Disappointed in Mizuno (Read 1459 times)

I started my running journey three years ago.  Went to Fleet Feet and got properly fitted.  I have a wide foot and it seems like my choices are somewhat limited.  Anyway, I tried on 5 different shoes and the Wave Rider 11 was the only shoe that felt perfect when I put it on.  Since that day, I've worn through many Rider 11, 12, and 13's.  I'm close to retiring my last pair of 13's, and went to Fleet Feet yesterday to try on the new Rider 14's.  I was a little worried reading some reviews from others, but damn, they were right.  The fit has changed.  It no longer felt "perfect" on my foot.  The toe box is more narrow, and the back of the shoe seems to ride up a little higher and was rubbing against me when I went for a little run down the street.

After three years of being a loyal Mizuno wearer, it looks like I'm moving to the NIke Vomero.  This is the only other shoe that I've ever put on that felt good.  Ordered a pair from Running Warehouse yesterday (because of the free returns thing) and plan to get in a run with them Thursday or Friday. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Same thing happened to the Asics 2100 series. Each new version was worse than the last.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I have loved the Wave Inspire, but I just got a pair of 7's a couple of weeks ago.  I can run in them, but they feel more built up, the ankle cuff is definitely higher, and they don't feel as flexible.  I'd like to try the Elixir, but it does not come in a EE width.  Looks like I need to find something new to rotate with my Brooks Adrenalines.

I hate it when they mess with a good thing.  I also hate wearing a EE, since it severely limits by shoe options. 

"I aim to misbehave."

I find it a bit irritating the way shoe models change so much for year to year. For a couple of years Brooks Glycerin worked really well for me, but then they changed and they don't anymore.

FWIW I found that going up half a size from the 13 model worked quite well for me with Wave Rider 14s.

Feeling the growl again

Now you have me worried.  The whole reason I've worn Mizuno trainers exclusively since around 2003 is because they are the ONLY company I have found who does not constantly change the fit with each annual update.  Before, I was constantly searching for a well-fitting shoe.  I started with the Riders but have been in Precisions since about 2004-5.

I'm a couple months away from needing new shoes....I really, REALLY hope they haven't changed!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I find it a bit irritating the way shoe models change so much for year to year. For a couple of years Brooks Glycerin worked really well for me, but then they changed and they don't anymore.

FWIW I found that going up half a size from the 13 model worked quite well for me with Wave Rider 14s.

IMHO shoe companies unwittingly screw themselves.  Before I went to Mizuno I had several pairs of NB763s, and it seemed half the people at every road race were wearing that shoe.  Then they "updated" to the 764, which I hated the moment I put my foot in it...so did everyone else apparently, I never saw more than a pair or two worn around and they came out with the 765 unusually fast.  The 765 was a step back toward the 763 but never replicated the success of the 763.

I probably never would have found Mizuno and bought, oh, 40ish pairs of their shoes in the past several years if NB had just kept making the 763...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I have loved the Wave Inspire, but I just got a pair of 7's a couple of weeks ago.  I can run in them, but they feel more built up, the ankle cuff is definitely higher, and they don't feel as flexible.  I'd like to try the Elixir, but it does not come in a EE width.  Looks like I need to find something new to rotate with my Brooks Adrenalines.

I hate it when they mess with a good thing.  I also hate wearing a EE, since it severely limits by shoe options. 

Yep on the Inspire. I wear them around while doing other stuff, just to break them in.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I've been a big Wave Rider fan too and that concerns me.  The shoes that I have had the best luck with are the Riders and Brooks Defyance.  Brooks has discontinued the Defyance and replaced that with the Ghost.  I just started running in the Ghosts and so far they seem pretty comparable to the Defyance.  Only time will tell though.  I guess I'll be searching for the Rider clearance racks to get the 13's before they are gone for good.

I guess I'll be searching for the Rider clearance racks to get the 13's before they are gone for good.

That's what I did at the end of last year.  Found Riders in my size for $50 (1/2 off).  Bought two pairs.  I've been searching but can't find anymore in my size or width.

I have the same problem with NB......loved the NB1062 and eventually wore out 5 pairs......the 1063 felt about the same to me and I had one pair.  But the 1064's are tighter in the toes.....I am able to compensate with slightly thinner socks but they just dont fit like the NB 1062 which Im convinced someone orignally designed specifically with my foot in mind.....

I feel your pain.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

fake it till you make it

I am (was?) a wave rider fan too- never had any complaints.  Bought 3 pairs of the 13s, 2 of the 3 are pretty much worn out, so opened my new box of 14's to put into rotation and thought maybe they accidently shipped me the wrong shoe.  The heel is built up taller than the 13s, the toe box is far narrower (my pinky toe just isnt fitting in there anymore) and the length is shorter- these would be a nightmare on long runs.  Wish I would've bought several dozen of the 12s or 13s which were perfect for me.  Now I'm dealing with an injury so not an idea time to scope out new shoes.

Damn you mizuno! We had good thing going and then you had to go and change on me...

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I just switched over to the Wave Rider 14 last month and love it. I had never worn Mizuno shoes before. I wanted to switch over from a support shoe to a neutral shoe and Athletic Annex let me run up and down the sidewalk in half a dozen different shoes and the Wave Rider 14 fit and felt the best. I wonder if I would have liked the previous versions.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I've been a big Wave Rider fan too and that concerns me.  The shoes that I have had the best luck with are the Riders and Brooks Defyance.  Brooks has discontinued the Defyance and replaced that with the Ghost.  I just started running in the Ghosts and so far they seem pretty comparable to the Defyance.  Only time will tell though.  I guess I'll be searching for the Rider clearance racks to get the 13's before they are gone for good.

Brooks isn't discontinuing the Defyance, they are currently selling the Defyance 4, as well as the Ghost 3. That being said, i've fit people who used to wear the Defyance 3 in the new model and some have said that they didn't like the new higher arch in the 4s. In that aspect, Ghosts are more similar to the previous Defyances.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Same thing happened to the Asics 2100 series. Each new version was worse than the last.

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/