camel backs (Read 1858 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't think I would like a backpack model...I'm a sweaty gal. The waist-pack type is perfect...not too big, doesn't make me overheat. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Koruja

My only big issue I've had (and it's silly, but hey), is that I have to figure out a way to bring sports drink for longer runs. So far, I've used a water bottle and tucked it under the flap on my waist CB. No issues with it falling out, either, I was surprised. Of course, I checked it every 20 seconds.....I'm weird like that. Anyway, big thumbs up from me on hydration systems.
      Well, once a year when a go on my heathen vacation in the desert I pack two bladders in my camelback. One is filled with water and the other with wine. I'm sure the same concept could work with a sports drink instead. You can buy additional bladders of almost any size and fit them side by side and pull the straws out the same opening. Just a suggestion Wink
      Koruja

Yeah, but I want the water, too. It's only really an issue on my longer runs for mary training. I'm looking into using the little bottles like on a Fuel Belt (you can get 'em separate), or taking another bladder along for sports drink.
        Ah, well, you already thought of that. Always late to the party I am...
        Scout7

Or if they came in ninja black with night-vision goggles. That'd be good, too.
          Mine came in camo, and I had NVG's and body armor........
            I have a CamelBak Blowfish (don't know if they make them anymore). It is a lot smaller than the mule, but still holds 100 oz bladder. I only use it on runs > 5 miles, and only fill it with 5oz per mile planned. So if I run 10 miles, I fill it with 50 oz (50/50 water/gatorade). I snug it up tight and make sure to tuck in all the straps and I don't even know it is there, but sure glad it is around 4 miles when I start getting cotton mouth. I also like it for carrying gu, cell phone and mp3 player (sometimes I don't want the music, and other times I do). I don't plan on using it during the race(s) since everything should be provided. Best $80 I ever spent (if it wasn't for the gift card, probably wouldn't have splurged).
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wore mine for my HM and was really glad I had it. I cruised through the water stations that typically had a mob of people. I'm not good at drinking from a cup and I don't like to walk. If I were running a full marathon I would probably give myself walk breaks, but at this point I find that if I walk I have a REALLY hard time getting moving, again. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wasatch Speedgoat

I use a Camelback MULE and an Ultimate Direction Diablo. The Mule is great when I am going to be out longer than 6 hours without aid...I just fill the bladder up with my fuel and go. For the record, I use Hammer Nutrition's Sustained Energy. What I like about the Diablo is that it has a couple of pouches on the front to carry a camera or gels or whatever. It also has a couple of places to put gel flasks...but the best part of the Diablo is the bottle that is attached to the rear bottom. If i run out of fuel or want something different i can pull out that bottle and dip it in a stream or fill it at an aid station. If i am in a race where the aid stations are close, I'll just carry a hand bottle. Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Yeah, but I want the water, too. It's only really an issue on my longer runs for mary training. I'm looking into using the little bottles like on a Fuel Belt (you can get 'em separate), or taking another bladder along for sports drink.
                  I was just reading through some old threads to get ideas for my water bottle hunt and found this nifty water bottle which reminded me of this post... http://www.amazon.com/SWIGZ-Balance-Hydration-Sports-Bottle/dp/B000OZQVVS/ref=sr_1_17/105-9493415-5526043?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1190388298&sr=1-17
                    I have a Camelbak Charm, and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't use anything else for my longer runs. I thought having something on my back would be awful, but I barely notice it. The bladder flattens out nicely inside the pack. It's very lightweight. Love it!

Before my 50k, I was at a North Face outlet and they were having a huge sale. I got a $70 NF branded model for $17, so I figured that I would give it a try. I also got a hand held water bottle a week or so later, and that was what I wound up using during my race and have been using on my training runs (which have only been around 12 miles). I did use the backpack once, and I liked it, and will definitely be using it again. I can't see using it at a road marathon at all, though, but will definitly use it on a longer training run where I won't be able to refill my water bottle.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was just reading through some old threads to get ideas for my water bottle hunt and found this nifty water bottle which reminded me of this post... http://www.amazon.com/SWIGZ-Balance-Hydration-Sports-Bottle/dp/B000OZQVVS/ref=sr_1_17/105-9493415-5526043?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1190388298&sr=1-17
                        That's pretty ingenious. I wonder how easy it would be to clean, though...? k

~ Sarah Kay

I wonder how easy it would be to clean, though...?
                          I was wondering the same thing...found this:
                          top-rack dishwasher safe
                          Sounds easy to me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Before my 50k, I was at a North Face outlet and they were having a huge sale. I got a $70 NF branded model for $17, so I figured that I would give it a try. I also got a hand held water bottle a week or so later, and that was what I wound up using during my race and have been using on my training runs (which have only been around 12 miles). I did use the backpack once, and I liked it, and will definitely be using it again. I can't see using it at a road marathon at all, though, but will definitly use it on a longer training run where I won't be able to refill my water bottle.
                            Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use it at a race?
                            Sulli42

Is there a secret to sucking water through a plastic tube, while your body is gasping for more oxygen. I can't seem to do it Tight lipped. Do I need to change the type of bite valve I'm using, or something?
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dustin, I used a Camelbak for about a year, but that tube was always sort of tough for me to use. And the bladder kind of a PITA to clean. So this Spring I bought an Amphipod Full-Tilt belt and really like that much better. I'm mildly asthmatic, so I also had a tough time getting enough fluid in. The Full-Tilt belt works really well, since I can squeeze fluids into my mouth. I also have 2 smaller 10.5oz bottles that I can attach to the sides, which is perfect during hot weather runs. I would put Gatorade in the 20oz bottle along my back and plain water in the smaller bottles. So much easier to fill them when I do find a source of water mid-run, too. The Camelback was just not practical for being able to add more fluids to. k Edited because I misspelled Amphipod on the first try.

~ Sarah Kay