Post Race Party (Read 399 times)

Julia1971

I'm thinking of hosting a party after the marathon I'm running in March for my friends who are also running it.  But, I'm having trouble figuring out what time I should have it.  I've been polling people and am getting mixed opinions.  One said she'd be more likely to go if it's right after the race.  They're already out and once they go home, they're going to crash and not want to go back out.  Another said she's more likely to go if it's later in the afternoon.  That she would want to meet up with her family and then go home and shower before socializing.  The other complicating factor with having it soon after is that most of my friends are actually running the half.  So, they'd have to hang around after anyway.  Thoughts?

Hill Slug

I voted to not have the party because I tend to get really sick/weak after races.  (Not that you invited me, LOL)  I'm not sure if this is common.

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Could you provide shower/clean-up facilities?  I'd find that a strong draw.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Race in the morning.

Go home/hotel/shower/nap.

Party in the afternoon or early evening.

Get off my porch

DoppleBock

Depends on the race

There should be a chance to party right after ... beer is a great recovery drink.  I think of Grandmas:  Beer available immediately after and throught the morning and early afternoon. Later they have entertainment under the big tents + more beer.

But most, I am looking for a few beers immediately after.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

For races that run into the afternoon like ultras, right after the race works.  Otherwise, if you host it several hours after the race, there are usually folks that don't want/can't to hang around that long.  That said, 50% of them probably wouldn't hang around even if you held it right after the race...

MonkeyBunny

What about a pre race pasta party at your house?

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

FSBD

Race in the morning.

Go home/hotel/shower/nap.

Party in the afternoon or early evening.

This

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I voted to not have the party because I tend to get really sick/weak after races.  (Not that you invited me, LOL)  I'm not sure if this is common.

I think I just heard Julia invite all 4000 of her RA friends to her party. Smile

sugnim

To me, it would depend upon what the party will be like.  An informal, outdoor gathering with a barbecue or pizza would be better in the afternoon.  An indoor gathering with drinks and hors'dovers (I have no idea how to spell that) or a meal would be better in the evening.  Another option would be to have it the day or the weekend after the race.

Julia1971

I think I just heard Julia invite all 4000 of her RA friends to her party. Smile

Great. Now I have to hire bouncers. Smile

Where and when is this party? Do I have to run a marathon first? (That may or may not be a deal killer.)

Runners run

Maybe it's just indicative of my friends and I, but I would start the party immediately--and it would continue late enough that people wanting to shower/nap/eat first would be able and encouraged to come anyway.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

Julia1971

Where and when is this party? Do I have to run a marathon first? (That may or may not be a deal killer.)

RnR USA. Yes, you would have to run it. If not, a guy ironically nicknamed Tiny will be given your picture. (This applies to you, too, LedLincoln). Smile
                              LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

RnR USA. Yes, you would have to run it. If not, a guy ironically nicknamed Tiny will be given your picture. (This applies to you, too, LedLincoln). Smile

I knew that guy ironically named Tiny.  I looked up to him.