was a warm breeze coming at us the entire way. Very humid, reminded me of late spring. We stopped short of the end because some of the group didn't want to run that far and we all knew rain was coming. As we turned around the sun started breaking out low in the sky. But it was only for a few minutes - soon after the western sky turned darker and the wind completely shifted direction. It was now an ice-cold wind and I was already wet and wearing a light t-shirt and shorts. As we were making our way back the rain started, turning heavier and heavier as the wind got even worse. At the same time my pace got quicker and quicker. The last two miles were a total downpour, and as we exited the greenway and climbed up to the town center parking area, we were greeted by the full force of the wind. At that point I was at 9.7 miles so I ran up and down the road getting pelted with stinging rain until I hit 10 miles. I was glad I keep towels in the car at all times! After saying our quick goodbyes I jumped in the car and now it was showing 57°F outside. It was nice to get into some dry clothes at home.

runlikeagirI

I can't believe you ran in that, Tim! I had to drive someone to the airport this morning.. the drive started a little after 7am and it was nothing but dry or misting the entire 40+ miles heading south, a very nice surprise! The drive back was fine...for about 10 minutes, then it was a monsoon with blow you off the road winds the entire rest of the way.  Major kudos for getting the extra miles in!

Tim_Easterday

Thanks Jennifer! I guess rain is a great motivator to run faster. I can't believe I ran those last two miles so fast. Hope to see ya on the next group run!

I can't believe you ran in that, Tim! I had to drive someone to the airport this morning.. the drive started a little after 7am and it was nothing but dry or misting the entire 40+ miles heading south, a very nice surprise! The drive back was fine...for about 10 minutes, then it was a monsoon with blow you off the road winds the entire rest of the way.  Major kudos for getting the extra miles in!

EdithRevisited

If you ask

Hello.   I'm still just a-running here.  The temperature was in the 50s on Saturday so I was wearing shorts without a hat, gloves, jacket, nor thick socks...almost felt naked on my long run!

My year in review... I participated in 15 races, in 11 of the 12 months (missed March, darn);  I had a PR in a 5K, 10 miler, half marathon, 20 miler, and the marathon (as well as some of my trail races which is really great!)   Running-wise, it's been a great year.  Personally, it's been hell since September.

My goals this year include racing at least once a month, running my first ultra (I want to run 50k in a 12 hour trail race on Labor Day),  and breaking 4 hours in the marathon, if, Lord willing, I am healthy to train and no catastrophic event occurs.

Merry Christmas everybody!

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                                • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                                • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)