Running after conservative care for lumbar herniated disc? (Read 49 times)

dansome

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has run into a situation similar to mine and can provide me any advice? Basically I'm 30yo, suffered a herniated disc back in March 2014. The pain wasn't so bad and so I foolishly/stubbornly continued to run and play sports, even though it was affecting my gait and I knew my strength in my left leg wasn't on par with my right leg. Then in May 2014 things hit the fan and suddenly one day my left leg goes completely numb and I start having a difficult time even walking. Saw the doc, got an MRI, showed disc herniated pushing on my Left S1 nerve root.

I've seen a neuro surgeon and an ortho spine guy and both told me I should wait at least 6 months before considering surgery due to my age and chances for recovery on its own. So fast forward to October 2014 and I've been through PT, acupuncture, and am starting to do yoga 1x/week. Admittedly, my symptoms are a lot better, I no longer limp when I walk, dont have a lot of numbness but of course, I still can't run because when I do, I can still feel the radicular pain down my leg. Even when I'm laying down on my back, I can still feel the neural tension when I raise my left leg in the air. Its actually not painful but I feel it enough to know its there, hence I'm not getting back to running anytime soon until all the neural tension/pain is gone as I don't want to repeat past mistakes. I realize people recover at different rates, should I still be hopeful that in a few months or so I'll be able to get back to running/playing sports again? I don't feel that surgery is necessary at this point as I'm fine with walking, working, etc, but it would def suck if I could never run again due to lingering nerve pain. Thanks for any help yall can provide!

Hip Redux

I've done two half marathons on a herniated L4/L5.  So it is possible, though everyone's situation is differnet.  But you do need to be fully back to "normal", otherwise you will build compensation and bad habits and all that.

Have you tried a cortisone epidural?  That's what finally got me over the hump of having radiating pain down the leg.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Yes it can be done.  I have a herniated disk and continue to run.  My spine doctor said running (and keeping weight down) would actually help with the pain.  Keeping your core strong and such is very important as well.  But everyone is different and my herniation isn't that bad - I felt leg numbness during a run last winter and had trouble walking for a few weeks so took it easy then.  Sometimes I have to be careful not to push myself too much and if I feel it acting up at all I slow to a walk.  I actually usually experience less pain while running than doing other activities.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

I had one a few years ago (L5).  I had to stop running for about a month due to pain. I also lost a lot of strength on my left side which caused hip problems months later which then made my back start to hurt.  I wound up going to PT to strengthen the left side. I now foam roll almost every morning (legs, hips, back). I do my PT hip exercises at least 5 times a week and have for probably a year or so.  I do dynamic stretching when I go to run after sitting at the office all day. Every once in a while it will remind me that it is there.  If I'm proactive, it gets better. If I ignored it, it would probably take me down again. If it starts to hurt, I will go to the chiro. After 41 miles on Saturday, it wasn't happy.  It was fine the next day with rest and foam rolling.

Sitting at work for hours on end makes it hurt so I try to get up every hour. Tight hip flexors often take a toll on the lower back. I have a foam roller at work and at home.

Not certain on your situation, of course.  I just know that as long as I keep on it, it seems to stay under control.

MTA: I will NEVER again do straight leg lifts.  I've tried it.  The next day I pay for it with back pain.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!